Houston, Texas, the first mega dome city - a good idea?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by common_sense_seeker, Apr 14, 2010.

?

Are giant city mega domes a good idea?

1. Yes - work should start immediately, money saved in the long run

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No - too dangerous, risky and likely to go over budget

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Don't know - I not sure just yet

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

True...Galveston is in a lot more danger to hurricanes...but who wants to go the beach covered in a dome?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Hurricanes spawn mini-tornados; Ike spawned a lot of them. One (or more than one) of them ripped through our neighborhood.

I live a few miles west of the bay. I (maybe stupidly) stayed during Ike. The silence when the eye passed overhead woke me up. I ventured outside with a flashlight, "Not too bad!" The water had risen to about 50 yards of our house, and not a huge amount of debris. I knew that that would be the extent of the tidal surge for us because the winds from the backside of the storm would push the water north and west; i.e., away from us. I thought that that would be the worst of the winds also; the strongest winds are usually on the leading edge of the eyewall. I was right about the waters but wrong about the winds. We got slammed big time when the trailing edge of the eyewall hit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Haha well I really don't like sunshine anyway so I wouldn't mind

I wish we had Ireland's weather.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. soullust Registered Senior Member

if man wants to colonize un in habitat planets they might as well learn here how to make artificial environments, what a better way then to build domes and under ground complexes here, as for earth quakes and stuff, you will see them on other galactic rocks to, id rather have a failed dome here on earth then on the moon.

8. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Also would block out potential volcanic ash deposits and be washed away by the rain naturally. That would save $billions straight away. The Iceland eruptions shows what a huge problem ash clouds can be..

9. bettaluna Registered Member

what about the effects such a dome will have on society? Houston isn't an utopia where everyone lives in perfect harmony. A dome like this present a great divide in socioeconomic classes in Houston.

also, traffic in Houston is terrible enough....why add a dome to mess it up more?!

I know this thread is old, but I couldn't help myself.

10. Gage Registered Senior Member

Lol of course there are people who think this is a good idea!

11. Glimview Banned Banned

orographic lifting would cause it to rain constantly on one side of the dome if it was 1500'. Lawsuit city