How many wives does Jesus allow?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Part one.

How many wives does Jesus allow?

One or many?

The O.T. that Jesus often quoted allows many wives.

The N. T does not speak against polygamy from what I can see but does promote slavery and tradition says that that would be sex out of marriage. Unless you see Christian slave owners acting differently than the usual slave owner.

How many wives does you particular branch of Christianity or Catholicism and Jesus allow?

Muslims also have a great respect for Jesus and they allow many wives. Should they?

I know that most will say one wife is the ideal. That does not explain why scriptures support the notion of more than one, --- so I would like to hear your opinion as to ----- why not many wives?

If women are to be equal, should they be allowed as many husbands as the men are allowed in wives?

Just so you know, I have only the one wife and do not think I would want more than one,--- but in the Muslin sense, --- would partially accept one, as a duty to her and the tribe, so to speak, --- and would not likely have a real husband type of relation (sexual), with her.

----------------------------------------

Part two.

Along with marriage often time comes divorce.

Jesus basically had a no divorce policy. Let no man put asunder.

Even as he acknowledged that Moses had changed the law thanks to the hard hearts of men.

I see that as an anti-love policy and since more than 60% of Christians divorce, most Christians seem to agree.

Do you?

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

One, if he ever gets married.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The vows state that you cannot take another. "'Till death do you part"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

In the Abraham story, God allows fornication or extra marital sex to give Abraham a child. I prefer to think he offered a second wife as she and Abraham became as one also and she provided a son.

Do you see that as fornication or a second wife?

Does the fact that King David and others had many wives and God was not upset by that fact not indicate that he condones many wives?

Also, your good experience aside, on the issue of divorce, if a man or woman is beat twice a week by an uncivilized or out of control mate, would you advise to stay married when no reconciliation is possible?

Would you advise those to not seek a loving relationship and advise that they live in misery for the rest of their lives?

Regards
    DL

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Too many, apparently.

8. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Not for Christianity.

[video=youtube;OFkeKKszXTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw[/video]

Regards
    DL

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Fornication in legal language means sex between two people who are not married; this is a nearly obsolete word so in layman's language it is more often called premarital sex. If either or both of them are married, but not to each other, it's called adultery, or in layman's language extramarital sex.

Divorce is common in the Western countries and many people will marry more than once in their life. As far as I know, there is no precise term for sex between marriages.

10. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Allow some latitude.
    I am French. To me, it is all l'amour.

Frenchmen never screw, fuck or just have sex.
    We only make passionate love.

Regards
    DL

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

12. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I think having many wives was a part of the culture at that time. I have read where Abraham married his half-sister Sarah, an Egyptian princess. Many wives were accepted in Egyptian culture. Abraham was said to have had built for them. Abraham was said to have taken other wives after Sarah and Hagar. My personal thought, however, questions the actual existence of Abraham and all his related stories and personages (but that is just me). I believe Abraham is a symbol that refers to the Constellation of Aries (the Ram, the Lamb of God, and Brahman). The Constellation of Taurus, for example, represents a bull, a symbol of the golden calf story, and the myth of Mithram, and so on.

Moses had many names and took many wives. He had a roving eye for his own daughter(s) and the daughters of others. I have read (Ahmed Osman), that Moses also had a sexual relationship with his brother Aaron (more properly known as Semenkhare, Pharaoh of the Eighteenth Dynasty). They seemed to have kept it in the family.

Even in early American colonial history, the men wouldn't have been able to survive without a wife. When the early pioneers lost their wife (she probably worked herself to death), he would take another wife immediately. Love had nothing to do with it. It was for survival. Wives and children were nothing more than property.

Personally, I believe in polygamy. I wouldn't mind having a few sister wives to do all the work around here.

13. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I hope this last in in jest.

If not then it seems that love is not what motivates you.
    A shame that.

If my wife said such, and would consider putting me in the position of having a second wife as a maid without love binding us all, then she would be quickly divorced for her shallowness and I would find a more worthy life mate.

Regards
    DL

14. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

That is why I do not.

Regards
    DL

15. Lakon Valued Senior Member

The Old Testament can be a strange place when viewed through the lense of our present day reality. If you were to go back even 300 - 400 years from today, historians and psychologists say you would deem the prevailing mentality to be somewhat psychotic.

How vastly more different then, would the reality of 3,000 - 4,000 ago (Old Testament) be ?

And how will the folk of 300 - 400 years hence, or 3,000 - 4,000 hence, view our little day ?

PS - I think polygamy has it's virtues. I wouldn't mind a couple more wifeys 'round the place.

16. arauca Banned Banned

17. Lakon Valued Senior Member

No, I'd alternate their house duties to make sure they were experienced in all.

I'm talkin' more from, the umm, 'in bed' scenario.

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Wow. :facepalm:

19. Lakon Valued Senior Member

You got it in one, girlie

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It's the modern idea that is psychotic - and highly abusive -, given that nowadays, one wife is supposed to accomplish what was previously accomplished by two or more.

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Why not have a hundred?
    One for changing the vacuum cleaner bags, one for walking the dog, etc.

22. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Though he liked a good party and never turned down a wedding invitation, Jesus wasn't interested in marriage; he had a nice little monastic community.

He advised people to stop fretting about the stuff they own, care for the less fortunate, talk their problems over with God and quit throwing rocks at each other.
    Most Christians today can't manage any of that.

23. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Beautiful post Jeeves.