How does active duty General appointed to cabinet get to keep both jobs?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Oystein, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Oystein Registered Senior Member

How does active-duty Lt. Gen McMaster get to keep his (well paying) military job and also work for Trump as his NSA? Is he doing volunteer work for Trump? I doubt it. Even congressmen and governors have to give up their jobs when appointed to cabinet positions.

McMaster, an O-9, makes more than $200K per year with a myriad of benefits.

The cabinet post probably pays about the same: around $200K per year. Also with a myriad of benefits.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I don't think he is double dipping if that is what you are getting at. The advantage of appointing an active duty military person to the job is that he cannot refuse the job as Trump's other choices for the job have done.

This isn't a cabinet level position. It's a senior adviser position. Trump can appoint anyone he wishes. The job isn't subject to Senate confirmation as cabinet level positions are.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oystein Registered Senior Member

How is he not double dipping? And how can he remain on active duty? Was his active duty job so easy that he can devote all his time to advising the President?

When I was in the service as an enlisted man, I couldn't decide one day to work full-time for a different boss . . . .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

His active duty job is now serving in the post of national security director. What's so difficult about that? He doesn't have two jobs. He has one job.

Yes. You were assigned your job by the Pentagon as was I. You got orders. Well, the same is true here. Lt. Gen McMaster will get orders from the Pentagon to serve as the national security director and he will be relieved of his current responsibilities.

I'm no fan of The Donald. There are plenty of things to be angry about with respect to this administration. But this isn't one of them.