Help Me! Maggots.

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by lixluke, Jun 19, 2006.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I awoke this bright and beatiful morning ready to jump in the shower so I would not be late.

Low and behold, I walked into the bathroom, and found maggots all over the floor.

I cannot figure out how to get rid of them or exactly where they come from. I know they are larva of flies.

I hypothesized that some flies laid eggs in the trash can in my kitchen. Then they all crawled into my bathroom for party. I have a small 1-bedroom apartment. It's claen, but I hadn't taken out the trash in awhile. There was fruit in it, and meat.

I saw one place stating that I had to boil water and pour it all over them, so I'm boiling now. It will cause a bit of a mess though. How do I kill them? My Raid spray is not working on them. They seem immune to Raid. They are evil.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I found them sparsely in the kitchen and living room floor on the way to the bathroom. It's all tile floor so no carpet except for my bedroom. I found just in front of the door in my bedroom.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The boiling water trick didn,t work. They are still moving. Hopefully they will die eventully. The hard part is searching the apartment for stragglers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Raid works, you have to be patient. It might take them an hour or two to die. But how old is your Raid? If you don't get bugs very often you may have an old can that's lost its potency.

If you're convinced that your bugs are worse than average, then go to a nursery and buy some Malathion and then go to a place like Target or K-Mart and get a small good-quality trigger spary bottle. Mix the Malathion with water according to the directions and spray them with that. Malathion is very effective, and it has the advantage of being harmless to warm-blooded animals like humans and their pets, for all practical purposes. Your dog could lick the floor after you spray it and not be harmed. We put Malathion down the throats of our canaries to kill air sac mites. In some countries they shampoo kids' hair with Malathion to kill lice.

The larvae of many insects look pretty similar to the human eye, these might not be fly babies. They could be termites or something else. Most insects lay their eggs in a food source so when they hatch the babies don't have to go out looking for food. You usually find maggots in the place where the eggs were laid, which in your case would be in the trash. These might be another kind of insect that feeds on something else.

Many insect larva have extremely short maturation cycles, so if you spend too much time trying to figure this out, biology will take over. You'll soon have the adult insects which will be much easier to identify, although perhaps more difficult to exterminate.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Don't mess around with boiling water. A top-quality insecticide will kill just about anything. If a fresh can of Raid or a heavy-duty mixture of Malathion doesn't kill these guys, then call the X-Files. You've got aliens.

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

How cool it would be if they were aliens. I did some research, and narrowed them down to flies. There were a bunch of them in my kitchen harassing my garbage can because of the fruits I had thrown away in it. Flies are easy for me a I just open the door to make them fly away. Except for when they decide to stay and have a party in my kitchen tash bin.

If they came from the garbage where all the food was, they should have stayed in the garbage. The kitchen garbage had been sitting there for the past week. After seeing maggots all over my bathroom floor this morning, the fiirst place I checked was my kitchen garbage bin. It had maggots in it, so I dumped it directly into the dumpster. (Usually I take out the plastic trash bag, and throw the plastic bag in the dumpster, but this was too gross.)

I have no clue whatsoever what the maggots are doing in the bathroom. Why would they leave the kitchen trash can full of food for them, walk all the way across my living room, and crawl around my bathroom? I keep my bathroom fairly clean.

How can I find out if any are hiding anywhere in my apartment? Is there a way to lure them all out into the center of the livingroom, and feed Malathion?

Maggots should not last too long in my apartment. Soon enough whatever remaining maggots here will turn into flies, and fly out the door. Thank Jesus I have no roaches. Like my friend's place. Crawling with roaches. Everyday, he has another Matrix roach story.

I'm soooo late.

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

At least they are maggots, and not something scary like spiders!

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I got roaches... and those bastards just won't leave, despite my attempts to kill them

11. Roman Banned Banned

Hammer.

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I never kill spiders for some reason. If I see a spider, I might sccop it up, and put it outside.
    I think it is because they only come around one at a time instead of in groups like roaches. And they are light.
    Maybe because I've been having recurring dreams of being spiderman for as long as I can remember.http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=16057

13. esoterik appeal h. pylori Registered Senior Member

spider kill worse creatures like moths, mosquitos, and flies. outside of being in my bed, or in my clothes spiders have mostly free range in my house. the bigger ones get to do their thing outdoors though.

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

There is only one cure for the dreaded maggot infestation.
    You must resort to nature.
    Eat them.
    Every last one.
    Swallow them down.
    Yum.

15. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

16. geodesic "The truth shall make ye fret" Registered Senior Member

They'll be easier to swallow cooked.
    However, I have my doubts as to efficacy - It doesn't work too well on flies (maybe I needed a higher alcohol content?)

17. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Collect them on a paper and quickly squish them.
    Then burn that mess.

18. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I know: introduce cane toads to eat the maggots!

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Cane Toads?

20. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Holy weird.
    Gross that thing is somebody's purse.

anyway, something strange occured.
    I found a single maggot on my desk in my bedroom today.

I noticed yesterday that 2 of them had crawled into my bedroom.
    I swept them out with the rest of the maggots.
    Today, all of the maggots and maggot carcasses were piled in the center of the batroom floor. I searched everywhere to see if there were any more anywhere esle crawling around. I found none.
    Then out of nowhere, I see one crawling on my desk way up above the ground. I hae no clue how it got up here as the legs of my desk are somewhat situated slightly inward. I cannot understand at all what it was doing there.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The biggest problem with flies is that since their preferred food is stuff that's well decayed, they tend to carry a lot of bacteria around and leave it everywhere they land. Other than that they're not exactly scary. You need to figure out what attracted them to lay eggs in your place. Have you got something rotting that you don't know about? A dead mouse or something like that?

As for spiders: If you've got 'em, you probably need 'em. They eat all the creepy, annoying, disease-infested insects that like to crawl around on your food. Humans have an entirely irrational attitude toward spiders that I find a little difficult to understand. Roaches, mosquitoes, moths, centipedes, lice, mites, and a hundred other kinds of arthropods are far worse to have around, and for every species there's probably a spider somewhere than likes to eat them.

Spiders are your friends.

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I agree. Although webs are sort of annoying, I have never really had any probmlems with spiders.

My conclusion is that the maggots came from my kitchen trash can that had been sitting for a week. I have no idea why so many maggots left the trash can, and crawled into the bathroom. Probably because I sprayed air-freshener in the trash can the previous day?
    They were all over the bathroom floor when I woke up yesterday.