Historical debate group?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by thecurly1, Jul 17, 2001.

1. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Not only do I have intrests in science, but I like to chat about politics, and society. If there are enough requests, could we get a historical sub group? Name it historical debate or something like that. I think it would help bring in more people and keep us attached to our computers a bit longer.

THANKS I LOVE THE SITE!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Yes that would be good. A History forum under the Life group.

I hated history when I was at school but now I wished I'd paid more attention. Researching a lot of the religious debates has made me see history in a very differnt light, totally fascinating. I believe understanding our past is essential to properly understanding where and what we are today.

Looking at ourselves today is like looking at a photograph, but looking at history is like watching a movie, it gives a whole new perspective to life.

Cris

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Thanks

Cris, thanks for considering a History forum. I didn't really have a large interest in History, and then I moved from Science as my number one interest to History. I've just found it a bit more loose and free to talk about, you aren't as confined to theories and laws as you can be in hard scientific debates.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

World Affairs

I would suggest that World Affairs & Politics is certainly an appropriate forum to discuss global issues and events, present and past.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

8. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Dave,

No I disagree. World affairs will almost always be taken to mean current affairs.

If I wanted to begin a topic on the rise and fall of the Roman empire, where would I put that? Art and culture isn't a good fit, and neither is world affairs.

Of course this site is sciforums, and I guess we would be moving further away from science if we introduce more of the arts.

But I'm not pushing hard here since I wouldn't expect many to contribute to a history forum anyway. Unless of course we suddenly receive hundreds of posts to this thread in support.

Cris

9. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

If there are enough requests we'll make one...

I'm just sugesting a Historical debate category. Of course I want to keep the site, close to its scientific origins. But I also think that diversifying would help us think about even more subjects. Of course this will be decided democratically, if there are enough votes we get it. If there aren't no History category.

10. kmguru Staff Member

Well, if you want to stick to science, you can always setup Anthropology!! which is related to History - a cousin perhaps?

an·thro·pol·o·gy n. Abbr. anthrop. 1. The scientific study of the origin, the behavior, and the physical, social, and cultural development of human beings. 2. That part of Christian teaching concerning the genesis, nature, and future of human beings: "changing the church's anthropology to include more positive images of women" (Priscilla Hart). –

11. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Anthropology isn't what i'm shooting for.

Anthropology while related to science and history isn't what I meant by a history category. We already have categories relating to society, and cultural development. There wouldn't be a real appropriate category to talk about, the JFK assassination, Watergate, WWII, or even maybe something more abstract like the Armenian Massacre.

12. kmguru Staff Member

You have a point there but....I thought....

JFK assassination - Politics
    Watergate - Politics
    WWII - World Affairs
    Armenian Massacre - Politics & World Affairs

would work too...

13. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

If the people want it we'll give it to them.

14. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

kmguru, I agree with those topic/forum pairings. World Affairs may not be optimally named, but I repeat my belief that it is an appropriate place for current/past discussion of globally-relevant topics.

Now, I realize that the idea of an Anthropology forum is not what thecurly1 was intending, but nonetheless I find this to be an interesting idea. The human sciences such as anthropology, sociology, and psychology are distinctly interesting, and do fit well with the science-centric theme of the site. Does anyone else agree?

15. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Dave,

Yes I agree. In fact we tend to touch on many of these issues as part of the religious debates - usually in attempts to prove or refute others arguments. They become items of research and in fact are truly interesting in their own right.

Cris

16. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Most of these topics are referred to through out the forum in one form or another. Mostly through indirect reference. It would be nice to have some reference through those forums that link to to such.