Hey, anything for a dollar

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Brian Foley, May 16, 2007.

1. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

That's exactly how corporations practice their business ethics !

Children die, who cares ?

The only thing that matters is profitability for share holders.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is good population control..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It says around 1.4 million children die each year of illnesses such as diarrhoea that could have been prevented if they were being breastfed.

Yes, we should force women to breastfeed their children!

But - despite the dangers of mixing infant formula with dirty water and using unsterile bottles ...

Yep, if they don't have clean, potable water and sterilizing equipment, we shouldn't allow infant formula to be sold to them.

The "good guys" of the world need to step up to the plate and prevent people from doing any such activities that the "good guys" don't approve. If they continue to do it, then we should nuke them all.

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Exactly when have you ever moved yourself to Bangladesh to protect the children from the corporations?

It's fine to advocate. It's better to actually protect.

Never confuse motion for action.

Pretense is cheaper than it can be made to appear.

8. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

I think you and your family should spend a year in some 3rd World shithole preferably Somalia that ought buck your ideas up .
    What do you want me to do invade a corporation .

9. John99 Banned Banned

Didnt anyone rerad the article?

It says the water they mixit with is dirty. Is the mix itself ok?

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I was born in poverty ...and worked my way out of it to be able to retire at 55 years old with enough money to last for the rest of my life. I know something about poverty ...but I also know something about hard work.

Baron Max

11. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

What was your first job?

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It doesn't matter, John, the corporations are guilty according to most around here. The way I see it, they think the corporations are guilty simply because they're corporations. If those corporations make a profit, then they're evil!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I skimmed the article. It is sad, but does show some improvement from Nestle's earlier practice, which lead to world-wide boycott of Nestle about 30 years ago. (I still try to avoid any Nestle product.)

Back then, Nestle not only promoted canned baby food as better, like used in advanced countries, etc. in African hospitals, but GAVE, two cases of their product to new mothers leaving the hospitals. Two cases, guaranteed that 99% of them would have dry breasts when the last can was used.

Thus giving only propaganda is a step forward. Perhaps in 30 years more, Nestle will cease promotion and admit what science has known for 50 years - Mother's milk is by far the best food for new born. Not only does it contain many factors that cow's milk does not have (or has them effective only for the calf's biology) these factors, specific to humans, change with time to meet the baby's changing needs (E.G. less immunologic support factors as the baby's own immunological system develops, etc.)

I will resume buying Nestle products when they stop telling lies, admit this truth.

I ENCOURAGE OTHERS,
    who are concerned with either:
    (1) the truth in science (my main reason)
    or
    (2) the welfare of babies in poor countries (not much concern to me)
    TO DO THE SAME.

PS to answer John99's question:
    Yes the mix is OK - just expensive and inferior to what nature freely provides.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Yes, I think we will see downfall of the corporation at some point. The directions they take really boggle the mind.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What if they were doing it in the US?

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Doing what, Sam? Selling baby formula? Not forcing women to breastfeed their babies? What did they do wrong?

Baron Max

17. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Simple: Spread lies that injure millions of babies and when compounded with unclean water (to mix formulae that replace clean, supperior, free, mother's milk) kills thousands annually.

Some people go to jail for 10,000 fewer murders. Why not Nestle CEOs?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Using dirty water. Who would be held responsible?

19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Dirty water company.

20. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

I tend to believe that mothers, obsessing about the shape of their breasts (and thus not breastfeeding), are somewhat responsible too. Corporations are just playing and making $ on that "need".

21. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

I've asked this question many times, I'll ask again - if everybody knew about the hard work as much as you do, poverty would disappear?

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Nestle used dirty water???

What's really odd here is that even if Nestle weren't around, those people would have been giving their kids the same dirty water to drink ...and thus the kids would have suffered just as much or more. So ....what's Nestle have to do with it all?

It's the fault of India ...not supplying the people with clean drinking water. Why blame Nestle? Shouldn't we be blaming India?

Baron Max

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yes. But it's not all about hard work, it's also about not having children when you can't afford to feed and house them or give them proper medical care.

Baron Max