Help integrating a function

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by arfa brane, May 11, 2016.

1. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well, I tried a change of variables, substituting x = nt/2 so f(t) -> f(2x/n). Taking the limit of n we then have:

\( \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{f(0)}{\pi} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Bigl [ \frac {sin(x)}{n\,sin(x/2)} \Bigr ]^2\, dx \)​

Now I need to show that the integral equals \( \pi \). I can do that if I can show:

\( \lim_{n \to \infty} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Bigl [ \frac {sin(x)}{n\,sin(x/2)} \Bigr ]\, dx = \sqrt {\pi } \)​

Since sin(x) is symmetric about 0, this is equivalent to showing:

\( \lim_{n \to \infty} \int\limits_{0}^{\infty} \Bigl [ \frac {sin(x)}{n\,sin(x/2)} \Bigr ]\, dx = \frac { \sqrt \pi }{2} \)
    I can see that the limit of n and the upper limit of integration are the same, but not sure how that helps.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

I don't follow how you removed f(t) from the integral and don't think you've done the substitution uniformly.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Well, I assume I can do:

\( lim_{n \to \infty} f(2x/n) = f(0) \), and still take the limit of n in the rest of the integrand.
    Ah, I see that I have made a mistake in the substitution, it should be:

\( \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{f(0)}{\pi} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Bigl [ \frac {sin(x)}{n\,sin(x/n)} \Bigr ]^2\, dx \)​

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Substitute x = nt so f(t) -> f(x/n). I was a bit unsure about the factor of 2 disappearing in the limit.

\( \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{f(0)}{2\pi} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Bigl [ \frac {sin(x/2)}{n\,sin(x/2n)} \Bigr ]^2\, dx \)​

Trigonometric substitutions.

\( sin^2(x/2) = \left[1 - cos(x)\right]/2 = 1 - cos^2(x/2) \)
    So I can write

\( \frac{sin^2(x/2)}{n^2\,sin^2(x/2n)} = \frac{1 - cos(x)}{n^2\left[1 - cos(x/n)\right]} = \frac{1 - cos(x)}{n^2\left[1 - cos^2(x/2n)\right]}\)​

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  8. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

I think your source has a typo that might be made clear in context.

\(\frac{1}{2 \pi n} \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sum_{k=1-n}^{n-1} \frac{n - | k |}{n} e^{ikt} \\ \quad \quad \quad = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sum_{k=1-n}^{n-1} \frac{n - | k |}{n} e^{ikt} \)

Thus \(\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{1}{2 \pi n} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sum_{k=1-n}^{n-1} \frac{n - | k |}{n} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} e^{ikt} dt = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} e^{0} dt = \frac{2 \pi}{2 \pi} = 1\)

But \(0 \leq \frac{1}{2 \pi n} \int_{\epsilon}^{\pi} \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt \leq \frac{1}{2 \pi n} \int_{\epsilon}^{\pi} \frac{1 }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt = \frac{ \cot \frac{\epsilon}{2} }{ \pi n } \) for \( 0 \lt \epsilon \lt \pi\).

Since \( \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{ \cot \frac{\epsilon}{2} }{ \pi n } = 0\) it follows that \(\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{1}{2 \pi n} \int_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon} \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt = 1\) no matter how small \(\epsilon\) was.

Since \(f(t) \approx f(0) + t f'(0)\) in a small neighborhood of 0, it follows that
    \(\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{1}{2 \pi n} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t) \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt \\ \quad \quad \quad = \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{1}{2 \pi n} \int_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon} \left( f(0) + t f'(0) \right) \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt \\ \quad \quad \quad = \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{1}{2 \pi n} \left ( \int_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon} f(0) \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt + \int_{-\epsilon}^{0} t f'(0) \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt + \int_{0}^{\epsilon} t f'(0) \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt \right) \\ \quad \quad \quad = \lim_{n\to\infty} f(0) \frac{1}{2 \pi n} \int_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon} \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } dt \\ \quad \quad \quad = f(0) \)

Confused2 likes this.
  9. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I can appreciate why engineers have lookup tables.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks for all that, it could take me a while to follow your working.

10. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

It looks absolutely beautiful (hence the like). I wish I had time to go through it.

11. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I would like to know how the expansion is done, in the first line of equations:

\(\frac{1}{2 \pi n} \frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2} }{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2} } = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sum_{k=1-n}^{n-1} \frac{n - | k |}{n} e^{ikt} \\ \quad \quad \quad = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sum_{k=1-n}^{n-1} \frac{n - | k |}{n} e^{ikt} \)

12. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

\(e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x\)

\(\sin x = \frac{e^{ix} - e^{-ix}}{2i} \)

\(\sin \frac{n t}{2} = \frac{e^{\frac{i n t}{2}} - e^{\frac{-i n t}{2}}}{2i} \)

\( \frac{\sin \frac{n t}{2}}{\sin \frac{t}{2}} \\ = \frac{e^{\frac{i n t}{2}} - e^{\frac{-i n t}{2}}}{e^{\frac{i t}{2}} - e^{\frac{-i t}{2}}} \\ = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} e^{\frac{i ( 2k + 1 - n) t}{2}} \)

The last equality is a topic for proof by induction, but even without that it will soon be obviously true.

