Help with English

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Saint, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

I am confused, organize or organise?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Either.
    Oxford spelling is not the standard spelling in England, and is mostly used these days in scientific circles and academia.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saint Valued Senior Member

Why not we stick to one standard?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

English is a widely used language and has many influences pulling it in separate directions. Spelling variations arise, each of which can gain popularity in different geographies. There are those who want to stick to the more classical variants, and others who prefer to ignore etymology and go with what is simpler to understand, and others might opt for the more phonetic approach.

And it's "Why do we not stick to one standard?"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. geordief Valued Senior Member

9. Saint Valued Senior Member

But in verbal English I can say Why not we stick to one standard?,
    people will understand me.

10. Saint Valued Senior Member

Republican knives out for their party's health bill

knives out = means what?

11. Saint Valued Senior Member

A manhunt is under way in Germany after a man allegedly stabbed a nine-year-old neighbour to death and uploaded a video boasting of his deed to the dark web.

dark web = criminal web? Opposite is bright web?

12. Saint Valued Senior Member

13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Yes, people will understand you (which is evident in that we answered your query

), but it is not correct English grammar, and it is not how native English speakers would say it.
    To have your "knives out" means that you are ready to attack it, criticise it, cut it to pieces, destroy it, be unpleasant about it etc.
    The dark web is a section of the World Wide Web that requires special software to access, where anonymity is paramount, where things can be discussed, bought and sold, mostly without fear of being snooped on by governments and law enforcement. It is therefore rife with illegal activity, and popular with criminals, terrorists and the like.
    Presumably the "dark" is because it is effectively hidden from view.
    i used to think this came from "this for that" (as in: you give me this, I give you that) but is actually from "tip for tap" meaning an exchange of blows. In your example, not sending a card was the retaliatory action for forgetting her birthday.
    It is basically a case of you hit someone, they hit you back; you get hit, you hit back, with the implication that the exchanges are of roughly equal magnitude.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

"Organize" is probably more common in the United States, whereas I'd venture that "organise" wins out in Great Britain and Australia (and I don't know about other places).

In Australia, though, "organize" fights it out with "organise" - people use one or the other and most of them probably don't think much about it. My impression is that scholarly publications tend to go more for "organise" in Australia.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Since you don't live in the U.K., Australia, India or any other country where British English is spoken, rather than American English, I would strongly advise you to adopt American English. This includes our spelling ("criticize," not "criticise"), our vocabulary ("go to the bathroom," not "the loo"), and our grammar.

Most of the material written in English is written in American English. Most of the movies, TV shows, books and other material is produced in American English. And of course most English-language music is sung in American English.

If you learn to speak, write and read in American English, you'll be able to communicate with hundreds of millions of people. And don't worry, ever since the advent of television, around 1950, the British people have learned to understand American English too.

We Americans didn't learn to understand British English until the Beatles and the Rolling Stones started singing, around 1960. James Bond helped a lot too.

Dr_Toad likes this.
  16. geordief Valued Senior Member

This is linguistic sedition

Proceed no further

17. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Fraggle, I always thought you were British! Shock and awe indeed. Have a Harp on me!

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

• My mother's parents were Czech--or "Bohemian" as they were called in those days.
    • My father's paternal grandparents abandoned Germany and their Jewish heritage, hopped on a ship and landed on Ellis Island. They began to speak English only and joined a Christian church.
    • His mother actually was of British ancestry, so I've got a bit of it.

19. Saint Valued Senior Member

en masse means in big quantity?
    French word?

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

What is important is that you must say sorry to him regardless of whether he will accept your apology.

Is this sentence correct?
    Double "is".

21. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Yes.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No. It means that a large amount of something (even people) is moving (or being moved), all together, in one direction, in order to permit something necessary or important to happen.

"All the employees who work on the second floor will have to move en masse to the lobby, because the electricity has failed on the second floor."
    Yes, although English "mass" is identical to French masse.

As I've explained before, the French ruled England for several centuries, making French the official language of government, commerce, culture and education, while the common folk continued to speak Saxon (or "Anglo-Saxon" as it's usually named--the Angles and the Saxons were two of the largest tribes who crossed the English Channel to take over the land of the original Celtic Britons). Eventually Anglo-Saxon came back as the national language, but it had absorbed so many French words that we began to call it "English" instead of "Saxon."

23. Saint Valued Senior Member

From now onwards/onward/ on ward.
    Which is correct?

I have more burdens after marriage and it makes me pissed off.

Burden can be plural?