Hello...Earth to Excel?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by wegs, Aug 27, 2019.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So, I'm getting ''Excel is not responding'' messages across the top of spreadsheets on occasion, when I'm waiting for Excel to load a workbook or worksheet. (After I click on the file that I'm desiring to open) I've googled possible reasons behind this ''freeze,'' and a potential issue could be due to not having downloaded new updates. In my case, that's not true. I haven't received a new update warning, so to the best of my knowledge, there are no new updates.

What could be the cause of these occasional freezes, then? Even though it's not the end of the world, it's still annoying to have to wait an extra 30-60 seconds or so, for a workbook or document to appear on my screen, or allow for edits, etc.

Does this ever happen to you?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Is this Excel online? Are your files or app in the cloud?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

No, it's not online...which is why I'm so confused. :/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Excel has unionized and the periodic breaks are programmed in. It will respond when the break is over. Hopefully you don't try to use it on Friday as it has now gone to a 4 day work week.

I hope this helps.

wegs likes this.
  8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Lol

How dare you post Republican propaganda in this thread?!

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That's what "we" do.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If it had, the delays would be predictable and their reasons explicit - thus removing much of the frustration, compared with what the explicitly anti union and arbitrarily abusive Microsoft monopoly imposes on its customers/victims.

Not having it "programmed in" is the cause of the majority of the frustration with it, and a major clue to the harm that wretched and hack-friendly software does to everyone in the US economy - even to those adept enough to avoid dealing with it directly.

You are indeed posting Republican propaganda in all these threads - and even when you are inventing, you can't avoid falsehood of implication. Republican propaganda is all lies and slanders, slimy and vicious crap, ugly stuff, even when its perps are pretending to be lighthearted and "fun".

It's perps are hurting people, and laughing about it - that's a symptom, guys.

11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

So, do you know what is causing Weg's Excel problem?

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Doesn't matter.
    And none of your business.
    Irrelevancies in pursuit of personal insult - the standard alternative to falsehoods in pursuit of personal insult, presented as a question for denial of accountability.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Which do you prefer, irrelevancies or falsehoods? I don't actually care if you have the answer to Weg's problem but she does so if you have the answer let's have it.

I realize that you are misunderstood and it's not fair but that's life.

14. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Happens too frequently, especially at work. The usual cause is the spreadsheet is too large and contains vast numbers of calculations and links, and when it loads it tries to recalculate everything. Then it eventually stops and tells you it can’t update everything. Gee. Thanks, Excel. Sometimes it just freezes, though, and no amount of waiting will get it to snap out of

I’ve had similar issues with my home PC in the past when I had low RAM (8Gb), when running other applications that were taking up significant CPU %.

It may be a virus; or your Excel install may have developed a fault, in which case a clean install might resolve the issue.

Is it a specific file you have these issues with, or any does it happen with any file?

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Yep it happens all the time. I usually just wait it out until it starts responding again.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

All files and workbooks, Sarkus. It's through my work laptop.

We shouldn't have to wait, though.

17. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Should we have to wait if it is creating more jobs or better working conditions?

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

No! I hate waiting. ^_^

19. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Have you tried a clean re-install?

20. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

If it is your work laptop then it may well be anti-virus checker or some background process slowing your Laptop down.
    I’m guessing a clean install isn’t something you can do yourself? Or does your work allow you to install whatever you want?

If you have an IT department, tell them you’ve got an issue and that, yes, you’ve tried switching it on and off again.

wegs likes this.
  21. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

And then threaten to send them to a job where they'll actually have to work. Does the trick every time.

wegs and Sarkus like this.
  22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I refuse to exert myself anymore when it comes to IT issues. I had a problem a few months ago (and it's been ongoing, just not as frequent) with an annoying error message popping up in my email, warning me that I'm running out of space. Whatever!!

23. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You're working too hard. I think the 4 day work week will clear up your computer problems as well!

wegs likes this.