Heroes

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by lixluke, Sep 27, 2006.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

You are basically condoning the suspension of disbelief.

Is it true that Hana is really dead, and she mreged in with the internet like Lain?

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Lix: quite true, but some things would be too complex to get around with a TV show budget. We have to make allowances.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fLuX Registered Senior Member

A curiousity, if anyone has a moment.

- From observing Ted we see that he is not harmed by his own ability, thus I believe it is logical to conclude that he could "go nuclear" and survive.

- Peter in the future claims that he was the one who went nuclear, yet he has a scar, so he must not have come into contact with Claire as he did in our own time line. If he is the one who caused New York's destruction, then he must survive it somehow.

- Sylar has killed Claire in the future time line, until Hiro travels back into the past to warn Peter to save her.

- We have seen Ted's ability in effect on Claire's body(when she enters the house to save Ted her skin begins melting at an alarming rate, so I imagine she would be vaporized as fast as any normal person in a nuclear exposion), and have seen that Claire can not heal unless bones are set back into place, or objects are dislodged from her skull.

So my question is this. If Sylar or Peter were to emit a blast comparable to a nuclear exposion, what would save them? Claire's ability, or Ted's ability? This was a topic of debate between a friend and I. I claimed Ted's, and his claim was Claire's.

Opinions?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Neither. Sylar can absorb the powers of people he meets just once. He doesn't actually HAVE to kill. Since he encountered Hiro, he started the blast, froze time, and got out of the blast radius. And remember, Hiro was named after Hiroshima, the first atomic attack. I think the writers would make some kind of irony ( Hiro's power allowing someone to survive an atomic blast when he was named after an atomic attack that killed thousands).

The questions I'm more concerned with are these: How the hell did Hiro go back to Fuedal Japan and why the hell don't we see those cool-ass dinos?!

8. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Incorrect. Sylar has to kill the people to obtain the powers. Peter can absorb at a distance. Peter would be able to use the strategy you describe here. Sylar would survive because of Ted's ability to withstand his own radiation.

Point of PC...the nuclear strike wasn't named Hiroshima, that was the city name. And "Hiro" is a perfectly common Japanese name

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  9. fLuX Registered Senior Member

An interesting theory, although I'm not yet convinced that Peter survived due to his own time manipulation. And this still ignores the fact that Ted is not harmed by the use of his own power. It doesn't take a Nuclear blast to damage human flesh, remember how quickly Claire's skin was melted off as Ted was releasing such power, yet his own body? Unharmed.

In the past, other fictional heroes or humans with super powers get past certain rules simply because it is fiction, I believe that this is the easiest way to explain why Ted, Sylar, or Peter would not be harmed by their own abilities. You watch an anime story, or an american comic story, many explosions or blasts do not harm their creators.

Peter is the one who absorbs abilities, Sylar is the bad guy, the one who must kill to obtain them. However, Sylar's ability itself is "understanding" things, which is why I'm assuming he has such perfect control over his own multiple powers. Peter on the other hand, has less control but gains his power by ease; simply standing near them.

I also do not ever recall a mention of Hiro being named after the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima.

10. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

He says in one of the later episodes that he was named after the attack on Hiroshima. Though I was talking about Hiroshima the event when I was talking about his name.

And I do think that Sylar does not have to kill. When he kills the person with Supersensistive Hearing, he says that there weren't any footsteps. Now peter's brother( forget his name at the moment) is the only one I know of who can fly. If Sylar did indded come in close contact with him at some time( Which is suggested by his imitation of him in the future), then I think that would be proof that he doesn't actually HAVE to kill. Unless of course he picked a box with his mind, got on top of it, and Mind-Surfed over to her. I think flight is more logical a conclusion.

*Waits for Godwin's Law to kick in*

11. fLuX Registered Senior Member

http://heroeswiki.com/Sylar

This explains Sylar's ability, its known as intuitive aptitude.

- "Both are able to absorb people’s powers, but in two very different ways. Peter’s is based on his empathy and his ability to connect with people and when he’s around them. Sylar actually has to take your brain and do something with it."

This was quoted from Tim Kring, the creator of Heroes, which can be found here(This link also explains Peter's ability, empathic mimicry)

http://heroeswiki.com/Empathic_mimicry

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  12. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Oh! I missed that one...good catch then

When Sylar killed the lady with the super hearing, she heard his heartbeat.

I also think the future Sylar killed the holographic girl (the one who could project any outward appearance over herself, then killed Peter's brother in order to replace him. Not that it matters now, Sylar had his ass handed to him anyway

13. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Quite so. Sylar probably has the ability to "intuit" - for lack of a better word - the brain synapse connections that activate the various powers and induce the same connections in himself. In order to do this tho, he has to actually see the brain.

14. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Or perhaps a picture of the brain? If he looked at an MRI image of the guy's brain, perhaps he could pick up the power. I know that they do show medical images of senators and presidents to the public( The whole world getting to see the inside of Bush's ass). Perhaps something similar. We know that Mr.Patrelli wasn't dead until sometime after the explosion, which would mean that Sylar had some contact with him prior to the murder of the fat ass lady.

Pip Pip da Doodly Doo

15. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Oh you mean how Sylar can levitate? He absorbed telekenesis, he can plausibly focus that power on his own body.

BTW: I love the new sign off

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

REDEMPTION

So this evil Dirt Man is talking about his previous family that he and his brother had problems with.
    I guess when they were servants of some rich people.
    So they created a carni family of superhumans.

Dirt Man is in charge of the carnival.
    He uses his power to put ink into Tatoo Girl. She uses her clairvoyant power to find out who has the compass.
    Then she tells him who it is, and uses the ink in her skin to draw a picture of him. It's crazy Danko.

