How Can I Become A Genius?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by §outh§tar, Jun 17, 2004.

1. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

To become a genius: genes or environment.

Is it possible to become a genius after a certain age? And if so how? What stimulus is needed: diet, music (i hear piano is a big factor)..

And of course, we must start with what exactly is a genius?

//Went to BestBuy and bought $30 worth of Mozart tapes. Listened to that crap while I was sleeping and didn't even feel any smarter this mornin'...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

I question the concept of genius, but oh well
    most so-called geniuses are naturally born with some kind of special talent or abilities - it's in their genes
    yes it is very possible to get smarter after you are born, all you gotta do is trigger and use your brain cells, but this method differs from person to person because supposedly everybody has different ways to develop and use his/her neurons. it doesn't have to be listening to piano, music is just one way of stimulating your neurons
    best way to get smart? read more books, learn more knowledge, use your head...

a genius is simply any person who has shown extremely exceptional talents and skills in one or more subjects, usually way above the "standard". this can mean anything from answering questions quickly and accurately in class, to frequently getting perfect on tests, or scoring high on an IQ test, and winning on Jeopardy!

keep listening to Mozart

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

None. Try your actions, and your thoughts. You are more likely to become a genious if you believe you are able to do it.

It is always possible. It's just that as you grow older, it gets harder. Piano is certainly helpful, but it will get harder, as you grow older.

If you want real stimuli, try to learn new languages. Don't focus on the words, focus on the meanings. Don't try to translate. Try to understand the meaning of the words. Go beyond the words. Try to think without using them. Those are very good stimuli for your brain....

The easiest way to understand that is by asking the question: what would a genious do? For eample, a genious person will probably try to connect two completely different subjects, and actually come up with something new. A genious person will also probably try to challenge what is believed to be true.

That's not how it works...

You have to exercise your brain muscles. And classical music is awesome for that. But you did it completely wrong. You need to pay attention to the music. You don't need to think how it works, but you need to pay attention to how the music flows. It is not like listening to rock or other musics that act like drugs. You have to become more aware of the music. Don't look at the river, look at the water, and what lies below it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You should have bought Beethovens CD's, they are much better at making you smarter.

8. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

Chopin's nocturnes, they are so beautiful and make you daydream - thus triggering your imaginative and creativity parts of the brain

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Beethoven...? Huullhh..

I, personally, don't like much of Beethoven.
    Chopin is pretty nice. But it can become repetitive.
    Debussy is really nice and mysterious. It is also more modern.
    Ravel is my favorite. Ravel's music is totally nutz!

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actualy if you were to go online and download any classical composer for free you would be showing even greater signs of smartness.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Instead of just listening to music, try learning to play it. Learning music is like learning a new language. It opens new pathways in the brain. Allowing more diverse states of mind.

A genius is a person who excels at connecting various patterns into one. All things are interconnected by various ways. Music can be said to capture the spirit of this idea in that music is so often a blend of various sounds that combine to form a greater whole. Mozart was all over the spectrum which is why I think his work is hailed as great (I don't care for most of it myself. I prefer the darker, brooding Beethoven. I did like that operatic piece they used in Shawshank Redemption, what was that one?)

Here's a question, can posting in forums contribute to genius? Forums are centered about the concept of threads that follow a topic. Now, there is certain leeway allowed in diverging from the subject, but eventually the original topic is lost and someone must bring it back on topic. A genius may begin a line of inquiry by thinking about something as mundane as scooby doo (as an example) and end up, by various leaps of logic, at something that seems wholely unrelated and off-topic. But, if one puts an effort, the chain of causality might be traced back, step by step, back to the original thought. In this way, new thoughts are formed that are variations on older thoughts. Many times the thoughts themselves aren't important, it's the interconnectedness of the whole that speaks to some type of pattern underlying basic concepts.

A genius can't be made. The harder you try to be a "genius," the farther you get from your goal. It's more a statement of someone's character than a product of knowledge. Knowledge certainly adds more fuel to the leaps of logic, but can also hinder the process by miring one down in what is known to be "true."

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Try listening to jazz. Maybe some Frank Zappa. Even his disrespectful lyrics are a lesson in "genius."

13. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

If you can first define genius satisfactorily..........
    Personally, I agree with Eddymrsci.

14. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

B-B-but that's WRONG!

Besides, mommy says the people at the RIAA are starving..

15. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

So creativity defines genius, or genius "defines" creativity?

Seems to me like it boils down to bastard genes and from what I've heard, some people get smart when they get struck by lightening. Who knows, maybe..

And what about the savante? You know, like in rain man? Surely listening to music and reading books.. that can't give one the gifts of the savante, can they?

16. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

Turn off your TV.

Read constently. Listen to Jazz and Classical... And the Beatles.

17. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

Then, write a book and then Kill Your Self because no-one "understands you."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

There is a line I've heard that I feel describes genius well, "The difference between a genius and a madman is in shades of grey. I genius uses his madness constructively. A madman uses his genius destructively."

19. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

I think genius is something a person is born with, yet it develops over time. It's almost like a talent, it just gets refined over the years

20. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

"Some madness is divinest sense" ~ Dickenson

21. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

A madman understands his actions to be constructive. I prefer shades of white

22. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

What chances does the average person have of becoming a Newton or Einstein ? Now
    apply this to yourself and determine how likely it is that you will do so. Anyway, I wish
    you luck in your intellectual growth!

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Einstein was dislexic himself. And he had lots of trouble with math. Did he got over it? Absolutely. Therefore, anyone can become a genius; you just need to work on it.