" Holy Cow"

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by shorty_37, Apr 22, 2008.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

LG, are you a woman? You have this interesting tendency that I've noticed in many women. And no, I'm not going to tell you what it is.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

what the "for a guy" phrase? :bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

erm, after they sacrifice them, they are eaten

(I see this is a topic that many people are familiar with ...)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think a lot of women brow beat supe, so he just assumes that anyone else who does it must also be a woman

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ha! Funny and true, but not the correct answer!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

OK, let's thrown in actual education, because Sam forgot to tell us about Indian slaughterhouses. They are not as stupid as we think:

"Cow slaughter is permitted with limits in all of India except two provinces: the states of West Bengal and Kerala, where no limits exist. Cows are routinely shipped to these provinces for slaughter, even though it is illegal to transport cows for slaughter across provincial borders.However, many private slaughterhouses also operate in big cities such as Mumbai. While there are approximately 3,600 slaughterhouses operating legally in India, there are estimated to be over 30,000 illegal slaughterhouses.The efforts to close them down have so far been largely unsuccessful."

10. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

You're generalizing. :shrug:

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

if you read on you will see that they are mostly used for leather, not meat.

So the irony is that the logic of economics dictates that cows ar ekilled in hte west primarily for their flesh and cows in india (including nearby bangladesh) are killed for their skins

:shrug:

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Shows what I know. I thought it was strictly verboten all over india.

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

in the sense that it is the general experience of any person involved in ritualistic animal slaughter in india ....

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I think the irony is that people are stupid no matter where you go.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

no prizes for guessing which part of the world the leather goods end up going to ....

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

there's only so much meat a person can eat in the vicinity of 30 000 dead carcasses with no refrigeration

17. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I understand that. I'm speaking in broad, general sense. The complex of interrelated socioeconomic forces that result in such things (by the thousands, all over the world) is, umm... stupid, because it's all just people. Greedy, self-interested, dull-witted people. Present company excepted of course.

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

kind of makes you wonder why we have the facility to entertain ideal situations when there is a complete absence of them here ....

19. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Gods joke?

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

From the cow's point of view, it doesn't matter, does it?

More education from The Independent:

http://www.vnn.org/world/WD0002/WD15-5476.html

"When they finally make it to the slaughterhouses that stand on the Kerala border, the end they confront is unspeakable, Mrs Gandhi says. "In Kerala they also have a unique way of killing them - they beat their heads to a pulp with a dozen hammer blows."

But if you read it further, it is apparent they kill them for meat too:

" A well-intentioned visitor from the West, trying to improve slaughterhouse practice in Kerala, exhorted them to use stun guns, saying that the meat of an animal killed in this fashion (rather than having its throat slit) tasted sweeter. The stun guns that she left behind quickly broke and fell into disuse, but the belief that the meat was sweeter took hold - which explains this horrible method of slaughtering.""

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

something like that

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

that and worse
    If you want to get a good picture of it check out a documentary on youtube called earthlings

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

According to India Today (January 11, 1996), "As long as 1955, an expert committee on cattle said in its report: 'The scientific development of cattle means the culling of useless animals...by banning slaughter...the worthless animals will multiply and deprive the more productive animals of any chance of development.'"

Shepard (1996) criticizes one anthropologist who wrote a long article defending the sacred cow on 'ecological' grounds as a consumer of weeds and plant materials that otherwise went to waste, because this view of the sacred cow is a flagrant but familiar abuse of the concept of ecology as maximum use instead of a complex, stable, bio-centric community.

Seeing the increasing desertification of pasture lands caused by overgrazing, and cattle having less and less grazing land as good land is put under cultivation, environmentalist Valmik Thapar foresees that if the cattle problem is not soon corrected, "Finally there will be a clash because the land mass of the country can't sustain the growing human and animal population. Then the question will arise as to who is going to eat. Man or cow?" (India Today, January 11, 1996)

Looks like I would rather be a cow in Texas waiting to be a burger, than a sacred cow in India. The former suffers much LESS.