How can people age differently?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Lia, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Lia Registered Member

How can speed affect time or mass? Cause speed cannot be measured in space, lightspeed may be static while the other stuff moving at lightspeed. So how can people age differently?​

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Genetics, and beauty, which is in the eye of the beholder.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Special Relativity.
    Sure it can. The speed is measured relative to something else, like a planet or a star. Besides it doesn't matter if you can measure the speed or not.
    Huh? Light is always measured at c in a vacuum no matter what your speed is or the speed of the source of the light. If you measure the speed of light from 2 sources 180 degrees apart they would both be measured as moving at c so clearly your idea that light is static and we are moving at c is not true.
    I assume you are talking about the twin paradox. The point is that one twin has to accelerate to a different reference frame so clearly they are moving at different velocities.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wellwisher Banned Banned

References are relative with respect to velocity, but they are not relative with respect to momentum. Momentum contains mass, which is not relative to reference. For example, say we had two objects, a subcompact car and a large 18 wheel tractor trailer truck and gave them a relative velocity V. Looking out the windows of each, may not be able to tell who is moving and at which speed since the velocity is relative. However, if we collide them, with a head on collision, we can infer their absolute speeds by comparing the momentum; the different collision dynamics.

If the car was moving at V and it hit the stationary truck, head on, the car would stop dead in its tracks, barely moving the truck backwards. If the truck was moving at V and hit the stationary car, the truck would plow through the car and keep going. This is totally different, and reflect that the momentum is not relative, even if the velocity is. The reason is mass is not relative to reference.

Relative reference has its uses, but it can easily violate energy conservation. If we assume relative reference applies to energy and momentum we may need to postulate dark matter and dark energy. The dark matter an energy is needed to describe why the truck hits harder then the car, when we expected the collision to be relative. The dark energy and dark matter is contained in the truck so the collusion is not the same.

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Why are you hijacking this thread with your rather googy notions of energy and momentum?

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Length contraction and time dilation, on face value and when first suggested, appeared counter-intuitive, especially for lay people.
    Newton saw space and time as absolute. When experiments confirmed that the speed of light was always the same, irrespective of the motion of the source, this created a paradox.
    Einstein and a number of other scientists showed that to eliminate this paradox, something had to give.
    It turns out that space and time are not absolute and their quantities depend on the position and speed. The problem is that at Earthly speeds the changes and effects are very tiny and so were not noticed and considered pre-relativity.
    Both effects are beyond question as they have been observed countless thousands of times.
    The Astronauts for example, age very slightly less then they would on Earth.
    Atomic clocks that are sent around the world on a jet airliner, always appear to tick slower.
    Allowances for time dilation effects need to be considered with our GPS Satellites.

10. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

If you have asked this question before in another section, this is what is known has spamming on the internet, and is a no no, like the other poster , posted.
    However, If you are still asking the question, that must mean you either were not answered or understood the answer, or vice versus, and the question was not understood.

I will try to answer you.

You asked how can people age differently, the idea is based on the timing difference of the Caesium atom, this is an atom that science presently uses to count the passage of time of one second.

At altitude the corresponding beats of the Caesium atom are not equal to a Caesium atom on the ground, this was formalised by Albert Einstein in special relativity theory.

However, videos like this, are often misleading and should not be took for fact or good explanation.

The difference in timing, is because there is less gravity at altitude, a difference on the work a Caesium atom does.
    Work in Physics is defined no differently than everyday work, example-like an employee, and the things an employee does is the work.

The Caesium atom beats slower, therefore having a longer life span.

The scientific definition is called time dilation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

At this time, science does not know why this is, but it is by observational experiment.

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Time dilation applies to anything used to measure time - caesium atoms, or heart beats, or grandfather clocks, or the rate at which grass grows. Caesium is just the time standard used to define what we mean by "1 second". Time dilation isn't dependent on how we choose to measure time.

No. The effects of altitude are part of the general theory. The special theory deals with time dilation due to relative speed.

In other words, you have no idea how work is defined in physics. In future, please avoid posting in the Physics forum about things you know nothing about.

Time dilation is well understood. Science does know; you don't.

12. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

I have no idea, work is how I explained in a simple way for none science persons to understand.

example F=ma, and the distance travelled by the kinetic energy is 10m, that is the work done. The force being the employee and doing the task.

I give up, not allowed to have your own ideas, not allowed to engage in conversations, not allowed to explain things to other members in a different style.

Well do not bother banning me, which is next, because like always there is a lynch mob, and the same lynch mob, same people, the trolls.

I will just leave and save you the bother and go back to my other forum I use , that respects people for their individuality and not being a stereotypical robot of wiki.
    More like Turin Bots........

I give a simple answer to the opp, and now you have added all that and left him confused again. I wouldd ask the same question then has the opp, because science makes no sense.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You gave an incorrect answer, and an incorrect answer of the worst kind - the kind that could sound, to the uninitiated, like you might know what you're talking about.

A simple answer is no good to anybody if it's wrong.

If you want to get all huffy about being called out about it, fine. Go back to your preferred forum and sulk.

14. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

That's so nonsensical, I have to believe it is trolling because otherwise it must be the product of insanity. But either way:
    Correct. When you have no idea what you are talking about, you are not allowed to talk about it.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Let me tell you something. A famous quote went like this......
    "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it" or words to that effect.
    The quote is incomplete though. What should have been added was, "but each individual is responsible for what he or she says and the effects it has on others"

Your biggest mistake here was your utter dishonesty in posting so called questions in the science section, just so that you can start to rant on about your unbelievably stupid beliefs.
    Your second biggest mistake here is to then play the "victim" card.
    Your third biggest mistake was claiming all your fairy tales as absolute certainty.
    Your fourth biggest mistake was refusing to accept all logical accepted answers to your diatribe.
    Your fifth biggest mistake was your continued derision of the giants of the present and past as all wrong.

This forum is probably the most open I have seen, and is very moderate in letting any Farsight, constant theorist, and chinglu post whatever ideas they have.
    The downright arrogance, stupidity and dishonesty of your stuff though, has seen in most cases, immediate action against what you have posted.

Perhaps you need to sit back, and ponder your position, and give some honest thought to the totally illogical concepts you have posted.
    Then learn some real science from reputable quarters.

brucep likes this.
  16. river

light is always measured in a vacuum is it ?

17. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Son, you are about as sharp as a bowling ball.

I said,"Light is always measured at c in a vacuum". When light isn't measured in a vacuum the speed will not be c.

18. river

Son , clearity is important , you should know that by now

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Son, the speed of light in any convention is always taken as the speed in a vacuum...that is "c"
    I can understand you not knowing that.

20. river

Son , I do

but its totally unrealistic

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, its an observed fact Son and known by all and sundry without the need for confirmation.
    Live with it [and your dream world]

22. river

so what medium does light propagate on in a vacuum ?

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Light doesn't need a medium such as the ether.....It travels in geodesics and follows the topology of space time. Which btw was measured with GP-B

No more games river. bye.