Hash is healthy!

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by UNIVERSE TODAY, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phlogistician Banned Banned

PROLONGED USE. Can't you read? Have you not paid any attention to anything written in this thread? Are you really such a bonehead?

Again you go off topic. We are not talking about 'any drug'. We are talking about the detrimental effects of just one, Cannabis. Stop making excuses for it, and admit it has a downside.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yeah, it's because you lack the mental acuity to reply to my posts.

Don't feel bad MetaKron, maybe someday they'll discover a drug to make you clever. I hope so, I really do, because I'd love for you to learn how stupid you once were.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

i don't see how legalizing pot will keep it out of the hands of our young people.
    in fact legalizing pot will have the opposite effect

to be honest i don't see pot being legal for recreational use.
    i believe that it will be decriminalized to the point of having 3 or 4 joints will probably be confiscated as the only punishment.
    there are a number of reasons i say this.
    1. we already have a legal drug, alcohol.
    2. long term heavy use of pot leads to lack of motivation/apathy in users.
    3. marijuana is a gateway drug. metakron continues to deny this for some reason.
    4. if we legalize pot then where is it going to end? one national drug is enough.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

okay. as soon as you admit aspirin has a downside

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't see how it could be made legal for recreational use either, but it could at least be made available as a controlled substance for those who can utilize it medicinally. There will always be abuse of course like there is for other controlled substances.

What I am seriously concerned about is the image that cannabis had of being a "safe" drug; a lot of young people who use it are so convinced that it is safe and that all the evidence against it being unsafe on prolonged use are propaganda that they do not regulate their usage of it. What I would aim for is to at least make sure the knowledge is available. e.g. knowing the effects of heroin e.g. has restricted its use as a recreational drug mostly to serious users while almost 50% of people in the US "try" cannabis. Just knowing the effects may help people to decide if they want to use it, and if yes, then how much.

If you look at this link, you will see that "awareness" does affect use.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/HSYouthtrends.html

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

You are building a straw man. The debate is NOT ABOUT OTHER DRUGS. Also, I already said Aspirin did, are you incapable of comprehension? Jesus christ you are a moron.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

where?

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

Why have you now picked Aspirin btw? You started banging on about Penicillin, and have now switched to Aspirin, but it's just another straw man, it doesn't lend your argument any credibility.

Stick to the topic, please. Btw, I used the phrase 'relative safety vs proven pharmaceuticals' in reply to your aspirin rant. So I wan't saying they were perfect, was I?

Now get back to the topic. Admit Cannabis has a downside, and stop building straw men,

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

a number of things come to mind
    1. no
    2. make me
    3. i don't wanna
    take your pick
    ah yes i forgot number 4
    4. your nose

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Sam, if you had a real conscience you would just shut up.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I just cannot get what your problem is MetaKron.

However I have nothing more to say here so I'm done.

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

MYTH: MARIJUANA'S HARMS HAVE BEEN PROVED SCIENTIFICALLY.

FACT:In 1995, based on thirty years of scientific research editors of the British medical journal Lancet concluded that "the smoking of cannabis, even long term, is not harmful to health.

MYTH: MARIJUANA IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE.

FACT:Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild.

MYTH: MARIJUANA KILLS BRAIN CELLS.

FACT:None of the medical tests currently used to detect brain damage in humans have found harm from marijuana, even from long term high-dose use.

MYTH: MARIJUANA CAN CAUSE PERMANENT MENTAL ILLNESS.

FACT: There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults.

MYTH: MARIJUANA USE DURING PREGNANCY DAMAGES THE FETUS.

FACT: Studies of newborns, infants, and children show no consistent physical, developmental, or cognitive deficits related to prenatal marijuana exposure. Marijuana had no reliable impact on birth size, length of gestation, neurological development, or the occurrence of physical abnormalities. The administration of hundreds of tests to older children has revealed only minor differences between offspring of marijuana users and nonusers, and some are positive rather than negative.

MYTH: MARIJUANA RELATED HOSPITAL EMERGENCIES ARE INCREASING, PARTICULARLY AMONG YOUTH.

FACT: Marijuana does not cause overdose deaths. The number of people in hospital emergency rooms who say they have used marijuana has increased. On this basis, the visit may be recorded as marijuana-related even if marijuana had nothing to do with the medical condition preceding the hospital visit.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

16. Kat9Lives Registered Senior Member

I think it's not bad for you as long as you keep it what it claims to be "a recreational drug", once it becomes a habit and you "need" it everyday it can muddle up your mind a little.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

Leopold, citing 11 year old research which has since been proven false is not aiding your case. Recent exhaustive studies have shown that early use of Cannabis, and regular use doubles the risk of developing Schizophrenia.

