How much is gas where you are?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by diane, May 6, 2011.

1. diane Banned Banned

It was $4.99 in Idyllwild, CA, when I was there for Easter vacation. Why is no one screaming at Obama like they did at Bush when it rose under him?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Over $8.40/ gallon. Stop whining.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. diane Banned Banned

8. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

hahaha i pay more for my deisel than you... so dont worry!!!

i am not sure how much it is for a gallon, but it is loads for a litre

9. diane Banned Banned

$4.69 in San Francisco.

10. gmilam Valued Senior Member

~ $3.80 in Ft Worth, TX.

11. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Didn't realize the President set gas prices.

I'm all for high gas prices. It encourages looking seriously at other energy alternatives, which would break us out of the middle east dependency.

12. diane Banned Banned

The price of oil dropped more than 12% this week but gas prices continue to skyrocket. Thanks for nothing, Obama.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

The oil industry is not run by supply and demand.

14. diane Banned Banned

People called for Bush's crucifixion when gas went over $3. The same should be for Obama. High gas prices hurt the average and poor the worst. Americans will never accept alternative energy. They like their cars too much. We have enough oil in the Gulf and AK to last a lifetime. Proof was when BP "leaked" millions of gallons into the Gulf.

15. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Bit of an over statement there Diane.

We use ~19 MILLION barrels of oil each and every day.

There are 42 gallons in a barrel, so that come out to ~800 Million gallons of oil each day.

BP, at the high end of estimates, spilled about 200 Million gallons of oil into the Gulf, or roughly enough for ~6 hours of our use.

Arthur

16. diane Banned Banned

We HAVE to drill more of the Gulf and AK. We are sitting on enough reserves to last a lifetime. Who cares about the sea slug or caribou? Drill baby drill!

17. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Last one lifetime. Maybe.

You're obviously not too worried about the next generation.

18. diane Banned Banned

We have to fix our problems now before we worry about anyone/anything else.

19. Pinwheel Banned Banned

The next generation can cycle to work. It will be good for obesity.

20. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Exactly, but relying on oil to always be readily available is hardly fixing anything.

21. siphra Registered Senior Member

$4.30 /gal regular

And it would only hurt the poor, so yes, let the government raise gas prices by forced taxing of it. The poor won't be able to afford to work, food and heating prices will go up, more starvation, more freezing in the rough winters of the north. This is brilliant policy, very very friendly to the impoverished of the nation. I saw a NY Times reporter a few years ago say the government should tax it all the way to $10 per gallon.

Edit : Why is it that (SOME) people think that fuel pricing is isolated from the rest of the economy? Can someone explain that to me, or do they actually want to see across the board price increases?

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My wife is back in California (waiting for me to make enough money to retire and move back home) and she's paying about $4.60 in Eureka. It's a little lower in the metropolitan areas. I'm paying $4.20 in the Washington DC region, but only because I fill up at Costco or at a cash-only chain where prices are 10-15 cents cheaper.
    Leftists scream at rightists and rightists scream at leftists. The right isn't going to complain about high gas prices because they worry more about keeping corporate profits high than the left does. The right has forgotten the Dickensian Era and the left hasn't quite figured out why the Soviet Union collapsed, which is why we're libertarians and find it hard to take either side seriously.
    I hope you're joking. It's Mrs. Fraggle and I who should be copping that attitude because we have no children and therefore theoretically shouldn't care about what the world will be like in 50 or 100 years. Unfortunately we can't find it in our hearts to be like that. We've spent our whole lives struggling to be able to leave this place a little better than we found it. That's the most basic definition of a civilized human being.

You're all our children and we want you--and your children and theirs--to inherit a nice planet.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Then stop fucking whining about the price. That's like complaining about the price of heroin.

The Gulf Leak was 5 million barrels, the US uses almost 20 million barrels per day.