How long would your household food supply last?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by parmalee, May 24, 2019.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

some addictive process link directly to core drivers.
    all be those psychological behavioural. the accompanying drug processes caused by emotional states is as real as a line of coke but society's addictions demand such addictions be denied so as to be labelled ordinary and normal.

there is some pretty heavy stuff i could get into(regarding addiction concepts and drivers and self actualization), but it is not really public reading.
    9 out of 10 people will use any psychological manipulation to exploit others to make money.
    that is the American way of capitalism and a core aspect of normative human greed layered on survival instinct programming and social behavior dysfunctions.

addiction is just a natural part of life.
    learning to control it and work with it is the difference between a great artist and a consumer lemming

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Big agra--and big pharma--have pretty effectively distorted our ideas about what we ought to be putting into our bodies for more than half a century now. All their bs about food pyramids, dairy being the only viable source for calcium, pork being "the other white meat" ... Their lies could (and do) fill volumes. Funnily, most of the nonsense is easily discredited (eg. there's an abundance of research on bioavailability of calcium from different sources), and yet they've made their way into health education programs in the classrooms, etc.

There will come a day when heirloom seeds are worth their weight in gold.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

the psychopath narcissist serial killer says it is innocent because it did not put the food into the peoples mouths or personally plant the seeds.

yet it is ok to change morals on abortions and death penalty, and torture of suspects in police custody.

they seem to have such a mixed messages.
    in the land of mass shootings and 175 oxy deaths per day

how does a "consumer culture" define moral authority ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Collective culpability is a wholly alien notion in the U.S. We erect statues for Robert E. Lee, but will never make any sort of formal acknowledgement for indigenous genocides.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

We atempt to maintain 12 pounds of various dried beans... 15 pounds of frozen blue an raspberries... 12 qts of greek yogurt... 6 pounds of powdered milk... 6 pounds of nuts... 10 pounds of steel cut oats... 1 pound of quinoa... 6 pounds of fresh fruit... 9 pounds of cookin oil... so that alone woud feed us for a while... but we still average goin food shoppin 2 times a week... an we dont stock these amounts for emergency... its just for convenience an so we dont run out in case our stores are out of stock of any of these particular items... if ther was an emergency we coud be in big trouble cause we woud be out of water perty quick if the water company supply was to stop.!!!

9. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Without doing the math, I can comfortably say that that would last you quite a long time.

---

Anyways, I've got strong opinions on matters of food security, food waste, obesity, etc., and I honestly could not care less if I come across sounding like a self-righteous prick on these matters, because:

Americans have a lot of stuff. Period. Way more shit than just about an other peoples on the planet.

They also produce an awful lot of waste, and food waste in particular--Americans waste more than 300 million pounds of food, every day--more than a pound per person <<<

And they are the fattest people on the planet.

And there is far more cruelty and barbarism involved in the production of "food" for Americans, than in any other prosperous, "developed" nation. ("Funnily," less than half a percent of Americans are vegetarian; yet ~60 percent of Americans believe that slaughterhouses should be illegal--WTF?!)

Not to mention, animal agriculture is one of the primary driving factors behind climate change.

How do these factors result in people running out of food in three days?

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

That's fixable. One of the things we got for the greenhouse is a huge water tank. Cheap - discarded by a vinegar factory. All it's doing now is storing sunlight heat, but we could use the water for washing and plants if we had to. We have a great well for drinking, but in the previous house the water tasted lousy, so we bought some 5gal bottles with the little hand pumps. Always keep one filled with pretty fresh water, in case the pump breaks down.

11. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

yes
    there is a lot of self actualisation built into the ego to self normalise habituated compliance to to existing process.
    the loud teenage mind developmentally stuck in the adult says
    "i should not have to care about anyone else so stop making me feel emotions"

it is a developmental psychosis reinforced by many culture aspects to deliver personal gain.
    you could term it an addiction(i do)
    an addiction to a conformity of non compliance via transference of emotional co-existance

it is seated in self actualization(which im not going to get into) it is a very current psychological issue of the current state of human psychological development.

12. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

"yes" i understand what you mean.
    no i dont think you are a...
    but again "yes" it is easy to think of those who may interpret your ideas and opinions in such a way.
    such thinking is fairly common in varying forms.
    more soo when it comes to people needing to make life habit changes to effect positive change.

different cultures have different brainwashing/programming/cultural parenting social conditioning towards "criticism"
    some cultures it is normal to intellectually degrade yourself to the rich and powerful because they are tyrant psychopaths or narcissists ... in varying enabled ways
    their surrounding back stabber culture usually are the more blood lusting.

tyrants surround themselves with idiots because they cant stand people who are smarter than them.(not always true but more soo a metaphor of common human types)

13. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Nope. I only buy what I prefer.

I think community preparedness is preferable to individual preparedness.

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Both would be even better.
    So, what have you been contributing to the community that's expected to take care of you in n emergency?

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

As a kid we always ate leftovers an my wife an i have always done the same... so when its time for dinner or supper we build a meal around any leftovers or what ever fresh foods that need to be eaten befor they spoil... often makes for some interestin combinations... love it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ehh... often its how you’r programed as a kid… an we was raised on food cooked at home… very little junk type food an always ate leftovers an my wife an i have always done the same... the only time we eat any junky food is when at sombody elses house or on a road trip… an at home when its time for dinner or supper we build a meal around any leftovers or what ever fresh foods that need to be eaten befor they spoil... often makes for some interestin combinations.!!!

Out little joke after some meals is… “just thank… nobody in the world has ever had the combination of food that we just had”... love it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ive often thout about it… but now its on my list to buy a few gallons of “bottled” water.!!!

16. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Sure.
    Taxes.

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

They're fairly expensive now, and you have to look hard for a distributor.
    Fortunately, more nurseries are realizing this, and there are new small, independent nurseries starting up all the time, going the organic, open-pollinated and self-regenerating route. There is also a network of plant preservation societies and institutions, that collect, dehydrate and store seeds of endangered species for the very long term.

18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

How effective do you think that is?
    Depends partly on where you live, of course, and whether your Fearless Leader is a fathead who squanders your contribution on nukes and cages.

19. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I'm Canadian, so no nukes, some cages and few foreign wars. We may be replacing our Fearless Leader with a fatter head this fall - the fatter the head, the more they promise to reduce taxes.

20. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Except our invaluable and heroic contribution to the death-toll in Afghanistan...
    But not for you and me! And guess where the reductions come from! Hint - not battleships and oil subsidies.

21. candy Valued Senior Member

You should consider a smart tv.

22. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

there is an 87% to 94 % chance they have one already

though "smart" is a sales con word rather than a technical specification.

23. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

That's just it, though. Obese children with diabetes is pretty damn depressing. And in the overwhelming majority of cases, it is entirely preventable--and easily preventable. Parents teach kids all kinds of abominable crap, but giving your kid an incurable disease and setting them up for a lifetime of serious health complications seems like abuse to me. Or serious neglect, at the very least.

But, yeah, my mother also cooked regularly and we seldom had junk food and never went to restaurants. But she became very ill by the time I was around 10 or 11, and often didn't eat or was too tired; consequently, I was pretty much preparing all of my own meals by that point.

From the Artisola "State of Home Cooking Survey":
    http://dailydodge.com/only-27-percent-of-americans-cook-every-day-survey-says/ <<<
    (Can't find the survey proper, and likely not the most accurate survey, but...)

We live nearly an hour away from any restaurant I'd even consider, so pretty much never eat out. But even when traveling or when I lived in cities, I mostly prepare(d) my own food, so that's ^^^ just weird to me. Unless you're spending a fair chunk of cash, most restaurant or prepared foods are just... kinda depressing.