Help with my current diet

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Thor, Feb 18, 2003.

1. fingerlickingod Registered Member

My diet for the past few weeks has been coffee and waffles, and if I do say so myself, I am looking better every day. I highly reccomend it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Heh, I drink orange juice like it has cocaine in it. I dont eat breakfast, I dont eat lunch. And when I come home, im either having pasta and meatballs, or cheese and crackers. Or a huge bowl of corn flakes or Special K red berries (YUMMMMMMMMY! I love strawberries and they love me!!)....

Later
    T

(Ive found that I daily multivitimin coupled with a vitimin A pill and Vitimin E pill significantly improved my nails (I bit em like crazy leading to shitty nails)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rushguy1 Registered Member

All you need.

Avoid refined sugar and white flour. You must have vegetables and fruit. Everything else is up to you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's hard to stay abreast with this hour's diet recommendations.

Tristan, don't take this kind of stuff too seriously. These eccentric dietary theories toggle back and forth about every twenty years. Don't eat fat. Don't eat starch. Don't eat sugar. Don't eat refined foods. Now they're telling us we should have one serving of ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE every day! Eggs are okey dokey again.

Is nutritional "science" starting to sound like the same kind of "science" that can't decide whether the globe is getting warmer or cooler?

Our need for a certain level of vitamins and minerals has been established and uncontroversial for decades. All the rest of this nutritional advice waxes and wanes like economic theories. There's nothing wrong with refined sugar and refined flour except for the fact that they provide mostly pure calories and no other kind of nutrition. If you're not gaining weight then don't worry about it. Any dentist who reads will tell you that sugar isn't even bad for your teeth and any pediatrician who reads will tell you that it doesn't make children hyperactive.

There's way too much real stuff in this world to worry about without getting caught up in the diet fad du jour.

8. rushguy1 Registered Member

Fraggle is correct

Refined sugar and flour provides no nutritional value. Only empty calories. Thank you for making my point.

9. n2witchn Registered Member

I think I have seen fancier versions of that "imported" Haribo stuff. The gourmet stores charge quite a bit for it, considering you can get the same basic ingredients in a bag of "circus peanuts" for less than 50 cents, as NightFall mentioned... Funny how they can cram SO much flavor into what is basically a piece of air-filled foam rubber. :bugeye:

10. n2witchn Registered Member

Breakfast and lunch are important!

Everyone here should know that... what do you think your bodies are getting fuel from as you go from morning until night? Breakfast is GOOD! Lunch is GOOD! Snacks are even better!

Did anybody read the American Heart Association's study that proved they have been wrong the whole time they have been discouraging people from eating red meat? They had 2 groups of dieters, one group eating strictly by the AHA's food pyramid guidelines, the other eating by the Atkin's diet (low carb, high protien - lots of red meat). The Atkin's group lost significantly more weight than the AHA group, and ended up healthier (lower "bad" cholesterol, higher "good" cholesterol)!

I didn't believe it either, but MSN doesn't lie, right???
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/836726.asp#BODY

11. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

I wish everyone might read this article which appeared in the January 2003 issue of Scientific American Magazine.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0007C5B6-7152-1DF6-9733809EC588EEDF&pageNumber=1&catID=2

It was written by Willett and Stampfer; two Harvard professors of epidemiology and nutrition. My nephew is in medical school down in Boston. He has heard Willett lecture on diet and was quite impressed. BTW, this same nephew is successful body builder (ex - Mr. New Hampshire), and as such, is very interested in diet.

N2witchn, please note that in both the old and the new "food pyramid" red meat resides at the narrow wedge near the top. The AHA was not wrong in discouraging red meat consumption. From the above article:

"High consumption of red meat has been associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease, probably because of its high content of saturated fat and cholesterol. Red meat also raises the risk of type 2 diabetes and colon cancer. The elevated risk of colon cancer may be related in part to the carcinogens produced during cooking and the chemicals found in processed meats such as salami and bologna."

Please don't base your diet on the results of one study. Doubtless, a single study can be constructed in which a steady diet of "Pop Tarts" might be shown to be healthy. Dietary science is still in its infancy. I've no doubt that recommendations will continue to be refined, but I very much doubt that science will discover in the future that hot dogs, cigarettes, and cheesecake are integral components of good health.

The most important item on the revised "food pyramid" is exercise and weight control, followed by whole grains, fruits and veggies, and then nuts and legumes. That's as high as I eat on this pyramid (aside from an occasional pastry).

My breakfast, for example, is usually cooked oatmeal. My job is to jump out of bed and bring 2.5 cups of oats and 5 cups of water to boil (usually adding fresh apple slices and dried apricots). I cover the pan and place it in the bottom simmering oven of the AGA. I set the timer for 30 minutes and run back up to snuggle with my wife. When the timer rings we spoon the oats into our bowls, adding wheat germ, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, a sliced banana, and a bit of maple syrup. Yum!

Most pre-packaged breakfast cereals are so highly processed that your body digests them almost immediately. They're the equivalent of burning sawdust in a wood stove; while eating whole grains is the equivalent of burning small logs in the stove. Refined grains are turned into a surge of glucose; your blood sugar level skyrockets...and crashes just as quickly. Whole grains, on the other hand, are slow release foods. They slowly release their fuel and nutrients. Back when I ate commercial breakfast cereals I'd be hungry by 10AM. My oats stay with me until lunchtime.