So Dirt Man sends Speed Knife to go find Danko to get the compass. Speed Kife kills Danko, but doesn't get anything.
    He then battles Tracy the ice girl and speeds away.

Bennet finds a key in dead Danko's stomach.
    For some unknown reason, Bennet was able to research what the key is for?
    So he takes Peter with him to the safety deposit box.
    And somehow, Bennet tells them that he's Danko so he can get the box? WTF?
    There they find some strange artifact compass that activates only when Peter holds it.

Suddenly Speed Knife appears. Probably found them because of the clairvoyant Tatoo Girl?
    So Peter takes on Speed Knife's power.
    Then somehow, Peter is able to battle Speed Knife who has far more experience using his power and knives?
    Speed Knife runs away.

Hiro was at the evil carnival 14 years ago as a child.
    Suddenly, present day Hiro, who is having issues with his powers again, randomly teleports back to the cranival 14 years ago.

So Tatoo Girl uses her power to find somebody that can help them "fix the past"?
    She tells them that it's somebody named Hiro.
    And she draws a tatoo of him on herself. She tells them that he was at their carnival 14 years ago.

So Dirt Man tells Old Boy (who can time travel) to send him to the past.
    But Old Boy is so old that he can only use his power on rare occasions.
    Aparantly Dirt Man wants Hiro to replace Old Boy as the family teleporter/time traveler.

So Dirt Man goes to the past to convince Hiro that if he uses his power for small things, the effect won't be so drastic.
    So Dirt Man gets Hiro uses his power to fix a crucial moment in order to make Kimiko love Ando.
    And this friendly act is somehow supposed to cause Hiro to find to Dirt Man and the carnival?
    And Hiro teleports back to present day Japan.

We find out that Dirt Man has an active compass tatoo on his arm.
    Speed Knife jumps Bennet, and takes the special compass. Peter takes Bennet to the hospital.
    Dirt Man's evil plans are moving forward.
    Speed Knife tells Dirt Man that he met Peter the power absorber (Peter is not a damn empath.)
    Tatoo Girl then reveals 3 more mutants that they must gather.
    It's Peter, Sylar, and Claire.

Dirt Man says that Joseph was some sort of compass. So he feels lost without Joseph as if a part of him is missing.
    He says the carnival needs some sort of replacement for Joseph.
    Dirt Man thinks Peter might be able to replace his dead brother, Joseph.
    So Dirt Man goes back to civilization aparantly for the fist time in a long time.

Dirt Man pretends to be some victim that Peter rescued and ended up hurting. So he is pretending to sue Peter.
    When they talk, Peter doesn't recognize him. So Dirt Man uses his power to alter a photo to make Peter think he was a victim.
    Peter somehow finds Dirt Man at the park. They have a healing conversation.
    Dirt Man realizes that Peter is the perfect candidate. So he gives Peter the power of Dirt.

Dirt Man visits his the rich people mansion where his family were servants.
    The rich people treat Dirt Man like dirt.
    so he kills them all, and levels the mansion.
    When Peter arrives on the scene, Dirt Man is hiding.
    Suddenly, Peter feels pain in his arm, and finds out he has the compass tatoo.

Mute Girl meets Peter at work. She discovers that she has the ability to see sound. She practices on a giant violin at the park.
    Peter sees her, and tries to catch her.

What is the purpose of the compass?
    What is the whole deal with the carnival family?
    What do they do?
    What is Dirt Man's evil agenda?
    What past do they want Hiro to fix that Old Boy cannot fix?
    How does going back to help Hiro change the past supposed to make Hiro come to them?
    What is the deal with the compass tatoo on Dirt Man's arm which is now also on Peter's arm?
    What was the compass that they threw into the brother's grave?
    How the hell did Bennet find out where the key belonged?
    How did Bennet convince the bank staff at the safety deposit place that he was Danko?
    How was Peter able to hold his own against Speed Knife?
    How did Bennet suddenly survive Speed Knife's mugging?
    How did Peter find Dirt Man at the park?

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

1. Sylar's back, but does that mean he's still in Matt's head? He'll probably continue pretending to be Nathan. Then become president.
    2. Bennet is back on the case.
    3. What is the revenge that Dirt Man wants?
    4. Why is Dirt Man gathering mutants?
    5. Why is Speedy Knife all upset about what's going on?
    6. What's with Hiro? What happened to him when he finally came clean? Where did he go again?

18. superstring01 Moderator

Heroes has sucked since season one. I don't know why I continue watching it.

~String

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I know but there's something about it. The cinematography is great, imo. I really didn't watch any TV show at all until Heroes came out. There have been various shows with people with super powers. But when I heard one was coming out on mainstream TV, I waited specifically for it. Come to find out much later that Heroes was a copy of a show called 44000 that was much better. I ended up finding about 44000 only last year, and it was a very good show. Those bastards killed it before the next season in which alot of stuff was supposed to go down.

All story and dialogue aside, the quality of Heroes is much better than other shows. I really thought Hiro was going to fight a dinosaur, but that didn't happen. It would have been great. But he did go to mideaval Japan which was fun.

20. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Duh. Because Peter is hot, and Hiro is super duper "I'll take a scoopful thank you." cute.

Srsly.

Those deep eyes, the wry smile. Those god damned shoulders. Yum.

Sendhil Ramamurthy (Mohinder) and James Kyson Lee (Ando) aren't bad either. Sendhil has shoulders that span the entire Golden Gate, dreamy.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  21. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

See!

Beautifully perfect shoulders.

I lurv a man with good shoulders.

22. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

WTF? Gross. Double gross.

23. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Blah. You have no taste.

Milo has the most kissable hips ever, right String?