How strong is a silverbach gorrila compared to a strong adult male human

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Alan McDougall, Aug 21, 2010.

1. John99 Banned Banned

In 70-98% of the ways, i can find, gorillas are stronger. Taken on a whole is a different scenario though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Lol, you tested this?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I think it's safe to say that the average gorilla has the strength to rip even an extraordinarily large and strong man to shreds with little effort.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

So, what we have really learned here is..... Don't hang around, or piss off, a Siverback Gorilla.

'Nuff said.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

For good measure, it's Silverback. Not Silverbach..

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yeah, and they are better at Sudoku and Crosswords than John too.

10. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

A chimp can easily rip your face off as well.

And has bigger testicles.

11. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

What do you think of gorilla v male lion?

(These are the fights we never get to see on National Geographic)

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Lions kill larger animals all the time, so they know what they are doing. In spite of a gorilla's strength, they are vegetarians and have no experience in killing, so I would pick the lion easily. That being said, lions are cautious and wouldn't fight something that would fight back, something that isn't their ordinary prey.

13. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Probably because they don't share a habitat. :spank:

14. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

They may not be found too often in forests of Congo etc but the lions distribution pretty much covers all of Africa. It truly is the king of Africa!

I'm pretty sure these two animals have crossed plenty of times before in the past. probably not often enough to capture on TV though

15. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Nonsense. Lions don't even come near gorillas. And the distribution of lions in africa is pretty limited. The only ubiquitous feline predator in Africa is the leopard.

And it doesn't limit itself to a single habitat or continent. It is an opportunist and a wonderful beast.

Feel free to look up the current range of lions habitation if you feel like it. It's extremely limited.

16. Alan McDougall Alan McDougall Registered Senior Member

Hi Mac, what you say is true, lions and gorillas never interact in the wilds of Africa, but there is evidence that leopards sometimes kill gorillas, but if it can kill a full grown silver-back gorilla is disputable

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

That sounds about right.

Ah, but that's due to our skin! It may be one of the best adaptations humans ever made - I mean, we dont' pant so we can run down pretty much any large prey until they drop over - free eats for us!

18. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Indeed, and leopards aren't stupid. Like any predator they will go for the small, weak, sick or old. So I guess they seldom will go for a full grown silverback in their prime. I assume they might sometimes go after an infant or a sick exemplar.

Maybe only the leopards that can be nominated for the Darwin awards might try to go head to head with a male gorilla in its prime.

19. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

That is not a limited distribution:

Here is gorilla distribution:

I don't disagree that leopards come into contact far more often but it is pretty naive to say that Lions and Gorillas have never even once come into contact in the history of the continent. Lions have pretty much seen everything Africa has to offer - and is still king of the beasts.

20. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Look up a historic distribution pattern and you can back your statement. Be honest and you will find a different distribution.

Gorillas might have met lions. And I might win the lottery tomorrow.

In real life probability dictates that lions never meet gorillas. And that is what you claimed was a probable event.

Your null hypothesis has been rejected. Accept it and move on.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Is there a point to this thread? Let's say I say gorillas are 5.78 times stronger than humans and you say it is 8.21 times....

Do we really care that much and is it possible to put such an exact number on the answer?

No and no....

But yes, gorillas are strong....

22. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Ants are stronger.

23. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Thanks for just helping my argument. You have shown that lions covered even more of Africa than I initially thought! And yet you still think that not one of these lions have roamed close to a forest and met a gorilla over a few million years.