My wife bakes all our bread from the flour that I grind by hand. I love my Danish-made Diamant! (It's listed about half-way down the page at: http://grain-mills.com/) I mix winter red wheat berries, rye berries and some flax seed (flax is high in beneficial omega-3 fat) in the hopper. The wonderful thing about grinding your own flour is that you have control of the coarseness of the grind. Secondly, grain stores very well while the berry is intact, but grain begins to decompose and oxidize quite quickly after it's been milled into flour. Third, a loaf of fresh bread made from flour that has been milled the same morning simply tastes wonderful!

I found out about the taste connection some years ago while visiting a historical village in Germany. There was a water-powered grist mill was in operation. Adjoining the mill was a bakery. They had just taken these incredibly heavy loaves of bread out of the stone oven. After a few bites I suddenly realized that this was the first real bread I'd ever eaten. All the stuff I grew up eating was actually marshmallow in the shape of a bread loaf. The Germans never gave up their Vollkornbrot for the likes of "Wonder Bread." Now, my bread has to be made from coarse, freshly ground multigrains. It has to contain various whole grains and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, flax, etc.).

Gardening is my primary summer activity. It's currently late February and the bottom floor of my root cellar is still filled with carrots, potatoes, apples and squash from our garden. We're just finishing the last of our onions, but we still have about 25 quarts of canned tomatoes remaining on the pantry shelf. My favorite dinner on a winter evening here in Vermont is a large bowl of vegetable soup made from our garden produce and a third-loaf of my wife's Vollkornbrot.

So Thor, it's good to hear that you're examining your diet. I'm not saying others should adopt my diet; only that everyone should be attentive to the evidence of modern medical science. The human body is a bio-chemical machine. It matters a great deal what you put into your machine.

Michael

Last edited: Feb 21, 2003
  12. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

I'm quite happy with my diet and I don't feel unhealthy, I actually feel pretty good about myself.

Can anyone offer any advise?

Thor the best advise I can give you is:
    EAT AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE WITHOUT SWALLOWING!

13. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Hi IXL777,

"We dig our graves with our teeth."

Michael

14. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

PLEASE EXPLAIN!

15. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

You are what you eat....i feel like a herd of cows!

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

a glass of ANY achool a day is good for you (lowers risk of canser?, think thats right)

glass of red lowers risk of heart deasiese

there is nothing WRONG with white flour, just whole grane has more fiber in it

sugar isnt as bad for you as fats are as long as you burn it off (ie if your playing sport more sugars like futose are what you need)

complex carbohidrates are better for you in the long term than simple sugars cause the energy they give you lasts longer

there is nothing wrong with gluton unless your gluton intolerant (which is one of the things all chefs must be able to tell you is in your food)

what else

moderation on everything people and one HUGE urben myth is that vegatarians are healter, there not, we NEED some of the protens that can ONLY come from meat (there are diferent protiens rember)

17. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

IXL777,

Please read my post above; if nothing else, at least read the article I gave a link for in Scientific American Magazine.

While riding on a train in Europe a few years ago I sat next to a German physician. After chatting for a while she worked up the nerve to ask me a question that had been bothering her, "Why are Americans so fat?" I explained that America is on the crest of the wave of an epidemic that will eventually sweep the other (over) developed countries. Sure enough, some months ago I saw a story on the BBC about the rising number of obese Brits. Germany is not far behind.

IXL777, have you been reading about the epidemic of obese American children? Physicians are reporting a surge in type 2 diabetes and arteriosclorosis in children; diseases formally thought of as primarily affecting older persons.

Food servings come in ever higher proportions while the general population does less physical work than ever before. We've created a perfect incubator for obesity. I read somewhere that for the first time in history, as many people on this planet are dying from eating too much as from eating too little.

One problem is that as everyone gets fatter, fat people begin to look normal. Most men my age (45 and counting) joke about their spare tire around their waist. I don't think it's something to joke about. I can't help but feel a mixture of pity and disgust when I see an obese person. I pity them their short and uncomfortable lives. I feel especially apprehensive for this new generation of massively obese children. Fat acceptance in our society is as innane as is cancer or AIDS acceptance. Disease is something we ought to rally against rather than simply make fashionable. There's nothing fashionable about dying either of leprosy or obesity.

So, IXL777, I hope this helps to explain why I said that, "We dig our graves with our teeth."

Michael

18. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Hi Asgard,

I disagree with your assertion that humans require a protein (an amino acid) that is only found in meat. Perhaps you're thinking about vitamen B12? Vegetarians do have to be careful about getting sufficient B12 from non-amimal sources. I get mine from nutritional yeast.

Asgard, I feel like a evangelist telling everyone to read the article in Scientific American, but it explains why we ought to reduce our consumption of refined white flour and other simple carbohydrates. There's more to it than just injesting Metamucil along with your doughnut and coffee.

Michael

19. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Thankyou Michael for your eloquent reply..I thought that was the area you were talking about..it might be an idea to start a new thread...
    So, IXL777, I hope this helps to explain why I said that, "We dig our graves with our teeth." very succinctly put

20. n2witchn Registered Member

just a side note

"N2witchn, please note that in both the old and the new "food pyramid" red meat resides at the narrow wedge near the top. The AHA was not wrong in discouraging red meat consumption...
    Please don't base your diet on the results of one study."

Just wanted to note that I haven't changed my diet whatsoever because of this study. I am still, and will always be, a vegetarian.

21. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Good to hear it n2witchn!

Vive la Revolution,
    Michael

22. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Re: just a side note

What you eat is what you are a cabbage!!

23. n2witchn Registered Member

Re: Re: just a side note

Then I would be more of a carrot than a cabbage. I don't eat stinky veggies!

Yes, I am a PICKY vegetarian...