Hillary makes History!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Ivan Seeking, Jul 27, 2016.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Good. Finally, some common sense prevails.

The last thing we need is another Prop-65 lawsuit generator.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Genetically Modified Food. Roundup Ready crops are crops genetically modified to be resistant to the herbicide Roundup. Roundup is the brand-name of a herbicide produced by Monsanto. Its active ingredient glyphosate was patented in the 1970s

"The most striking result from the experiments was that a
    chemical designed to kill plants killed 98 percent of all tadpoles
    within three weeks and 79 percent of all frogs within one day," Relyea
    wrote.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/08/050804053212.htm

Gmo foods may be safe. Or, maybe not.
    My choice:
    I would not pay to help kill off amphibians.

Like a canary in a coal mine, we should pay heed to the victims of the Monsanto monster.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

Well, if any of this mattered compared to the threat to the world posed by Trump, it would be different. But given the significance of the choice we face - Hillary or a sociopath - GMO rates about 9999th on my list of concerns.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

What are the other 9998?

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Dude, this is thirty year old news. What's your point?

Nobody but the wingnut crowd has been mistaking the modern Democratic Party for some kind of leftwing, progressive, or extremely liberal organization. If you guys have finally woken up, can we get a bit less of the "extreme left" rhetoric from now on?
    Only on the Dem side. She pales beside the any national Republican politician.
    Too bad. The scene is what it is. It's not like we can take a year off without a President and start over looking for the next one.
    Failing to label the stuff potentially increases, not decreases, the role of lawsuits.

You're rolling the dice on what's going to be discovered whenever they get around to actually testing some of these GMOs, or the various economic and ecological etc effects start kicking in.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Google Prop 65.
    Almost every parking garage, store, mall, amusement park and attraction in California now has a Prop 65 warning - "This XXX contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and/or reproductive harm." They are so prevalent that they are now ignored by everyone except ambulance chasers, who have taken advantage of this law to make tens of millions on lawsuits. (2/3 of the money awarded in Prop 65 lawsuits goes to lawyers.) There are law firms in California now who do nothing but Prop 65 lawsuits. Indeed, the proposition was initially proposed by a personal injury lawyer - the same lawyer who proposed California's GMO labeling law.

There has been no evidence that it has had any effect on cancer or injury rates.

So randomly labeling for hazards does provably increase frivolous lawsuits while doing nothing to improve safety, and I have no doubt it would do the same for GMO's.

I am all for voluntary labeling of any product in any way the company wishes to label it, and I support organizations (like Oregon Tilth) that publish and test to consistent standards. If a person wants to buy non-GMO food there are plenty of options for them, and plenty of labels for them to consult to determine what's in the product.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member