Help me evaluate idea Jupiter/Saturn conjunctions are driving much of global warming.

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Billy T, Sep 14, 2014.

1. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure what your thesis is but I've been thinking about a similar concept with the Sun/Jupiter/Saturn alignment when the earth is in a specific arc of its yearly orbit. Given those conditins, the rotation of the earth aligned properly with the other bodies could cause a slight slosh of the Pacific or parts of it (think minor tidal changes), creating the Pacific Decadal Oscillation and the longer term swing in its intensity.

Just a thought.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, something interesting to think about, thanks. (Posting only so I have a flag to follow.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I remember vividly, a planetary alignment in the mid eighties?? when all the planets [including our demoted friend Pluto] were on the same side of the Sun, and there were cries of anguish from our conspiracy friends and the like, that it maybe the end of the world.
    I recall Saturn, Jupiter and Mars being in a relatively tight grouping, with the others fairly well space out in the sky.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

One of my favorites as well. I remember finally getting a handle on how small we really are when I saw the grand dance laid before me. Awesome doesn't even begin to touch that.

8. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

To OP, to figure out your hypothesis you would need to solve a 3-body astrodynamics problem involving Jupiter and Saturn affect on Earth. Honestly it has nothing to do with global warming.

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Tidal bulges on the sun caused by planetary gravitational forces should only effect the surface of the sun?

How much does the sun move about the center of the solar system?

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Been meaning to poke my head into this thread to raise this same point myself.

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Correct twice. I.e. finding their motions is a "three body problem" best solved via small time steps - The largest appendix in my book "dark visitor" has a program for dong that. In my case the "visitor" was a mass, of 2.2 solar masses that did not reflect light so only way the astronomer of book knew about its approach was via small perturbation's of the orbit of Pluto. The dark visitor missed earth by 11 AU and its impulse gave earth slightly more elliptical orbit (e goes to 0.0836 from current 0.0171) and slightly longer year (378 days). I did not try to calculate how solar system's "galactic year" was changed by this "near stellar collision" but assumed solar system is not "un bound" into deep space.

Closer to sun in N. hemisphere's winter and farther way in their summer - sounds nice, until you realize the S. Hemisphere is also closer to the sun when the N.H. is. That make much more evaporation of ocean water that falls out as heavy snow, most every day in N. H. - Heavy snows ONLY come in mild winter weather, but that is after DV passes, all winter long - Cooler summers for N. H. mean not all that great accumulation of snow and ice melts so N. H. albedo is increasing - making problem worse every year. In a little more than a decade the growing ice sheet is into N. Florida, but before that, all the world's ports are "high and dry." - A possible "cosmic disaster" that could be coming now. Even "gravational lensing" would not give indication of the DV's approach. It is too small to do much of that, but more importantly, is too close to solar system for that effect to be seen, but I will not explain why that is a problem, unless asked.

Since I live in 1000 foot altitude Sao Paulo, I timed the DV's closest approach so that here in S.H. we only have all the coastal cities, like Rio, washed into the sea by the torrential rains that come every summer eve. We have no permanent ice age and can still grow rice, etc.

Second reason you are correct is that on decades time scale earth's orbit is a constant so is not reason for the GW changes measured in last decade - man is.

In answer to Sculptor's question, I think the barycenter of the solar system can never be exactly at the center of the sum (Jupitor dominates other planet masses too much, I think). Also it is also never outside the sun (almost sure). Thus as the barycenter orbits thru the galaxy, the sun wobbles around the solar system's barycenter by less than the solar radius.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014