How do you feel about guns?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lixluke, Jul 31, 2006.

?

Guns

1. Have no place in this world. Should be abolished like slavery.

33 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Are every human's right.

57 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I love guns. I have hunted, fired and appreciated them all my life. The fact that, deep down, I find them to be so cool often makes me thing that I am the last person who should ever own one. Appreciating the coolness factor of a weapon, to me suggests that some part of me is not thinking of it as the potentially deadly tool which it really is.

So, I love guns, but I don't presently own any.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Edgarinventor Registered Member

But that's just it:

It's just about a new kind of repressive Victorians:

The old ones covered tables so a table's leg would not remind people of SEX, new Victorians are the same Guilt-Mongers, only about Violence!

All the better people cannot avoid conflict, if by magic, guns were REALLY useless, they'd have to run away to find another TABU!

I saw a Sci-Fi film once, where a Mad Scientist developed a way to end violence:
    By electric shocks, he turned people into mindless, obeying, non-violent, terrorized, GOOD CITIZENS!

Take the Jewish-loathing away, and most anti-everything Mothers of Prevention sound like Nazis, I wonder WHY!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

?? You think deer hunting is murder??

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. K.FLINT Devil's advocate :D Registered Senior Member

Since the time that humanity learned to kill with bare hands they have endeavored to increase there killing potential. The will to kill animals or other humans has been one of the great drives of humanity to adapt technology. The gun is merely an extension of humanities will to kill.

The gun has been described as the " great equalizer " it seems to be. as long as man is a confrontational species the will to kill will be there, so to then will man seek a better means to do it, whether it be a rock, a sword or a gun.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and so...how do yuo personally feel about guns?

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Until humankind can lose their fear of each other it is going to use any

means that it can to protect itself from each other or eliminate each other.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. K.FLINT Devil's advocate :D Registered Senior Member

My main occupation is that of a fugitive retrieval agent. I use non lethal means at all costs. I have been teaching Martial Arts for 20 years. I think that conflict needs to be resolved, I would like to see it done in a peaceful manner. I understand the need for guns. I sleep with a handgun under my pillow, and have others in strategic places throughout my home. I believe that everyone has the right to defend there self and the lives of there loved ones. I also have and would again take up arms in the service of my country.

So, I am for guns and against unneeded violence.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  11. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

This poll is lacking in options.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What would the Nuge say?

An incident in Washington state suggests that guns are not the best means of self-defense. Curiously, it turns out, if you're at a hunting site and someone threatens you, the best means of self-defense at hand is put a noose around the suspect's neck and drag them behind a truck for thirteen miles.

I could, of course, simply be presuming too much. After all, maybe the hunters didn't have guns with them. Maybe they were bowhunters, or slingshot hunters. Or maybe they were just "regular" campers at a "hunting camp". At any rate:

There are at least a few strange questions yet to be answered here. I would applaud these hunters for not simply shooting the suspect, except I have less sympathy for something calculated like this: after all, if they had time to put a noose around Sturman-Camyn's neck and tie him to a truck, he wasn't exactly an imminent threat at the time the boy sped away.

Oh, well. Either way, it's hunters' justice. And a good hunting trip. After all, if nothing's dead by the end, you've simply wasted your time.

Notes:

Associated Press. "Student at Eastern dragged to death behind pickup". SeattlePI.com. November 25, 2007. See http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/341112_draggingdeath26.html

Associated Press. "Man charged after student dragged 13 miles". MSNBC.com. November 30, 2007. See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22040721/

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007