How is faith in God attained?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by nds1, Feb 22, 2007.

1. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

If the Lochness Monster told you there is a God, would you believe it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nds1 Registered Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Good one. :bravo:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Adstar, do you believe that Global Warming is being caused by humans?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Satyr Banned Banned

Only if I could find a passage in the Bible that could be interpreted as if it were refering to the Lochness Monster.

Everyhting I read in Books, especially that Book, I believe.
    Why?
    Mommy told me so and all my friends believe the same thing.

Here's how faith in God is attained:

The "correct" Epistemology, as it is taught by the "right" authorities, is aplied.

8. nds1 Registered Senior Member

LOL. Brilliant. Yeah, Jesus and his apostles were the wealthiest people of their time. So was John the Baptist. I mean, how else could they have gained all those followers, right?

9. nds1 Registered Senior Member

This is the exact way that Christianity and Islam spread to take over more than half of the world. Of course .0001% of those people actually give two shits about practicing their religion.

10. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

They had their jobs to do, and the Gospel now is successfully propagated and proponed through the use of money.

The Bible says "the love of money is the root of evil," it does not say "money is the root of all evil."

11. nds1 Registered Senior Member

How convenient is that for the Catholic Church? They simply tell everyone not to love money and to give it all to them, and all is well. No wonder why they didn't edit that verse out early on when they were "compiling" the bible.

12. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

It sure is!
    It works for Benny Hinn, Jack Van Impe, Billy Graham,T.D Jakes,Jimmy Swaggert,Pat Francis,etc, etc,etc.

From the website: washedbytheword.com ( put the word "brain" in front of that and it says it all)

Would you consider donating to this ministry? We greatly appreciate
    any support and all funds donated will be used to further advance the
    preaching of the Gospel to a lost and dying world.

Click here to make a donation.

Well,they forgot to mention all those nice cars,marble mansions,private jets,etc, that it all buys,but hey...what the heck,eh?

Keep those bucks rolling in!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I agree that any of those who live ostentatiously are unwise in that regard.

14. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

I realize a lot of christians also have a problem with it.I'm glad they do!

I wish just once...some of those tv preachers would add after a donation plea:
    "And please, if you are a person on limited income, a poor pensioner or whatever your situation,..take care of your own immediate needs before you donate"
    But..I have never heard ,even once,any of them say that!

15. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I guess the question is, how many of those poor people who gave ended up regreting that they did so? I dare say a very few.

16. nds1 Registered Senior Member

How many of those "preachers" who collected ended up regretting that they did so? I dare say a very few.

17. Adstar Valued Senior Member

You must believe that Jesus obtained eternity with God for you.

If you reject that fact then you will burn forever.

The closer a religion is to the truth the more concerned about it i am. Religions that are closer to the truth without being the truth are a greater threat to those seeking the truth than religions that are far away from the truth. So therefore i do not concern myself much with religions like buddisim, shintoisim and hunduisim. The religions that profess belief in the God of Abraham concern me more and those that profess that Jesus is the Messiah concern me most.

One either believes that it is possible for a bungi Cord to break when they leap of a building or they don't. Once can still believe that there is a very low possibility that it will break but we are not talking about that belief. We are talking about the belief or otherwise that a bungi cord can break.

If one has knowledge then they can know 100% for sure a bungi cord can break. While at the same time taking the jump because they believe that the possibility of the bungi cord breaking when they jump will be extremely low as to make the risk acceptable for the thrill gain obtained by jumping of the building.

So the stance that i have is still right. One either believes that Jesus has atoned for their sins or one does not believe. There is only one more position relating to this and that position is undecided. being undecided is not having 50% belief and 50% unbelief. It is a state of non-commitment.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

If that is what they teach nds1 then you really are in a weird church.

All saved people will have eternity in the Kingdom of God.

The Kingdom of Jesus is also the kingdom of God. And it sometimes refers to the kingdom that Jesus will rule for 1000 years on earth.

The kingdom of God also refers to the spiritual kingdom of God being built up since the time of Pentecost. All true believers are members of a Kingdom of God in existence and will be part of the Kingdom of Jesus in the millennium and also have part in the eternal Kingdom of God.

So the Kingdom has existed does exist and will exist forever more. It's only that the form of the Kingdom transforms.

No way. You cannot make yourself believe anything. You can say you believe something because you believe that saying that will save you from harm but deep down you still will not accept it.