So stop building straw men, and wise up.

MetaKron, grow up.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

links?

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

Two decades of research show that marijuana use may actually reduce driver accidents.

The effects of marijuana use on driving performance have been extensively researched over the last 20 years. All major studies show that marijuana consumption has little or no effect on driving ability, and may actually reduce accidents. Here's a summary of the biggest studies into pot use and driving.

A 1983 study by the US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) concluded that the only significant affect of cannabis use was slower driving - arguably a positive effect of driving high.

A comprehensive 1992 NHTSA study revealed that pot is rarely involved in driving accidents, except when combined with alcohol. The study concluded that "the THC-only drivers had an [accident] responsibility rate below that of the drug free drivers." This study was buried for six years and not released until 1998.

A 1993 NHTSA study dosed Dutch drivers with THC and tested them on real Dutch roads. It concluded that THC caused no impairment except for a slight deficiency in the driver's ability to "maintain a steady lateral position on the road." This means that the THC-dosed drivers had a little trouble staying smack in the center of their lanes, but showed no other problems. The study noted that the effects of even high doses of THC were far less than that of alcohol or many prescription drugs. The study concluded that "THC's adverse effects on driving performance appear relatively small."

A massive 1998 study by the University of Adelaide and Transport South Australia examined blood samples from drivers involved in 2,500 accidents. It found that drivers with only cannabis in their systems were slightly less likely to cause accidents than those without. Drivers with both marijuana and alcohol did have a high accident responsibility rate. The report concluded, "there was no indication that marijuana by itself was a cause of fatal accidents."

In Canada, a 1999 University of Toronto meta-analysis of studies into pot and driving showed that drivers who consumed a moderate amount of pot typically refrained from passing cars and drove at a more consistent speed. The analysis also confirmed that marijuana taken alone does not increase a driver's risk of causing an accident.

A major study done by the UK Transport Research Laboratory in 2000 found that drivers under the influence of cannabis were more cautious and less likely to drive dangerously. The study examined the effects of marijuana use on drivers through four weeks of tests on driving simulators. The study was commissioned specifically to show that marijuana was impairing, and the british government was embarrassed with the study's conclusion that "marijuana users drive more safely under the influence of cannabis."

According to the Cannabis and Driving report, a comprehensive literature review published in 2000 by the UK Department of Transportation, "the majority of evidence suggests that cannabis use may result in a lower risk of [accident] culpability."

The Canadian Senate issued a major report into all aspects of marijuana in 2002. Their chapter on Driving under the influence of cannabis concludes that "Cannabis alone, particularly in low doses, has little effect on the skills involved in automobile driving."

The most recent study into drugs and driving was published in the July 2004 Journal of Accident Analysis and Prevention. Researchers at the Dutch Institute for Road Safety Research analyzed blood tests from those in traffic accidents, and found that even people with blood alcohol between 0.5% and 0.8% (below the legal limit) had a five-fold increase in the risk of serious accident. Drivers above the legal alcohol limit were 15 times more likely to have a collision. Drugs like Valium and Rohypnol produced results similar to alcohol, while cocaine and opiates showed only a small but "not statistically significant" increase in accident risk. As for the marijuana-only users? They showed absolutely no increased risk of accidents at all.
    http://cannabisculture.com/articles/4131.html

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are you advocating marijuana for safer driving?

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

what i want to imply is that THC is safer than alcohol when driving.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why is that important ?

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Even when their results repeatedly show this, they don't want to admit that people drive more safely under the influence of marijuana.

Users of caffeine, nicotine, and cocaine tend to make the same kinds of bad decisions. These bad decisions are the kind that are made by people who are "edgy", who think that the more aggressive decision is the better one. Aggressive driving is a huge cause of accidents. It creates situations that don't exist in normal driving. People who do not drive aggressively, like people who are relaxed under the influence of marijuana, do not crowd you over to pass you on the wrong side on a pair of merging lanes. They do not weave through traffic. They do not cut you off when you are trying to change lanes.

Aggressive people who are under the influence of stimulants like caffeine, nicotine, or cocaine will kill their own children to get home 30 seconds earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.