\(\frac{\sin^2 \frac{n t}{2}}{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2}} \\ = \left( \sum_{j=0}^{n-1} e^{\frac{i ( 2j + 1 - n) t}{2}} \right) \left( \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} e^{\frac{-i ( 2k + 1 - n) t}{2}} \right) \\ = \sum_{j=0}^{n-1} \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} e^{\frac{i (2j-2k) t}{2}} \\ = \sum_{j=0}^{n-1} \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} e^{i (j-k) t} \\ = \sum_{\ell = 1-n}^{n-1} \sum_{m=1}^{n - | \ell |} e^{i \ell t} \\ = \sum_{k=1-n}^{n-1} ( n - | k | ) e^{i k t} \)

Just a bit of heavy lifting for fun.

See how we got from \( \sum_{j=0}^{n-1} \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} f(j-k) \) to \(\sum_{\ell = 1-n}^{n-1} \sum_{m=1}^{n - | \ell |} f(\ell) \) ?

\( \begin{matrix} f(0) & f(1) & f(2) & \dots \\ f(-1) & f(0) & f(1) & \dots \\ f(-2) & f(-1) & f(0) & \dots \\ \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \ddots \end{matrix} \)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I haven't been ignoring this thread, my excuse being that my partner's laptop is in for repairs and mine has been commandeered for higher purposes.

But I am trying to prove by induction, rpenner's equality and see where the lesson is in the question--the sentence with ? at the end.

14. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

What rpenner's solution does is use a closed form, a sum over n-1 terms, which is convergent. I thought it was some kind of known expansion at first, related to maybe the Taylor expansion of the sine function.

Anyway, replacing variables doesn't seem to lead anywhere useful, but I can at least save some typing by replacing t/2 with x.

So we want to first show something like:

\( \frac {sin\,nx}{sin\,x} = \frac {e^{nx} - e^{-nx}}{e^x -e^{-x}} = \Sigma(n,x) \)​

where \( \Sigma(n,x) \) is a closed form, a function of n and x.

This is equivalent to showing:

\( e^{nx} - e^{-nx} = \Sigma(n,x)(e^x -e^{-x}) \)​

Which means we want a sum where everything cancels except the two terms on the left.

And rpenner has: \( \Sigma(n,x) = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} e^{i (2k + 1 - n) x} \)

I can work backwards and show that it is a closed form solution, then work out how the induction on n gives that solution. Except I have to step away from the laptop just now.

15. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

If I begin counting at 0, there are n terms.
    If there are finite number of terms, then it is always defined. "Convergent" applies to infinite sums which are defined.

I think it would be simpler to replace \(e^{\frac{it}{2}}\) with x and then you have something like a polynomial in both positive and negative powers of x.

16. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Yes. I don't know why I posted that, since I had already worked out there are n terms in the sum. Or more concisely, there is a zeroth term when n = 1 in your expression.
    Ok, but it's a delta distribution sequence (function), the limit of n in the integration is +infinity. Are you saying there needs to be a proof that the expression is a closed form?
    Ok, so you define: \( x = e^{it/2} \)

So then \( e^{int/2} = x^n \), and \( e^{i(2k + 1 - n)t/2} = x^{(2k + 1 - n)} \).

So now we write:

\( \frac {x^n - x ^{-n}}{x - x ^{-1}} = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} x^{(2k + 1 -n)} \Rightarrow x^n - x ^{-n} = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} x^{(2k + 1 -n)}(x - x ^{-1}) = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \left[ x^{(2k + 2 - n)} - x^{(2k - n)}\right] \)​

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  17. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Then as k varies from n - 1 down to zero:

\( \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \left[ x^{(2k + 2 - n)} - x^{(2k - n)}\right] = x^n - x^{n-2} + x^{n-2} - x^{n-4} + x^{n-4}... - x^{n-j} + x^{n-j} - x^{n- (j + 2)} + ... \)

When j = 2n - 2, the last term will be \( x^{n - 2n} \).

18. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Inductively you have a kth pair of summands, for some k, in the series:

\( ... + x^{n-j} - x^{n-j-2} + ... \,\,\) where j = 2n - 2k - 2.
    These have a (k+1)th and (k-1)th pair (of summands) either side, where I treat k as decreasing left to right, each pair differs by ±2 because of the 2k in the exponent.

\( ... + x^{n-j+2} - x^{n-j-2+2} + x^{n-j} - x^{n-j-2} + x^{n-j-2} + x^{n-j-2-2} + ... \)

The middle four terms cancel, leaving the "first" and "last" terms. Rewrite the original sum in terms of j:

\( \sum_{j=0}^{2n-2}\, x^{n-j} - x^{n-j-2} \).​

So j now defines the first and last terms in the series, everything in between vanishes, and we're pretty much there. With the equality . . .
    And that's not really showing how to find a closed form, I've only written one out.

19. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Ed: this should go here: we have j = 2n - 2k - 2; j = 0 when k = n - 1, k = 0 when j = 2n - 2.
    And: 0 ≤ j ≤ 2(n-1), 0 ≤ k ≤ n-1.

\( \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} x^{(2k+1-n)} = \sum_{j=0}^{2n-2} x^{(n-j-1)} \)
    So I can rewrite rpenner's product of two sums:

\(\Bigl( \frac {x^n - x^{-n}}{x - x^{-1}}\Bigr)^2 = \sum_{j=0}^{2n-2} x^{(n-j-1)} \sum_{k=0}^{2n-2} x^{-(n-k-1)} \)​

I'm not sure though, why the second sum has negative exponent(s). Wait, yes I am. It's because you need the complex conjugate.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  20. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I wanted to know a bit more about why you increase the exponent by 2k (resp. decrease by j an even positive number). Since n can be odd or even; is it connected to the Taylor expansion (McLaurin series) after all?

The expansion of sin(t) is: \( \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)!} t^{(2k+1)} = t - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!} - \frac{x^7}{7!}\, +\, ... \).

So \( sin(nt) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)!} (nt)^{(2k+1)} \).

But we also have Euler's identity:

\( 2i\,sin(t) = e^{it} - e^{-it} \)​

Which we have as: \( 2i\,sin(t/2) = x - x^{-1} |_{x=e^{it/2}} \), and \( 2i\,sin(nt/2) = x^n - x^{-n} \).

But n is a finite number, so we expand from k = 0 to n-1 in the McLaurin series, and we have a function sin(nt/2)/sin(t/2) which we want to express as the ratio of two (finite) sums.

Let's try setting n to 3, so we have: \( x^3 - x^{-3} = (x - x^{-1})(some\, series\, \Sigma). \)

Assume the first term in \( \Sigma\) is \( x^2 (= x ^{n-1}) \), and assume the last term in \( \Sigma \) is \( x^{-2} \), so the remaining terms have to cancel:

\( (x - x^{-1})(x^2 + ? + ... + ? + x^{-2}) = x^3 - x^{-3} \).​

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  21. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Since n is 3, there has to be three summands in \( \Sigma \). For \( \Sigma \) to be symmetric, the only possibility is the middle term is: \( x^0 (=x^{n-3}) \).

If n is odd, the first and last terms of \( \Sigma \) will have even exponents and the middle term will be = 1. If n is even, the first and last terms of \( \Sigma \) will have odd exponents and the middle two terms will be \( x + x^{-1} \).

Since we have: \( x^3 - x^{-3} = (x - x^{-1})(x^2 + x^0 + x^{-2}) \), then whether n is odd or even, exponents differ by a factor of ±2, in the ordered series.

I should have said, above, that each value of n has a McLaurin series expansion. And I should have said that \( \Sigma =\Sigma(n,x) \) having n terms hasn't been rigorously shown.
    If you assume that there are more than n terms, and that all terms cancel under multiplication: \( (x - x^{-1})\Sigma \), except for two terms, then you can easily show the first assumption leads to a contradiction.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  22. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

So I think, what I've done there is use an argument about multiplication of exponents to see what \( \Sigma(n,x) \) is like, and so derive a closed form for a function like (sin nt)/(sin t).

I can write something along the lines of:

\( (x^n - x^{-n})/(x - x^{-1}) = x^{(n-1)} + x^{(n-1)-2} + x^{(n-1)-4}+ ... + x^{-(n-1)} \).
    So I define j = 0,2,4, ... 2(n-1). Then I have the sum over n terms like: \( x^{(n-1)-j} \)

23. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

And with this latest bit of fiddling around, I see my earlier statement about "needing" the complex conjugate, which is how you square a complex number, doesn't apply since the exponents in any \( \Sigma \) are symmetric about zero for even n, and about \( x^0 \) for odd n.

If you multiply all the exponents in some \( \Sigma \) by -1, you have the same series.
    For example, \( (x^2 + x^0 + x^{-2}) \) will be unchanged after multiplication of the exponents by -1.

In which light
    \(\Bigl( \frac {x^n - x^{-n}}{x - x^{-1}}\Bigr)^2 = \sum_{j=0}^{2n-2} x^{(n-1-j)} \sum_{k=0}^{2n-2} x^{-(n-1-k)} = \sum_{j=0}^{2n-2}\sum_{k=0}^{2n-2} x^{(k-j)} \)
    The "heavy lifting" and so some kind of answer to the question will involve inspecting the table of j rows and k columns in the actual multiplication, but immediately we see there are n \( x^0 \)'s on the diagonal. We now want to replace j and k with a single variable so the sum is unchanged.

It appears that Taylor expansions aren't the reason the exponents in a closed form series are all odd or all even and different by a factor of ±2, it's Euler's trig identities (as polynomials with both positive and negative exponents).