That would be an interesting test. But i know of studies that show that people can be trained to control their responses to a lie detector to defeat the detector and pass the test.

I believe modern human activity is one of the main factors contributing to the warming. But i believe there may be other factors also influencing things. I have read that the last 100 years has also been one of the most quiet periods in vulcanism in recorded history. Maybe the lack of volcano dust in the atmosphere is having an effect?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  18. nds1 Registered Senior Member

First off Adstar, I want to thank you for answering my questions thoroughly and taking the time to answer them.

About the "levels of belief" thing I still think there are levels of belief.

When David kills that beautiful women's husband so he could sleep with her and then steal her as his wife, did his faith just suddenly dissapear for that month of time in which all of that took place? If his faith was still strong, wouldn't he have rethought his decision to murder her husband? How could he not understand how big of a sin that was while he was commiting it? To me, his faith level dropped to about 10% during that span. Otherwise, he wouldn't have commited such a horrific sin and breaking 7 out of ten of the commandments in the process.

What about something like Global Warming? Do I believe that Global Warming is man made? No, I do not. I can tell you that I have a 90% belief that Global Warming IS NOT caused by man. Therefore I will not change my lifestyle at all and will not conserve energy (just like Al Gore).

People like Al Gore say that they "believe" that Global Warming is man made. Then he doesn't change his lifestyle at all. So I believe Gore partially or "kind of" believes it, but not enough to change his lifestyle.

I think what you are saying, Adstar, is that if someone thinks there is an 85% chance that Jesus atoned everyone for their sins and existed, then that person DOES NOT believe in Jesus because the belief is not 100%. Basically I think you believe that someone either has faith or doesn't have faith, no in between.

I on the other hand think that people can have measures of faith, or levels of faith. A faith can be either strong or weak.

Rom 12:3-4
    3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.

1 Tim 1:5
    5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

2 Thess 1:3
    3 We ought always to thank God for you, brothers, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love every one of you has for each other is increasing.

1 Thess 3:10
    10 Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you again and supply what is lacking in your faith.

Col 2:4-5
    5 For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.

2 Cor 10:15-16
    Our hope is that, as your faith continues to grow, our area of activity among you will greatly expand, so that we can preach the gospel in the regions beyond you.

Rom 12:6-7
    6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith.

Rom 14:1-3
    14:1 Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2 One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

19. nds1 Registered Senior Member

That is what they teach, and yes they are weird.

20. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

So being a vegetarian is a sign of weak faith???

21. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Well first off David did not have the man killed because he wanted to sleep with his wife. David had the man killed because he wanted to hide the fact that he had slept with the mans wife, she had become pregnant by David while her husband was away fighting a war.

David sinned but still believed in God. All people who believe God sin. That’s not caused by a lack of faith as much as the sin nature of man. David got caught up in this sin track like a gambler gets caught up in loosing streak. He kept on doubling his sin in order to cover the sin he did before. David’s was full of lust for Bathsheba and He committed adultery with her. It could have ended there but Bethsheba became pregnant. That could probably be hidden but David could not arrange for her husband to sleep with her soon enough to make him think that he was the father of the child. So David had the man killed to cover all His former sins, Of course his sin was revealed by the prophet Nathan. That why we can read it in the bible. Yeah the same book people say was created to serve kings interest. Kings like David

Well conserving energy makes good economic sense. spending less on energy saves one money to spend on other things. efficient use of energy is a good thing irrespective of what you think causes global warming.

:bugeye: nds1 let me give you some information al gore is a politician.... from reading your posts you seem like a very intelligent person but you should try not to be so naive. al gore could not give a brass razzo for the environment or for what his speech writers give him to say. He is a person gifted in saying things that people want to hear (or more precisely a power enabling percentage of people want to hear) If he thought that he could get a power base out of the paedophile portion of the population he would be making an advocating movie about the wholesomeness of incest. What is it about the american culture that has made americans look upon their politicians as god life figures on earth???? You know most catholics do not look upon the pope with the same worshiping mentality as american look upon their politicians. When are the american people going to wake up and see politicians as the corrupt slimy scumbags they are?

Sorry for the language. looks like you have pressed one of my Buttons

Ok we will agree to disagree and we will all find out in the end. So be it.

all Praise The Ancient Of Days

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Wow I had to comment that the Al Gore attack was somewhat unwarranted Adstar. Gore strikes me as one of the more concerned politicians, if somewhat naive to political deceptions.

23. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Yup. According to the bible, lightgigantic's faith is very weak.