How does God exist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Mind Over Matter, Jan 3, 2012.

1. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Sure you can. And it's also the reason you can't prove or disprove god.

I could say God is what you think it is. In some cases it could be a walrus or if your a physicist a cat. So in this case I am abstractly thinking only of the abstract basics of your thought as god. Most words work the same way. They are true to you as long as you understand their purpose to the authors intent.

In fact most people give vague abstractions for the concept of god. Like omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresent. In this light I could point out a rock; say it is god; and would be more correct than someone who believes a conscious "supernatural" deity guides their every move.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Welcome back. (Perhaps a few days belated in expressing that, if memory of the "list" serves me right).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kx000 Valued Senior Member

We can not know for certain that God exist.
    If God exist, he came into being with the though of self. God would have existed before anything. He gave time meaning. He is what I like to call the original consciousness of the universe.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

To the question (notwithstanding enmos' headbanging) of

How does the Trinity exist?

...same as how all other myths exist:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-Dictionary of the Deities and Demons of the Bible, p. 122

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If he does exist, you still don't know how he came into being. He could be the product of billions of years of evolution from a previous universe.

9. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Does it matter in the context of this discussion? According to claims about bigfoot if it's not even mammalian it is at least a vertebrate.

We can abstractly recognize it solely by some of an entity's attributes such as infiniteness, omnipotence, omniscience, unphysicalness (not in space-time).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You can recognize something by it's unphysicalness (non-existence)?

11. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Yet that's not what I wrote in parentheses.

12. wellwisher Banned Banned

God is found within, not on the outside. The outside special effects were old school. After the New Testament the outer man was decaying and the inner man was coming to be.

Let me give a loose analogy. If I told you I had a dream and you wanted proof that dreams actually exists, would you use a microscope to find a dream? Or would you go to sleep so you can witness dreams from within?

Science needs to look in the correct place or else you won't be able to find it. I would not look for icebergs at the equator, and then after not finding any, conclude they don't exist. That would show lack of common sense even if it sells.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But nothing non-physical exists.

14. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

If it exists it's not nothing of the definition:

absence of everything and anything.​

Or so one speculates.

15. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I can clearly hear him in my head, he was created through the self-relezation of self and other.

16. wlminex Banned Banned

Wellwisher: "Let me give a loose analogy. If I told you I had a dream and you wanted proof that dreams actually exists, would you use a microscope to find a dream? Or would you go to sleep so you can witness dreams from within?"

Excellent analogy!! . . . now . . . Do atheists dream?? (Just making a point to them here) . . . also . . how de we apply the scientific method to dreams?

wlminex

17. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Wlminex, if your goal is to speak with God you must find faith.

18. Rav Valued Senior Member

If one insists that the 'unphysical' is a state that actually exists, then what one is really describing is a physical state, because they're saying that it's 'there'. In other words, anything that is not absolute nothingness must have some kind of substance or property. This is clearly necessarily true when one is also suggesting that such a state is causally linked to phenomena that are obviously physical, such as the very fabric of the universe itself, as we know it.

Even if God is nothing more than an idea that exists in the mind, it's still a physical phenomena. Since the mind is what the brain does (among other things), and the brain is physical, God would be an emergent property of physicality. This is highly relevant since the apparently 'unphysical' dimension of consciousness is probably what is most responsible for the positing of unphysical ideas in the first place. In other words, we know for a fact that God does indeed exist in a seemingly unphysical dimension, but elevating the concept to a higher ontological status than that dimension itself is no more justifiable than doing the same thing with Santa Claus.

In a nutshell, God is physical, whether it's merely imagined or not, by virtue of a comparison with absolute nothingness.

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Humans ordinarily are not able to recognize attributes such as infiniteness, omnipotence, omniscience.
    Their abilities are ordinarily too limited.

20. jonyson Registered Member

i am agree with you.....................

21. Hertz Hz Registered Senior Member

God exists because there was nothing forever. For example if we look at the following computer program that measures changes in time and space:

Code:

a$=time
    b$=time

c=0

while (b$=a$)

b$=time

c=c+1

wend

print c

The length of a second 'remains constant', but as you will discover upon running the program, C changes from second to second because time is actually a variable: should time be running slower the changes in space (c) will be slower; should time be running faster the changes in space (c) will be faster. So, c varies from second to second.

If we were without time in the beginning, the above program shows how because a$=b$, one is produced. The one is created...from NOTHING. The one must also conclude this since it's (eternal) travel back in time: it goes on forever. That's a very long time to wait. There must be caution exercised when making such a journey!

22. hansda Valued Senior Member

How do we exist ?

23. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

That's exactly what's key here when humans absolutely can't recognize the attributes and absolutely can't associate such attributes to anything that exists or can exist even hypothetically in the fabric of space-time they know they're 'heading' in the right direction.