Holy texts should be respected by scholars

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Lawdog, Jun 26, 2006.

1. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

That's what I thought. Jews and Christians are taught the same, but the latter tend to worship crucifixes and images of the Blessed Virgin. This, and various works of devotional art that were not originally intended to be taken literally, lead to misunderstanding. Go figure.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes, I personally believe that all religions share the same God; in Hinduism too there is the Trinity concept of God as the Creator, the Sustainer and the Destroyer; but if you go further back into Hindu philosophy, it turns out that they too started with one God

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Well, that's not all they do. But the deeds of humanity are most glaring in their greatest failures, are they not?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

How can anyone argue with that?

So, what is the point of this god entity again? We're free. We make our own choices. We have some power to control the direction of our lives. We should do what we know to be right. This is the atheists general philosophy. You have stolen it.

Again, if my choice is to kill millions of innocents, what does this god idea do for them?

Sorry. I'm fairly stupid when it comes to simple observation and logic.

8. General_Paul Registered Senior Member

Aye, the deeds of humanity are always most glaring in their greatest failures. I guess in the end that's what we should be most proud of, since even in failure, we learn from our mistakes. Even if it does take a few centuries to get around to really working out the kinks.

However, I have come to the conclusion that people like Lawdog are incapable of learning from mistakes, rather they prefer to cower under their pulpit and prey to their god/gods/whatever and claim that theirs is the one "true" faith. Hopefully in the future we won't have to deal with that kind of religious zealotism, but I have been known to be wrong from time to time!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well if you are a true Muslim and you want to live in harmony with nature's laws, evrytime you have some doubt, you open the Quran and check the rules.

So if you get up tomorrow morning thinking, today I will exercise my free will by killing a million innocent people; before actually doing it, you need to check the rules:

So what are the rules for killing people in the Quran?

Whosoever kills a human being without (any reason like) man slaughter, or terrorism, it is as though he had killed all mankind ... (5:32)

Do not kill a soul which Allah has made sacred except through the due process of law ... (6:151)

So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom shall see it. And whosoever does evil equal to the weight of an atom shall see it. [99:7-8]

So, do you still go out and kill people?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

That's not the point and you know it. Resorting to scriptural bludgeoning will not help.

Muslims woke up one morning, read the rules, and blew up a subway. A bus. Some buildings. The point is obviously that they are free to make that choice, evil or not.

How does god explain to the innocents why they are dead? How does the idea of a god make any difference if it can do nothing to protect the innocent from the evil. If humans have to do all the work, what is the place of a god? The obvious answer is that it's just us and our own natures we have to deal with.

11. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

I had this idea years ago, while I was still very religious. But I was also getting very interested in science, and I never could fit God into physics, or understand why he should exist. (I still can't quite, for that matter. I am getting the feeling that God is a very simple concept, and the reason I can't understand it is because my head is stuck in the clouds. The same thing happened to me (on a lesser scale) when I was learning integration.

) Plus, I was dealing with some... personal issues... so I never really took it seriously. It is a fascinating idea, though.

I think it will always exist in one form or another. Humans are as emotional and irrational as they are detached and analytical, and each side of the coin has its own benefits and pitfalls.

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Don't those fence posts in your butt hurt after a while?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sorry, just wanted you to see that there are laws which don't include bludgeoning infidels

What I'm trying to say is, that the right way and the wrong way is clearly defined so all the people who say Allaho Akbar and then blow people up are WRONG.

As for death, the moment a man makes a wrong choice in life the consequences of his actions are written down as destiny against him.

How can murder ever be justified as in harmony with the laws of God and nature; this is a misinterpretation of religon

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  14. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

What do you mean? Is this a contentious political issue? Do I have to pick a team? I'd rather be honest about my uncertainty of the world around me, if I can.

The fence is just so insignificant in the proper perspective. :m:

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

And this requires a rule book? Nope. You already know that human morality and ethics are genetically encoded. This is why some other species sans the quran or bible show the same basic morals and ethics we do. Bla blah. One million threads later on this subject we see...

Okey dokey.

So, how come god dosen't protect the little children from terrorists?

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yes, you can barely see those posts when you're sitting on them.

You can be as uncertain as you like, but if you meet every statement with "well, everything has its good and bad points..." it leaves you in that little space between Casimir plates, exhibiting quantum uncertainty and sucking on both sides. Ha.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The rule book is required to protect the boundaries of morality.

Why do we need laws? Don't you murder is wrong? What about burglary?
    Why does the law not protect the innocent?

Here is where the faith steps in. God is the one who gives life and God is the one who takes it away; if someone dies violently by murder or terrorism, we can seek recompense from the law. Otherwise, we have to accept that it was qadar.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hey no bashing!

Everyone is entitled to find his own way to religion or non-religion; you cannot decide or deride what someone else chooses or rejects. This is freedom of choice and we all have it.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

super:
    Do you remember you told me that your spirituality is linked to the cosmos? Well the Prophet said 'one hour in the contemplation of God's creation is equal to seventy years of prayer'; you see you can qualify as an agnostic Muslim

20. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Awesome.

That's fine, I'm happy being a flip-flopping quantum-tunneling fence-posting opinionless pussy. I have relatively little morality to begin with. Things often just are. Actually, does that make me a robot? If you want, I bet I can stop the "this can be good or bad" nonsense and state things much more matter-of-factly. I'll even bet all the human-sounding fluff is just social adaptation.

21. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

You are well on your way to converting me. Maybe. Sort of. Kinda. Probably not.

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Excellently said!

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Naah! You're perfect, wouldn't change one hair on your head!