He's not the Messiah

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Ted Grant II, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Ted Grant II Registered Senior Member

As we all know, God is the god of the Jews (= Israelites = God's chosen people) and the Old Testament was written by the Jews, inspired by God. The Jews expected and predicted that there would be a Messiah, but they don't believe Jesus fulfilled their expectation. Obviously, the Jews are the best people to interpret the Old testament as it is their book. If you're having any trouble interpreting that book, just ask a Jew. The Jews are still waiting for the Messiah. One reason is that the father of the Messiah must be from the house of David and must be a King of the Jews, just like David and he must lead lead the Jews into battle against the enemies of the Jews, which, 2000 years ago were the Romans. Not only that, but he must win, not die!

We don't really know what Jesus thought about himself. We have no contemporary sources. We have letters and stories, written several years, sometimes several decades after Jesus died. Are they historically reliable ?
    Secular historians, who try to be neutral theologically, find these sources problematic for several reasons.

Taking the sources literally, as some people do, leads to some troublesome conclusions.
    For example, we have Jesus saying...

"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Note: We are still waiting.

and

"When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid.But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Note: This suggestion isn't often followed by Christians - I'm thinking of Sunday Dinner.

and

"when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly".

Note: It is common for Christians to pray in public, all reciting the same prayer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Proselytizing without paying for your own blog is covered by more than one of the seven sins, right? Pride, sloth and greed.

Stupidity should be a cardinal sin, as well. You're going to hell for that, you fool.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ted Grant II Registered Senior Member

I seem to have made a mistake.
    I wish you all well in the future.
    Goodbye.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Somehow, some people seem to think you are a preaching theist.

<>