hijabs in other religions

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Preacher_X, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Preacher_X Registered Senior Member

Too often, the hijab is dismissed as the preserve of Muslims fundamentalist. But in the Christian tradition, St Paul ordered women to cover hir heads and until the Sixties, no women would be seen in an English church without a hat and gloves. Many English women wore hats out in the street or headscarves tied under their chin. Hindu and Sikh women are still expected to cover their heads loosely for their honour or izzat and Orthodox Jewish women have traditionally worn wigs over their real hair to conceal it from men who are not their husbands. Yet, among all these cultural groups, only Muslims women seem to have been describe as weak or oppressed on account of their headgear.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ebony Registered Senior Member

How does a piece of cloth on a Muslim woman's head stop them from doing something that a non-muslim woman without a scarf can't do? Its a piece of cloth. And from the reading I have done on Islam, I did not find anything that says muslim women can't work or whatever. I actually see muslim women working, walking on the street by themselves and so on in my community. It makes a person wonder. You see this, then you see Saudi Arabia. :bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vienna Registered Senior Member

You thick sod

British women wearing headscarfs up to the sixties had NOTHING to do with Christianity

It was a fashion.

Next time you make a claim on something British, do your homework, make sure you know what you are talking about, thicko.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

The whole idea that god ordered women to cover themselves up is just plain funny IMHO.

God: WHOA check out miss Smith Gabriel!
    Gabriel:AY CHIUAHUA boss that is one fiiine lady.
    God:Uh oh here comes Bob
    Gabriel:Hey is he allowed to do that? Can't he control himself?
    God:Well I guess she asked for it....bad miss Smith!
    Gabriel:But you made her boss.. it's Bob who has the problem
    God:Let's not get technical G are you forgetting I DON'T MAKE MISTAKES
    Gabriel:Yes boss, your right boss, sorry.
    God:hmmmmm what to do, what to do....
    Gabriel:Uhm we could put a bag over her.
    God:No good no good to restrictive no arm holes
    Gabriel:Well I guess it is her hair that is the most beauti... err I mean wicked
    God:Yes ok then take a message to em' cover it up and give em the usual speil about I said this and that in my infinite mercy etc etc.
    Gabriel

k boss be right back
    God

h and ask em to worship me more I never do get enough of that stuff

8. skywalker 3 @ T M 3 Registered Senior Member

I think we should ask this question to vienna, since he is a self proclaimed scholar in christianity and Islam. lol

9. Vienna Registered Senior Member

Very funny - not! Your comments are about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit

10. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

people trying to use skewed facts to favor their argument is bs ...
    fashion interperted as will of god is complete bs and vienna is right in saying so
    fashion is self inflicted you could choose to apply it or not but its YOUR CHOICE
    hijab is not, more often then not its society inflicted and it reminds of several women raped in france because they didn't wore hijab and were deemed wicked by their community so it was ok to abuse and assault them they deserved it in the minds of those "moderate muslims" that lived there.

11. johnahmed Registered Senior Member

no, it was not out of fashion,but worn out of modesty and christian tradition,just as today u won't get women going out topless,does'nt mean they are covering them selves cos of fashion