Hot and Cold Drinks?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by ericfost, Sep 25, 2003.

1. ericfost Registered Senior Member

I had a thought while drinking an ice cold coke... what makes us enjoy drinks more when they're either cold (ICEE, cold sodas, ice cold water) or hot (coffee, hot chocolate)? I mean we aren't really gaining anything by drinking a coke ice cold, instead of at room temperature. Why do we do it?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

When a coke is colder it can hold more carbonated bubbles, when its warm they all fizz out fast and you have to drink it flat

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MrMynomics The Boss Registered Senior Member

Cans of pepsi, dont taste as good as the bottles of pepsi.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I don't drink much carbonated colas any longer. I like either fresh squeezed lemonaid, fresh squeezed orange juice, or grape juice. I enjoy them chilled but not necessarily with ice in them. I drank 7-up before I switched about 20 years ago. I do on occasion drink ginger ale whenever I might be in the mood for a little carbonation.

8. ericfost Registered Senior Member

How would the extra carbonated bubbles get into the can? A drink gets flat when you open it and drink it later, that's not what I'm talking about. My question is simply this: Why do we, as humans, generally enjoy our beverages COLD or HOT instead of room temperature? Why do we go to the extra effort to chill drinks like sodas and water? Does anyone see what I'm getting at?

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I'm not into the carbonated either. Never was. I like my drinks flat like juice or ice tea or water.

10. Carnuth i dont Registered Senior Member

well id think that it would depend on the environment, like if you went skiing and go inside a place with no heater, a warm drink would be good, and if its hot or relatively warm, a cold drink would be nice to help lower or regulate your temp.

11. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Extra bubbles dont get into it, it leaves the factory with a certain amount of bubbles. Its a property of cola that when its colder it can keep more carbondioxide dissolved in it than when it is warmer. So, open a warm bottle of soda and all your carbonation rushes out fast, but if its cold then the carbonation bubbles leave slowly as the soda warms up.

and that is why its better to have cold soda than warm... unless you dont think the bubbles improve the soda experience, in which case i would have to call you a nut.

12. ericfost Registered Senior Member

I think Carnuth is the only one that actual gets what I'm talking about, everyone else is stuck on bubbles lol. Forget soda. I'm sorry I even used that as an example.

Here's a better question: Why, if you offered a group of people either a chilled bottle of water or an unchilled bottle of water, does everyone pick the chilled bottle? The temperature of the water does not give you any advantage, yet everyone would choose the cold one. Why?

13. Blunther Registered Senior Member

I know what you mean matey.

If you were to dirnk coffee, you'd want it HOT. If you were to drink water, you'd want it COLD.

I was thinking about this just the other day, but with food. It's the same there. If I were to eat a hamburger, I'd want it hot. If I were to eat a fruit salad, I'd want it cold. It's just what tastes right.

I wonder if the heat affects the flavour. We all know a cold coffee isn't as nice as a hot coffee (not that I like coffee, but it's an example). But surely the taste is the same, it's just the temperature that's different. What is it that determines what tastes right? Is it just what we are used to?

If one brought up a child, and made it normal for it to drink coffee cold, water hot, and steak, chips, pie, curry, pasta etc cold, so that that was normal to him/her, would he/she think that what we like is abnormal?

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think Blunther is on the right track.

Same reason most people like or dislike just about anything.

It is simply what we are taught.
    Learned behaviors.
    Conditioned responses.
    Social mores.

An old acquantence of mine lived in India for a while and worked as a waiter.

When tourists would come in, he would sometimes insist that it is "normal" for people to drink their soda hot in India, just for fun.
    "Hot" as in "coffee hot".
    They invariably loved it.

Have you ever tried hot lemonade?
    It is actually delicious. (I discovered it in a church in Texas a long time ago)
    Many people drink cold coffee.
    I prefer my soda cool (not cold) and slightly flat.

15. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

mmm cold hot chocolate....
    or a nice warm slurpy!
    i know! cold soup! oh yum.....
    theres more to food than just TASTE, what about texture? or whathave you? i guess hot/cold falls into that catagory

havnt you ever notice that pizza actully TASTES differnt when its cold
    well to me it does atleast

16. Anew Life isn't a question. Banned

I personally like Coca Cola

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have never tried any of these new cremish color energy drinks. Forgive my ignorance if it is unfounded; yet are some of these new energy older now crème colored drinks made with womens breast milk and or pot sugar?!!

17. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

ericfost's main question is why hot or cold rather than room temp. Iced coffee is common. People drink Dr Pepper hot. I like cold tea & hot tea. When I am late to a meal, I do not need mine reheated as long as it was cooked well. I have drank some drinks at room temp, which are normally cold or hot, because I needed something & that was all there was. I didn't like it but it wasn't horrible.

18. Anew Life isn't a question. Banned

wouldn't it be neat if Coka Cola and other soda company's went from can to a capri sun sort of drinking vessel. With population continuously increasing the idea to soften up high consumption produit industrial food and drink packageing ain't bad or wrong.

Also such packageing would cool easier, via vending and display machines.

I like a cold drink sometimes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Among other drinks, I love fruit juice. Lately I've had the urge to combine juice with "ginger ale". Mmmm. I also love genuine ginger ale. Have you tried it?

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

That is a great idea for some purposes/occasions yet there may also be a need for the sturdier packaging of bottles & cans.

21. !!!!!batman!!!!! Registered Member

the primary reason why i think cold drinks become desirable, is due to hot environments where ingesting something that is cold an amount of relief due to heat dispersal.