Hey Stokes!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by goofyfish, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. immane1 Registered Senior Member

"yes... where would a bullet find a relatively hard material to bounce off of upon punching though someone’s SCULL.... hmmm where inside someone’s SCULL is there some sort of tough substance that a small bullet would have a tough time penetrating... in someone’s SCULL."

While it would be true that if ones skull was shot from a certain angle, AND the bullet had insufficient energy to exit the other side of the skull, it usually takes a route around the inner skull much the same way a basketball rolls around the rim on certain shots. It usually does not "rattle around". There are 4 main .22rimfire cartridges. The .22 short,.22 long,.22 long rifle,and .22 magnum. All of these would have different effects as they generally travel at different velocities. Bullet type would affect the ballistics as well. Although if a bullet has already gone through your brain, it seems moot that it ricochets. You are probably dead anyways.

http://www.swlink.net/~hoboh/foster/pages/BeyersBizzareDrawing/BizzareDrawing.htm

Here is a link that explains the "ricochet effect". This seems to be common on any moderate velocity, small caliber bullet, not just .22's, so for the most part, I STAND CORRECTED!!
    You may take a bow now Mossey. *slinks away in shame*

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I think you made a good suggestion. Not only will we waste many bullets in one place, but we'll also destroy some major gun suppliers. You up for it sweet?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. immane1 Registered Senior Member

"hmmm where inside someone’s SCULL is there some sort of tough substance that a small bullet would have a tough time penetrating"

Oh, and before you gloat too much, the actual size of the bullet has nothing to do with "having a tough time penetrating a skull"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Ballistics doesn't really work that way from what I know of it. Remember, if you shoot an M-16 across a field, and I drop a bullet from the same height as the gun, they hit the ground at the same time. My point is that within an effective range, the bullet is going to penetrate your skull. Now what it does after that, I couldn't say. Regardless, I think the reason that hitters use .22's is because they don't create an exit wound. No mess. Less evidence. Just as dead. Makes sense to me.

My personal fav is to insert a sharp, flat blade into that crease just between the first and second vertebrae. No mess. Very little blood. The target just slumps over dead, with a severed spinal cord. Tony Hillerman taught me that little nugget.

8. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Momma must be proud.

9. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

All this talk of bullets and brains is getting me horny.

10. immane1 Registered Senior Member

So, anyway, I don't have a problem with queers or any other law-abiding citizen carrying guns to protect themselves. Gay bashing is just stupid. While I am not a huge fan of the gay lifestyle, I could really care less what you do in your own home. You can jerk your dog off, with a heroin needle sticking out of your arm for all I care.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

You know, I'm not sure if Goofy counts as a troll for this thread, seeing how it has inspired argument between both sides of the gun debate, yet didnt have much of a point to it to begin with.

12. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Sure does, momentum has two components, force which is better in a large bullet because you can fit more powder in the cartridge, and Mass which of course a larger bullet has more of. The bigger the bullet the less likely your little scull can stop it.

13. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

Next physics class I take I'm going to ask tons of bullet related questions and turn it into a ballistics course.

Blades are more dangerous than guns at close range especially when the person with the blade knows what there doing.

14. immane1 Registered Senior Member

"Sure does, momentum has two components, force which is better in a large bullet because you can fit more powder in the cartridge, and Mass which of course a larger bullet has more of. The bigger the bullet the less likely your little scull can stop it."

The only point you are missing is:
    Larger caliber bullets (like the 9mm,.38/.357, .40, and .45) are usually 3-5 times the weight of .22 rimfire bullets. This more than offsets the frontal area disadvantage the larger bullets have for skull penetration capabilities.

Well, I learned a little more about head wound ballistics and forensics than I thought I would.

15. Stokes Pennwalt Nuke them from orbit. Registered Senior Member

She apparently approves of more than one type of Bush.

/rimshot

16. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

And with that we end our discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.