How much water did each tank contain originally?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by chikis, May 4, 2013.

1. chikis Registered Senior Member

A water tank A contains 3 times as much water as another water tank B. When 25 liters are poured from tank A into B, there is now twice as much water in B as in tank A. How much water did each tank contain originally?

A water tank A contains 3 times as much water as another water tank B.

Let the water be in tank A 3w and that in tank B be w.
    >

When 25 liters are poured from tank A into B, there is now twice as much water in B as in tank A.

3w - 25 = 2w

How much water did each tank contain originally?

I can solve the problem if only I understand the English or words of the problem correctly. Please can any one explain it to me?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

A starts with 3 times that of B so let B's amount be W and therefore A's amount 3W. Pouring 25 litres from A to B means A now has 3W-25 and B has W+25. The question says now B has twice as much as A so W+25 = 2(3W-25). Expanding this out gives W+25 = 6W-50. Therefore 5W = 75 and so W = 15. Let's check, so now B starts with 15 and A starts with 45. Pouring 25 from A to B gives B being 40 and A being 20, so B is twice A now. So W=25 is the answer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

You originally stated W=15, which is correct, so I guess the "W=25" is a typo?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Wait, A starts with 3W and B with W We transfer 25 liters form A to B, so A now has 3W-25 and B has W+25. Tank A now has two times as much water as B, so 3W-25 = 2(W+25)

Expanding and solving we get W= 75. Thus A starts with 225 liters and B 75. Moving 25 liters from A to B makes 200 liters in A and 100 liters in B, or A has twice the water as B.

8. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Yes, W=15, not W=25, that was a typo.

The question says "there is now twice as much water in B as in tank A", so B is twice A, W+25 = 2*(3W-25), rather than A is twice B, 3W-25 = 2*(W+25), as you have.

Of course we could do this in a more general manner. A starts with k times as much as B, so B=W and A = kW. We pour amount P from A into B so now we have A=kW-P and B = W+P. B is now m times as much as A so W+P = m(kW-P). We now rearrange to get (mk-1)W = (1+m)P so \(W = \frac{1+m}{mk-1}P\). A quick check from the original question has k=3, P=25 and m=2 so \(W = \frac{3}{5}25 = 15\)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In your case we'd have \(m = \frac{1}{2}\) since you've got A and B the other way around in the second part so \(W = \frac{(\frac{3}{2})}{(\frac{1}{2})}25 = \frac{3}{1}25 = 75\). If we poured from B to A then P would be negative but there'd be a sign change in mk-1 so the amount is still positive, as A/B would go up, not down.

You could do it even more generally by saying initially if B=W then \(A = aW+b\) and then after pouring amount P we have \(B=W+P\) and \(A = aW+b-P\) and then we can say \(B = xA+y\) so \(W+P = x(aW+b-P)+y\) and so \((ax-1)W = (1+x)P - (bx+y)\) so \(W = \frac{1+x}{ax-1}P - \frac{bx+y}{ax-1}\). Checking this with the example means a=3, b=0, P=25, x=2 and y=0 so \(W = \frac{1+2}{6-1}25 - \frac{0}{6-1} = 15\) and for your example we change x to x=1/2 and repeat.

9. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

My bad, I misread it.

10. phyti Registered Senior Member

Maybe you've been solving difficult ones for so long, you forgot the basics.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  11. phyti Registered Senior Member

looks like simultaneous linear equations
    1. b/a=1/3
    2. (b+25)/(a-25)=2

b=a/3=2a-50-25
    5/3a-75=0
    a=45, b=15