How did jesus walk on water?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by spidergoat, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

It depends on the surface tension of water against the spacial density of the object. Certain frogs can leap on water because of their webbed feet. This doesn't mean that Jesus didn't do it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So is the custumer base of male prostitutes and drug dealers made up entirely of "holy men"? Is it mostly "holy men"? If not, what does that say about the irreligious mind?

It tells you nothing, that's what. Humans like sex. Some people like to do it with the same sex, some with the opposite. Some with both. This applies to holy men, atheists, democrats, and republicans. Sometimes people, regardless of their religious views or political affiliations, pay others to have sex with them.

Such action does not indicate that their views on religion, taxes, or computer programing are incorrect. It simply means they were horny.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Satyr Banned Banned

It does matter, you freak, when your entire authority and ideals are based on a morality you cannot live up to yourself.
    A hypocrite is someone you preaches what he cannot practice.

If Haggard wants to preach about ‘family values’ and against homosexuality then, at the very least, let him not take it up the ass while he’s doing it.

http://www.tedhaggard.com/

Regular human beings can indulge their sexual desires because they d not pretend to be anything but sexual or what they are.

If Christians want to be taken seriously maybe they should first stop contradicting their own beliefs, concerning love, fidelity, morality and decency.

It’s ironic that this same preacher chastised Dawkins in the documentary for sounding arrogant.
    How can anyone with some degree of reason not sound arrogant when faced with such duplicitous stupidity?

Are these the type of holy men, people like lightgigantic hold as the highest of all authorities or does he rely on the dead who cannot shame themselves and show how feeble they are to be taken as authorities on anything but bullshit and charlatanism.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Perhaps we should switch the focus of this topic to something a tad more scientific...

Is there are any way today that allows one to walk on water with some device or another?

Also, if we still don't like the idea of switching the topic... what are some ideas as to why the people in those times thought Jesus walked on water? What other physical feat did he accomplish for them to percieve or extrapolate it into him walking on water?

(Isn't there a device now that allows people to part water like Moses did?... read it somewhere in Popular Science).

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

In my original post, there is link to a machine installed underwater in a pool, in a church, that allows one to walk on moving platforms so that you appear to walk on water. It's like an escalator, but with sensors on each step.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Certainly the particular guy you're talking about [whoever he is] is a hypocrite. But you made the claim that his actions reveal something about the religious mind in general. That some particular guy can't live up to an ideal does not invalidate the ideal itself.

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Jesus didn't exist, so he didn't have a "philosophy nor life." The NT was written (commissioned) by certain individuals in the Roman Empire as a parody of the life of Caesar, so the Caesars did, in fact, exist as our history books state. However, the whole truth about the Caesars may never be known.

Whether Plato or Socrates existed may be proven by their writings unless disproven that they were written by others as in the case of the bible.

Since Jesus never existed, he never walked on water. That story was written in line with other bible stories that relate to astrotheology. That being the case, Jesus (the Sun) and (the Sun of God) walked on water only as a reflection of the setting sun.

There is nothing mysterious about the "miracles" in the bible. They need to be understood in the context they were written.

11. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

No, not just a metaphor.

What He did was physical, but many things He did either fulfilled previous scripture about Him or laid out types and shadows to be yet fulfilled.

Sometimes you just do a small thing in type to create a larger thing in the anti-type.
    I didn't say that was why He walked on the water, only that it also set a interesting type.

He walked on a Sea.
    A Sea represents in spiritual types....the dead.

Those that represent the entire "body" of Christ, are prophesied to "walk on the ashes of the dead" in the millennium after the battle of Armageddon.

They're not going to listen Ice.....

The walls were wide enough to run chariot races on.
    All evidence of giants is being covered up intentionally by certain societies....

Case in point....the "society of Jesus" is not about the preservation of truth.
    They were about the destruction of it.
    The historical societies aren't about the preservation of history either.
    Just the opposite.
    Religion is a covering.
    Science that's told to the masses, is slanted the same way.
    So.........those that tow a party line are just followers without a clue.

The worlds' a maze.
    Narrow is the way and few there be that find it.
    Just be thankful and say; "there but by the grace of God go I"

12. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: The bible is historically accurate? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! What rock did you crawl out from under? Wake up and smell the truth. The paper the bible is printed on isn't even good enough for shit paper. However, it is somewhat useful for lining bird cages and litter boxes.

13. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

Not only Jesus, but Peter also walked on water.....MATTHEW 14:22-30

That's the power of faith.
    If you believe without doubt, and do the works......all things are possible to those that believe.
    You have to put works with you're faith.
    Faith without works is dead.
    Your works are you're faith expressed.
    That brings it to pass.
    I've seen it.....I've done it.

