How Important is Dying?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Congrats, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

I'm thinking that what I view as an atheist as the inevitaility of death is overrated...Dying, in a social sense, could be a part of our existence, not as a death, nor a turning point, but rather more of a non-happening. Must we have one part-life- and the next part-eternity-with the latter, unseen world dominating our priorities- in many circes- with preparation?

I think death is not much more than a step- perhaps you die, and then keep on living, only dead? Does it strike you as 'overdoing it' when we place the brunt of our renewal and redemption on the end of our existence?

Could we be problematic in eternity, and still not have enough time to work things out before something larger happens? If it all ends in a ceasing of existence, who's to say we couldn't end up depressed?

Those of you have read Will Self's How The Dead Live would get what I'm hinting at.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

Hmm...

Scientists have discovered the thingy in our DNA that makes us die. It's a neccesary thing. I mean, we already have overpopulated the earth. Just imagine what would happen if you took the current population and added all the people in history who died of old age?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Additionally, evolution would have a hell of a messed up time. Not only would you have all the older versions kicking around, but the males would still be able to mate! Gods above! Just imagine what that would do!

Stay cool,
    Lesion42

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Good point- dying is in our DNA...if it has a practical purpose, why must it be so feared? Consider dying just one function of your life- it renders your body useless, but 'life' cannot simply end with a major function-it has to have a reciprocating function, on another plane if need be.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

You might want to take a look at "ANSWER ME" thread in "INTELLIGENCE AND MACHINES" forum for some good opinion...

bye!

8. Ender Registered Senior Member

As in the movie... oh I forget the name... anways the guy says that deth and sickness aren't really that depressing. It only is because socity says it is. So you never get to see that person again, well o.k. its sorta depressing, but for an athiest its not so bad because thier atoms desperce and they are phisicaly all around you.

However in religons people think that they are gone and never comming back.

Also I think tht dying is nothing because you won't know when you are dead, you never knew it happened, you never knew what it felt like, and you won't care if you die, YOUR BRAIN HAS STOPPED ALL FUNCTIONS

Dying ins't going to be that bad. Just live your life to the fullest and know that you only get one chance at this so make everyday worth living!

9. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

i like that

thats what i do.

10. spookz Banned Banned

is immortality a bad thing?perhaps the right tweak in our dna might make this a reality.perhaps an intergration of machine and flesh?

the definition of death is, for the most part a clinical death;the body has ceased all vital functions.
    however there is large body of literature that indicates the existence of a soul/spirit that inhabits a body that continues its existence after clinical death

it is easy to say "death is the end" and much harder to say "we move on to another state of being" as that involves much speculation and thought(a loss of control?)

11. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Got any good online links you'd care to give?