How far have those in the Abrahamic religions investigated their religious actions

Discussion in 'Religion' started by river, Aug 28, 2013.

1. river

Not deep enough to me

They are for the most part , ignorant of the atrocities that Abrahamic religions have done at their own hands

Or they know but chose to ignore them

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I was raised in the Catholic faith, and I've been well aware of the atrocities caused by 'the Church.' Since then, I've migrated away from organized religion.

But, I don't broad brush an entire belief system, based on the actions of immoral men. People do things in 'the name' of religion everyday. Good and bad. Faith isn't a loaded gun. The individual still has to make decisions, and take responsiblity for his/her own actions. ALL OF THAT SAID, there are uncomfortable truths in all faiths, of people who have chosen to view their faith as an excuse for bad behaviors. When I see people today justify bigotry, discrimination, prejudice, etc...in the name of their 'faith,' it's deeply disturbing. Just like it is deeply disturbing to you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Most of the christians I've known in my life, were/are Catholic--and they were all aware of the sordid history of the Church. I'm sure there are many who are clueless, selectively or not...but there are many who are well aware of the history. It's not entirely why I left the Church, but I will admit, I couldn't accept following a 'religion,' that bullied and murdered people in order to control their place in the world, once upon a time.

I'll say this, not everyone 'investigates' what it is that they believe, sadly. But, I don't judge them. Many people just go through the motions of their respective faiths, without much thought to what they're following. Some are caught up in legalism. Some do investigate. It's really a mixed bag.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why not broad brush a belief system that's proud of it's atrocities? And calls those who implemented these acts the epitome of moral teachers? The individual does make the decision to join the religion or not, but this does not absolve the religion from calling for immoral things.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Who's proud of it? Think a better word is ignorance, for many.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The Bible is proud of those willing to commit genocide and infanticide. And every Christian church is proud of these people.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I understand what you mean. But understand this...many people follow religion in ignorance. Some unaware, but some are honestly afraid to explore the realities of the religions they follow. Over the years, I've come to view the bible very differently than I did say, ten years ago. But, a decade ago I might have defended the bible to you, and thought you were speaking crazy talk.

Have hope that people will be enlightened instead of thinking it's out of malice.
    When religion becomes a habit, said person is destined to live a life not of their own choosing.

Not everyone is like you. Some of us take time to figure stuff out.

10. arauca Banned Banned

I am a church and I am not proud of any atrocity And I will tell Christian , Jew or Muslim if they commit atrocity they are wrong , I don't believe God the creator wants that we harm any other . Yes there are a lot of bastards who use the name of God to do their own thing.