Help with English

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Saint, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

...well, you can come down south but i dont know how long you'll last.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

What do such homophones have to do with the explanation of "pyrotechnic"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The word "quirk" first appears in the middle of the 16th century. However, its origin is (so far) unknown.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The first rendition of this Greek word, techne, did indeed carry the meaning of "art and/or craft."

8. geordief Valued Senior Member

Off topic but it seems Athena was the Goddess of craft and Minerva the Roman Goddess .

I wonder what crafts were the principle ones in their domain. Were there any liturgies written , I wonder what might have been listed in them.

Blacksmithing comes to mind but that would have been Hephaestus/Vulcan and would apparently have incorporated plenty of other crafts.

Perhaps these Gods double jobbed.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It was craft as in "arts and crafts": pottery, weaving etc. (all that hippy sh*t

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

10. Saint Valued Senior Member

Means what?

11. geordief Valued Senior Member

A sequence or chain of events was about to repeat itself (in broad terms).

12. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Hmm. That's not what I would take it to mean, although context is everything,

When one uses the metaphor of a pendulum swinging it is usually in the context to the ebb and flow of momentum in a contest.
    For example, when watching a team sport one team may be on top to begin with, then the other, and the momentum swings one way then the next - like a pendulum on a clock. So when one says "the pendulum was to swing again" in this context it would mean that the momentum was to shift to the other side again.

13. geordief Valued Senior Member

Yes ,you are more correct than me. Well I was quite badly wrong

(hybris is everything

)

Sorry and thanks.

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

The essence of the pendulum metaphor is that back-and-forth is inevitable. If it swings one way, you expect it to swing the other way eventually (though metaphoric pendulums are not as reliable as physical ones). The political pendulum swings from left to right to left to right. An approximate equivalent would be ebb and flow.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's commonly used when discussing politics and economics, at least here in the USA.

16. Saint Valued Senior Member

stomach-lurching drops = ?

17. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Imagine a roller-coaster: when you go down a sudden drop your stomach feels as though it gets left behind at the top, gradually catching up with the rest of you. This is what I'd describe as a stomach-lurching feeling.

Applied to Deutsche Bank, it basically means their share/stock-price took a nose-dive such that it took a while for investors to recover and reach stability again.

18. geordief Valued Senior Member

"To lurch" is an intransitive verb and so literally it should be the stomach that is moving .

The way it is used would give me the impression that something is "lurching the stomach" .

So perhaps it is a bit incorrect but has seemingly become a set expression.

19. Saint Valued Senior Member

rigged = damaged, destroyed ?

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"Rig" has several meanings.
    • 1. To put something in proper order and condition so that it can be used. It's most commonly used this way in nautical language, for rigging the sails on a ship.
    • 2. It is also used more generally with a similar meaning, such as: rigging a device in order to solve a problem or to facilitate a process.
    • 3. Finally, it is used in a considerably different way: rigging an election by replacing the real ballots with counterfeit ballots.
    The third definition is the one that is most often encountered, but it is important to understand that it is not the only correct meaning.

21. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

From the "Pit and the Pendulum". Gonna take some time...it's cryptic.

22. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

NVM

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  23. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

You are doing well though.