How the British Got their Accent

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lixluke, Oct 11, 2004.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Why do British people have accents if the language came from UK?
    Their the ones that created English. How did they end up getting an accent?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

Everyone has an accent...some are just easier to hear than others or we are just used to them.

Or did you want like some explaination about people, countries and why they sound the way they do?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SKULLZ Banned Banned

I dont know mate,we all speak with different accents,we have a north,south east and west varying accents.

If youre reffering to the accent you hear in stupid hollywood movies...well its just that: stupid!!,possibly some upperclass speak that way still,but thats a toff accent,from your 1066 mob.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

And even the upper class accent has altered a little over the past century.
    The British, ultimately, got their accent the same way everyone else did, by speaking and living in small groups, and yet having commerce with other people and places.

8. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

That has got to be the most hilarious opening post I've seen in ages.

9. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Um . . . Everyone has an accent. It's just hard to tell ya have an accent yerself.

They didn't "create" the language. And they didn't "end up getting" an accent. Our accent either stemmed out of theirs (therefore making our dialect a daughter of their dialect) or developed alongside theirs from a not-so-ancestral dialect (therefore making our dialect a sister).

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Did it ever occur to you that Americans are the ones with the accents?.....They created the language as you say soooooooooooooo technically you are the one with the accent, not them.

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i say ozzies have an accent too, not as noticable as the american one, but they always talk in a slightly higher pitch, and their "i"s always are prnounced "eee"

gotta love it when they talk about feeesh n cheeeps

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Every person in the whole world has an accent. An accent is basically how you pronounce your words. So you can never find a person without an accent.

The 'English' did devise the English language but a majority of it was taken from French, German, Spanish, Italian, Latin, etc, etc. It's a mix and matched language.

Spending my early years in Germany (around other British people) I have a very low English accent (it's very monotoned) but you can also tell it's a Southern accent. Every county has it's own stereotypical accent. From Cornwall to Kent al the way up to Yorkshire.

The ones portrayed in movies are rubbish (except the British made movies naturally). Example, Independance Day when those two RAF pilots hear about the Americans destroying one of those ships...I have never in my life heard anyone speak like that.

What amazes me is that British actors can immitate Americans better than Americans can immitate the British. Just watch Black Hawk Down and Band of Brothers. Most of the actors are British.

And the Aussies, they have a very distinct accent. The ones I've hearf are very similar to a Cheshire accent but everything they say sounds like a question as they raise the pitch of their voice near the end of what they're saying.

~Fin

13. vslayer Registered Senior Member

its the nuclear radiation, it lowers their IQs to the point where they elect a chimpanzee, go to war over oil which should be out of date by now, and drive cars the size of freight trains on the: "my cars bigger, so when we crash, youll die before me" strategy.

have they never heard of the: "by a car that fits into your own lane and you wont need to survive a crash" strategy

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think they got it from the Australians.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

vslayer

ummm your thinking of the kiwis not the australians

we say FISH and CHIPS

they say FUSH and CHOPS

(B\W its really hard to spell and proniciation)

and sex instead of six

i have always wondered how they pronounce sex actually

thor, your right, we have a rising inflection which is something if your doing public speaking they discorage (and its very hard to change to a falling one)

as for the British, well they have 100's but even if you found the origional english speakers then they would SEEM to have an accent because YOU do. It would be you with the accent not them

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no one has an accent when they sing thats why

we all pronounce our vouls the same, its as close to netural as you can get

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

1.) No one has an accent when they sing...
    2.) Everyone sounds American when they sing...

So...
    Then you are saying that Americans don't have accents.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

err no

people dont sing american, they sing neutral. They just dont HEAR it

to me people sing with australian accents

19. mickeyboy Powerslave rocks Registered Senior Member

yes ar aw mad

said in a west of scotland accent.

20. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Whoa, whoa, not everyone has an accent per se. I know I don't because I pronounce words as specified by a dictionary, unless you consider pronouncing words correctly to be an accent of itself.

I personally don't know why they choose to pronounce words incorrectly.

21. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Of course people sing with accents; listen to hip-hop, reggae etc.. ts tchahman!

Britain has myriad accents, in fact, some sound so weird that even the British of a different county can't comprehend them and the same can probably be said for most large countries.

22. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

Depends on who you are talking to. Personally...I have never heard anyone in my life who did not have an accent....I've met a lot of people.

Irregardless of pronouncing words exactly as specified by a dictionary, I still think there would be inflection in your voice. Of course I have never heard anyone that pronounces every word they say exactly as it is in the dictionary.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

apendrapew

its not how the dictionary says it but what you have been taught the letters sound like that matters

so yes you WILL have an accent

say we take the australian and NZ accents

i look in the dictionary and it says to prounounce the word with an "e" sound in it (whatever the word is)

so i say "e" the NZ would say "u" instead because all there vowles are turned one letter around so i is e, e is u, u is a, and a is i

we are still pronoucing the way the dictionary says to but its different to each other