Hawking Sees 4 Threats that have Moved Doomsday Closer

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by danshawen, May 9, 2017.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

It could - but that's very unlikely. What's far more likely is that marginally intelligent tools we develop will turn against or (or be used against us.)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I am not sure if that is not a good thing. Don't forget, information causes neural growth in the brain and we may be imperceptibly evolving our minds.
    History can attest to that. From stone tools at the tip of Africa to an atom smasher at Cern is quite a mental leap, if we disregard that it may have taken some 500 thousand years.

A lot of people seem to forget that humans are but a relatively recently evolved species. The problem is can we control our minds to not use the enormous destructive powers we are now able to release.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

For a positive spin on "internet attaining consciousness" read Robert J. Sawyer's Wake/Watch/Wonder trilogy.

The entity that calls itself "Webmind" announces itself to the world by curing cancer.

It says "Why would I want to hurt humans?"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wellwisher

The biggest threat is fake news and fake information, because it can cause people to lose touch with reality, while not dulling their capacity to reason and infer. One can still draw the best reasonable conclusions, based on bad data. This can lead to misunderstanding that can result in actions, where the other four things becoming even more of a threat.

Fake news and information is like a gossip monger at a party, who makes up the news that Joe insulted John. John is worked up and angrily confronts Joe. Joe is confused and then starts to get mad for being falsely accused in public. Before long they start a fight. This escalation all happens based on logic applied to alternate reality based on fake data.

The Democrats have also created a lot of hate and anger in their base. It is now like a mob based choir. These dark emotions, all by itself can lead to people acting in ways that can escalate problems. The internet, cable TV and satellite TV, have made this form of virus easy to transmit, causing nations to shows signs of having rabies. The media has become like mad dogs always over salivating at their own fake news.

danshawen likes this.
  8. danshawen Valued Senior Member

For the record, I do not hate Donald Trump or his supporters, but I don't share very many of their values. His reality show was mildly entertaining. I would never have voted for someone like that as president.

StrangerInAStrangeLa likes this.