help: DIY heads up display

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by snowfox222, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

It's a little harder to change resolutions, than just changing a resistor. Not being a smart-ass or anything...but do you know how to read the color codes on a resistor yet? or know how to read a schematic? It's a good thing to know. Plus...anything that small isn't going to have discreet resistors all over the board, the enitire circuit will be in a single custom made super small IC.

The real trick will be making two proprietary systems talk with each other...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

HUDs don't display things that close: the focus of the image is "at infinity" so the distance to the "screen" doesn't matter.
    This is why and how the USAF among others is looking for in-helmet projected data for pilots of combat aircraft.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the info Oli...I know more about electronics than eyes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So if the military is still looking...what'd ya think are the chances that someone with very little engineering experience could build a working prototype out of consumer-available parts? Slim to nil?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Who built the world's best-selling/ working air-air missile?
    (Just a thought...

)

8. buahahahahaha ive got it working.....sort of

i took apart an old old digital camera,scrapped all the parts i didnt need like the lense and frame and rebuilt it into a new smaller frame for all the hardware and circuitry
    after that i made a direct connection in place of the actual camera eye to an svideo cord

once i had that all i had to was setup my laptop to run on the same pixel ratio and size

the only thing "technically" that i have left to do is fit the screen to the right lens and an old pair of aviators

btw. would you know where i could get ribbon extenders maybe ten inch length
    having a bulky camera near my head would be a bit of a drag.

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Welp ---- my idea definitely wouldn't be "cheap" or easy.....or attainable by the average chump twiddling around in his garage...... but........

Seems like you could make a lens for your goggles using the same technology as those transparent LCD clocks. Have you seen those before?

Here's a link to a picture of one
    http://www.dorpo.com/pictures/pro_basic/DP-053H.JPG

Imagine something like that integrated into the glass/plastic at one of the the corners of the goggle

How much data would you need displayed for paintball besides ammo right? I guess you could make it fancy and add current heading, gps coordinates, current temperature, current time (anything relevant --limited to text or numbers)

Should be lightweight seeing as how those clocks are powered by a couple of AA batteries.

Assuming you could solve the "field of vision" problem, it might be kinda cool. Maybe a little bifocal area?

10. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I used to have a set of laser guns which came with wearable targets and a HUD back in 1998. All I remember is that it covered both eyes, was slightly tinted and was really clear. No idea how it worked, as it never interested me back then. I was too busy fighting.

11. Jetex Jim Registered Member

See, Dr Karlo Kopp for all military tech related explanations
    search on ausairpower, helmet mounted display.

But of course these video game glasses come close, and on a non-military budget. One or two have flown RC model planes with onboard video transmitters using glasses such as these. (1st person control)

dang it won't let me post links, google on i-glassesstore

12. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Cool...I'd like to see that. How did you covert the analog signal of the S-video cable to the digital inputs of the CCD sensor?

13. Jetex Jim Registered Member

14. Foxer Registered Member

Do you think that this might have any signifigance?

planarembedded.com/transparent

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  15. hopefully the ending product will look like a normal pair of sunglasses with a small circuit board encased on the side

along side that im making a mouse scratch pad in a whatch frame or atleast have it on my wrist maybe even a key board if im ambitious

as soon as all this is finished im going to try to patent the design as a true personal computer

buahahahahahaha!

wow im nerdy for a girl

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

??????????

PAL and NTSC are different formats, ... 625 lines vs 525, not many pieces of equipment support both. PAL is superior quality, so that's hardly a problem.

17. Jonnysmoof Registered Member

Some things to look at for your heads up display

do a google image search for a company called XYBERNAUT. They were doing cool stuff like 10 years ago that may be relivent to you now. And cheep.

Also Look at this heads up useability open house i found. The applications are endless... DUB.DUB.DUB.uqul.uq.edu.au/articles/uqulopenhouse/index.html

If you build it, and it works i want one too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.