It's your own faith raised to a level that can catch it.
    Jesus said; "Thy faith has made thee whole"
    It was their faith that healed them....Peter's faith that let him walk on water.
    Get it?
    It's not magic.
    It's more, it's the very power that created the worlds with but a word, right within your grasp.

As for those that call the Bible lining for bird cages......let me think of the appropriate words for them.

"Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird."

Even the unclean spirits recognized the Lord....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Here is a description of what other things may be possible to such persons

and here is how laghima siddhi, or making oneself lighter than the lightest is achieved

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't know, but I bet he would insist that it couldn't be more than 10,000 years old.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I had never heard of that before?

I thought the Julia were relatively broke - that is, up until Gaius made their fortune? Why would someone as important and distinguished as Gaius Julius Caesar give two rat-turds about some Middle Eastern come-up Arab/Jewish Mystery cult plagiarizing the more sophisticated Greco-Roman versions?

I don’t get it,

Michael

17. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

Best to let Medicine Woman give you the info you seek as she seems knowlegeable, but the fact the Roman Empire adopted christianity as it's official religion should tell you something. What better way to control your populations than under a one God belief system, especially a god depicted as a cruel,harsh and judgemental (sure...with a little love and kindness sprinkled in) being who committed almost as many heinous acts as Genghis Khan.

18. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Of course, Roman Catholicism is a far cry from New Testament Christianity, you knew that, didn't you?

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I couldn't disagree more.
    Much of what she posts here is heresay, supposition, jumping to unsupported conclusions and simply made-up fantasy.

20. Gordon Registered Senior Member

Jesus - Walking on Water

The interesting part of this story is that it is not really about Jesus showing that he has wonderfully supernatural powers that no one else could ever have.

If it were, the various accusations of standard hero worship like other religions' stories of supernatural events might at least have some credibility.

But the point of the story (which was slightly alluded to in another post) is that an ordinary person (Peter) could do miraculous things (walk on water) if he was brave enough to get out of the boat in the first place and then to keep his eyes on Jesus. Whether you believe in the supernatural, God or Jesus, this does raise the story to a very different level of philosopical teaching.

This is one of the things that makes the recorded miracles of Jesus generally so different. They are not just 'magic tricks' as described in much ancient religious literature. There is always a much deeper meaning and teaching behind them.

You can believe what you like about the New Testament and its veracity or otherwise but the intertwining of day to day natural events, historical background and places with the moral teaching and the supernatural events (or miracles) makes it something that cannot just be dismissed as the same as other ancient religious writings.

You have to have the greatest admiration for any group of people who nearly 2000 years ago could produce such a clever piece of 'hoax' writing, if that is what you choose to believe.

But of course if you truly believe that only matter/energy exist, you probably have no alternative but to believe that. I would contend that on the basis of probability alone, that that is less likely than the existence of the supernatural. One day of course we shall all find out (personally when we die) or perhaps more accurately if there is a supernatural, we shall all find out, if there is not, none of us will know anything at all.

Regards,

Gordon.

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Excellent point.
    This is why I see much, if not all, of the stories in the Synoptic Gospels as metaphor.

Isn't "supernatural" simply "natural" that we can't yet explain?
    Let's say, for example, it is actually proven that people can communicate via telepathy.
    Telepathy, then, would no longer be considered "supernatural".

It is certainly possible that the things we see as "supernatural", such as ghosts, demons, souls etc. actually ARE real and do have a very tangible, natural explanation that we just have not discovered yet.

"Supernatural" really is a fairly meaningless term, isn't it?
    If we have proof of something's existence, it is natural.
    If we do not, some say it does not exist, some say it is "supernatural".
    Fact of the matter is that it is simply something we have no proof for.

22. VitalOne Banned Banned

Yes exactly, things only appear magical and supernatural with ignorance, however with knowledge they appear ordinary, natural

23. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I think it's a fascinating story. When I was a kid, stories from the Bible stood out more than any scientific theory, but so did Humpty Dumpty I might add.

I think to understand the true nature of the Bible and religious scriptures in general is to understand the time it was written in. What part did story telling have in society without all the aspects of communication we have today? What was the policy on relaying events as they happened? I think Jesus existed, but I think his story was reinvented in the decades after his death. The resurrection was key to gaining followers. Without the supernatural aspects, who would join such a religious sect given the competition there was at the time with upcoming religions and other charasmatic leaders who gained followers?

Regardless of the philosophy that is used and how commendable it may be, the supernatural aspects must be there to encourage people to follow that religion. I think that tells us a lot about our superstitious minds.

How so? I look forward to turning your reasoning around against you.

Yeah, that's the most annoying thing about all of thise... Atheists never get the chance to say "told you so".