How many of the 7 deadly sins does God do and is that ok with Christians?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Nov 29, 2013.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I guess this only becomes problematic when such expectations have an illegitimate basis

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I am not demanding it as a standard.

I am working very hard to see why your approach, and the approach of your religion, is the superior one.

But I just can't see it.

And maybe, as you would probably say, I am just too retarded, too dumb, too female, too white, too European, too karmi to see the superiority of it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Theists make sky-high claims.
    This entitles non-theists to sky-high expectations of theists.

Unless, of course, we are again to propose that fideism and conversion by force are the superior approaches.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

But you are.
    You are talking about ideal student teacher relationships where the only criteria one needs to look at is the teacher ...

I am saying your standard is unrealistic since not even you are obedient to it

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Nonsense. It looks like you don't even comprehend the kind of credit I am giving you.

I am willing to believe that that which tastes sour like vinegar to me, is, in fact, sweet - and this entirely because you say so.

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Actually they make claims backed up by scripture ... which also, as it happens, deals with issues one can expect from theists.

You, however, find it convenient to ignore these and instead discredit them for displaying behavior that is the natural consequence of having any idea (which also explains, why you, in your expression of ideas you favor, inevitable kick and piss on everyone in the same manner that you charge as being an automatic disqualification in spiritual life)

:shrug:

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Again:

Nonsense. It looks like you don't even comprehend the kind of credit I am giving you.

I am willing to believe that that which tastes sour like vinegar to me, is, in fact, sweet - and this entirely because you say so.

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Yeahhhh ... hold theists to the standards of their own scriptures, and they turn into erupting volcanoes of anger and bitterness ...

One, The simple fact of the matter is that I and theists can read the same scriptures, in the same translation (scriptures, not commentaries), and come to different conclusions.

Since theists, by power of being theists, are de facto to be considered more correct in their understanding than I, a non-thest, this opens up a number of questions for me.
    Apparently, from the perspective of many theists, I should dismiss my every understanding, my every perception as wrong and worthelss - on account that I am not a theist. How do I do that, and why ...

Two, In an interreligious setting that includes theists of various denominations as well as non-theists, theistic scriptures do not have the same authoritative position as they do in monoreligious, monocultural settings.

Somehow, theists of various denominations tend to prefer to gloss over this problem, and simply heap it on the shoulders of non-theists.

Is it really impossible for you, a theist, to even just try to place yourself into the shoes of a non-theist and look at things from that perspective? To get an idea of what it is like to have numerous people claiming to know The Truth About God, while each one of them is claiming something else, and for the most part, they are at eachother's throats?

Explaining historical and geographical diversity in religion is one thing, and theists generally do this.
    But understanding the position of a non-theist in a modern multicultural setting where different theisms are competing for supremacy is quite a different matter. To this day, I have not seen a single theist acknowledge the problems that a non-theist faces when attempting to approach theism.

Why the strawman?

Are you really that full of anger and contempt that they cloud your reasoning skills? Or are you trying to make some point with all this strawmaning?

I rarely express ideas I favor, and I rarely juxtapose my views with those of others. What I do is that I usually challenge people who claim some kind of superior position. In that, my approach is a meta- approach, somewhat similar to that of the Prasangika. Someone claims something, and I look for ways in which it is false. For this, I peruse numerous sources of statements, from scriptures to modern scientific works. Some people take issue with that. It is my hypothesis that if someone's position truly is superior, this will manifest in them defeating whatever counterargument I can provide and in me desiring to take refuge in them.