How do I sterilise a tooth?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Cat_with_no_eyes, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Cat_with_no_eyes Registered Senior Member

I have a molar tooth which I had extracted. It has some blood on it, how do I clean it? SO that I can use it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Steam, boiling water, alcohol, hydrogen pyroxide, iodine...

What do you want to use it for?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Are you saying that you want to keep the tooth as a souvenir? Who does that??? Creepy! Put it under your pillow and hope the Tooth Fairy leaves you a fiver.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The best cleaner we have found, specifically for biological stains, is Nature's Miracle. You have to be really careful with blood because it clots and the clots are very sturdy. It's built to work that way: clotted blood provides an infrastructure for damaged tissues to rebuild.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cat_with_no_eyes Registered Senior Member

Thanks but will boiling water get rid of the germs and prevent future bacteria?

8. Cat_with_no_eyes Registered Senior Member

Gonna do some voodoo with it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It will kill anything on it now. It cannot guarantee it's sterility in the future.

10. Cat_with_no_eyes Registered Senior Member

Would you know what methods I could use to prolong sterility?

11. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Formaldehyde is an organic compound with the formula CH2O. It is the simplest form of aldehyde, hence its systematic name methanal.

A gas at room temperature, formaldehyde is colorless and has a characteristic pungent, irritating odor. It is an important precursor to many other chemical compounds, especially for polymers. In 2005, annual world production of formaldehyde was estimated to be 23 million tonnes (50 billion pounds).[3] Commercial solutions of formaldehyde in water, commonly called formalin, were formerly used as disinfectants and for preservation of biological specimens.

WIKI

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Once you sterilize it, it will be the same as any pebble or object. As soon as it touched any surface, it wouldn't be sterile any more. Like a band-aid that touches skin. You shouldn't have to keep it sterile, it won't rot. But you could keep it in a jar of something if that's your concern.

13. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

Can I have it?

14. glandulahypophisea Registered Member

Sodium hypochlorite is the best way but dont keep your teeth inside it for a long time.You can mix a little amount of sodium hypochlorite with water than keep your teeth inside it for a longer time.

15. finch74 Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012