How do I become a mod?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Gravenche, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

A real troll...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You already are a mod - you just must not believe it hard enough. You have to will the powers into existence - just remember, there is no spoon

OnlyMe likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore are we?

Dammit, where's Toto? Bad dog.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Be careful there, or he'll fail to ban YOU!

8. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Rut-Ro...

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I was a member for several years before I was appointed as a Moderator.

As you were told, James R. appoints the Moderators, although Plazma might do it if James is unavailable for more than a few days. But James discusses it with the other Moderators before making an appointment.

It's not necessarily true that we all have to like you, but we have to at least be familiar with your attitude and knowledge

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

The best way to become a Mod is to buy a Lambretta or a Vespa with at least 8 rear view mirrors and some chrome detailing. You need to wear a Parka whilst riding it and own a mohair jacket and Levi's 501's for hanging out in the local coffee shop or pub. Your record collection must include everything ever recorded by The Who and at least some Tamla Motown. Walk with a swagger shoulders slightly drooped forward as if it's a bit cold. And there you have it! If you can do all that you'd probably be the most unique Mod on Sciforums. xx

Dywyddyr likes this.
  11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sorry. Something has obviously gone wrong with our system. I think I've fixed it. You should be able to use all the admin functions now.\(^*\)

*joke

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sorry, Gravenche: I must not have been reading my memos. Congratulations! Looking forward to working with you!

Fraggle Rocker
    Linguistics
    Arts & Culture

13. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Hey G! You got a college degree? Forum experience, an a unique sense of humor?
    You been hear over a year you say? Many others have been lingering around here longer and are not mods. Like for instance, Me...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As I understand it, Gravenche's appointment was approved some time ago, but glitches in the website software held it up. As you may know, the administrators switched to a new discussion-forum search engine last year. We still haven't gotten the bugs out of it. If you ask me, as an I.T. professional, it's a piece of crap.

15. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

Interesting discussion.

---Futilitist

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

You should not regard being a mod as some sort of honor. It is a duty to help the site. I reluctantly moderated B&E for a few years then was dismissed, despite keeping B&E clean (Just three days before being dismissed, I had to remove someone's inappropriate comments about some other poster's parents.) I don't know who moderates B&E now, but I was quite active in removing "first post spam" - Averaging more than one / day but not in B&E which is usually not much of a spam target.

BTW Juliette Durham's post in Gen. Science & technology, just now, is a classic case - Has all the characteristic I listed long ago: First post by "person" with two names, never seen before, etc. but I can't delete her post now. With my "rules" I could and did quickly spot most "first post spam" ever time there was one, when I went back to the main sciforums page, looking for new posts.

Many (4 to 6) of these "1st spam post" spam come during the US night time. A mod who lives in Holland, usually killed them before I could, but when he slept late I got them from my base in Brazil. In my best killing interval, just after logged on one AM, I had sent 5 or 6 to their graves in less than 15 minutes, then bumped up "my score" a few more during the day - sometimes removing them in less than 5 minutes of their existence. My spotting rules really worked. One of my rules saved reading the post: Just open the suspected post, glance at the bottom, and if it is a link to site - it is spam - no need to waste time reading it.

I did my duty / paid my dues/ and now have time to be active at physis.org where crap is not allowed but I still post here, as posts of Wellwisher and a few others, give me the opportunity to teach some physics, without appearing to be pedantic. Plus here I can express my concern with AGW and promote the obviously beneficial to all but "big oil" fuel change of switching to sugar cane based alcohol as the fuel for cars needing liquid fuel. Until just a few weeks ago, physics.org would not allow any post on AGW, no matter how well documented its facts were.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015