He or she?!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Athelwulf, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Look, I changed my custom user title...aren't you a happy lippy chappy now?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Dammit monkey, don't mock the poor kid.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

How did you come to that conclusion, i ask a question based on something jennyrater said. I asked because I don't consider movie to be a true display of a nations culture, and there for wondered how much truth there was to it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

Kunax–
    You said this,
    Which made me think you had seen it in a movie.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I changed it again, because gender and IQ were not as informative as 'Resident monkey' in my humble opinion.

9. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

invert_nexus,

Then stop posting in the thread.

Whatever.

A user would get to choose whether or not sy sex was displayed anyway. But sou's more likely to have it displayed it if sou was actually prompted.

Yeah. It's called sarcasm. Did you not see the sarcasm point at the end of that sentense referring to Spurious?

The idea is that so I know the sex of new users, or so new users can know the sex of an old user. The idea is that no one goes through the unnecessary embarassment of accidentally referring to a female user as a he (like I've done to analbeads), or a male user as a she.

Why? I'm graying it out. Ya barely see it.

Roman,

Actually, it's not really our country. The Native Americans are the real Americans. I'm a foreigner that happened to be born here of parents that also happened to be born here. My family lineage has only been here for about 400 years. I'm European.

The topic for my thread is set in stone until either a mod or I change it. SciForums rules say you cannot post off-topic posts.
    You're out-smarted.

You can debate my topic, or you can leave the thread alone. I would do the same for any thread of yours, so I'm not asking of you something I don't want asked of me.

You've already voiced yer opinion on the matter, so I suggest you do the latter.

Ooh, that rhymed.

What kid?

spuriousmonkey,

At least now people won't mistake spuriousmonkey's sex or scholarly degree.

Fine.

90 posts to go!

10. Roman Banned Banned

It obviously is not, because look at how far we've digressed. Hahaha.
    Mmmm irony.

11. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

What I don't like about member anonymity is it's very hard figuring out what sex that member is unless they say something that would indicate it. But that's not very often.

Is there a feature on SciForums where the member's sex can be displayed?

— Peace, Love, Health, and Happiness to all! Âðelwulf.

(In case ye'r too thick-headed to notice, I'm restarting the discussion. This time, stay on topic or don't post here. It's that simple.)

88 posts to go!

12. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Athel why dont you just use what ever gender you think the person your talking to is, if said person fells like correcting you he/she will. How sure can you be on them telling the truth anyway.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Indeed, everybody knows you are a tiger kunax....coming here pretending to be human....how dishonest....

14. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Something I posted earlier:

The idea is that so I know the sex of new users, or so new users can know the sex of an old user. The idea is that no one goes through the unnecessary embarassment of accidentally referring to a female user as a he (like I've done to analbeads), or a male user as a she.

Well if a guy wants to be called a she, and a girl a he, that's his/her choice. I don't really care if they're lying to me, kuz they obviously want me to refer to them as if they were the opposite sex.

82 posts to go!

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You can actually easily avoid ever using he or she (that refers to another member) in any post.

I will give you the homework assignment now to not use he or she for the next 6 months.

Dr. Spuriousmonkey.

16. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

No I can't.

And if I don't do it, or I fail?

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

just don't refer to anyone in third person, and if you really have to do it, just refer to them by name. How difficult is that?

18. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

It's not so much difficult as it is unnecessary. I'll show ya what I posted earlier:

Ya know what Avatar did yesterday? Avatar saw whitewolf at the coffee shop. Avatar asked whitewolf what whitewolf was gonna do tomorrow, and whitewolf told Avatar that whitewolf was planning to see Avatar again at that same coffee shop. Avatar realized that Avatar has an appointment at that time and can't make it. Avatar tells whitewolf this, and whitewolf changes whitewolf's plans so that whitewolf can see whitewolf's parents at that time.

That gets very tiring, very fast.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

And why would you be telling these third person narratives featuring new members whose sex you aren't aware of?

You know that Whitewolf is female and Avatar is male. Correct?

So. What's the problem?

20. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I think we should use this thread to talk about tigers.

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I'm parodizing it to show how old it can get.

Yeah.

I already posted the problem. If ya keep missing it, you really need to develop yer reading comprehension skills.

I think you should start another thread about tigers.

Besides . . . No one cares what you think.

. . . Well, I don't . . . I don't know about other people, though.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Get off your fucking high horse, boy. No one. NO ONE likes your fucking idea. Give it up.

Your 'problem' is that you don't want to 'embarass' people by calling them a he when they're a she or vice versa. (As if that were really such a horrible embarrasment. I mean, can't you just imagine someone running to the corner and crying in shame because you talked about them with the wrong pronoun?)

Your 'problem' is specifically in regard to new members who you don't know and therefore are unable to say for sure whether they're male or female.

Your 'example' of how the 'problem' manifests was a third person narrative featuring two forum members whose sexes are not in question.

Your 'example' of the 'problem' would not relate to new members as you would not be telling third person narratives featuring said members with doubful sexuality.

Therefore your 'problem' is in your head. Whatever slight difficulty might be found in this sexual ambiguity can be utterly erased by a simple method. Not talking about people. You only experience this pronoun problem when talking about and not to someone. Right?

You have no 'problem' other than what is called beating a dead fucking horse.
    You feel put upon because people have become annoyed by:
    a.) your lippiness (amused, actually)
    b.) your 'xx post to go!' bullshit.
    c.) the lack of content in the vast majority of your posts.

So, you feel the need to show yourself as some strong, virile male all grown up and ready to kill tigers in the jungle and think that this he/she 'problem' is an excellent example of a tiger just asking to be killed by the great white hunter.

But, your idea will go nowhere because it's fucking lame. Lamer than Harry fucking Potter and Poke fucking mon.
    But, I will give you this. It's not as lame as your 'xx posts to go!' If that's any comfort whatsoever to you.

Shit. This thread could be far more effectively argued thusly:

Blah blah blah?
    Blah.
    Blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blha blah blah blah.
    Blah blah blah blah.

Blah.

:m:

23. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

You find that embarassming! well its not, its just a side effect of the media your using, hardly embarassing.
    Again if people want you to know there gender, they will let you know, where not let them keep there anonymity until them.

Well, once i ate a human, so once i was partly human

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.