How to discuss religion in a science forum.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by lixluke, Jun 2, 2006.

?

How should religion be discussed in a science forum?

1. Freely the same way any topic is discussed.

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. Subject to rigid criticism on the verge of extreme.

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I don't think Scientists are the only ones reluctant. For instance the religious community in all their doctorines pretty much state the only reason why we are here is because we were created for no real purpose other than to be a slave to a belief system and controlled by such beliefs.

Slavery is something I'm not going to buy into no matter if I'm a scientist or not.

As to how religion should be discussed, well it should be openly discussed with the very viewpoints of the persons discussing it. Not with people slapping quotations from a book of "How to enslave earth"

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

Is sciforums.com a science forum? Besides the name, what indicates that it is? I am not quite sure what the numbers mean in the main page but we seem to have at least as much debating in religion subforum than in math. "Free toughts" usually has more viewings then " Science & Society" etc.
    Sciforums is more than science forum. Religion should be discussed freely the same way any topic is discussed.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Excuse me Cool Skill, but that seems a truly dumb statement from where I am sitting. Silkworm has made a statement about the limits of science base upon the accepted definitions of science. Please explain what is fanatical about about offering such a broadly based statement. Rather than fanatical it is the height of moderation and reasonableness, matching all of Silworm's posts on this thread, where he has bent over backwards to be reasonable.

I shall be interested in your response. A word of warning. Don't even consider for a moment about calling me an atheist, or I shall track you down and pour concentrated sulphuric acid on your begonias.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

His breasts or a tropical plant?

(Thanks answers.com for the definition and wiki for the slang

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

both, i am assuming.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And we wonder why there is a war on?
    Even so-called scientists cannot debate on religion without resorting to vitriolic comments, and reading some of posts, I am sure that if they were brought face to face it would end in a free for all

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

atheist

and why ain't i a member of the 5% club?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You might want to check what the 5% denotes first

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

what is the 5% club?

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Absane: Look up the series of threads by Bhudda1. There the mystery of the 5% club will be revealed by careful interpretation. (Thank you also for a new slang term.)

Leopold: You may call me an atheist as often as you wish. It's CoolSkill who is not allowed to.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah, only cause you know that i know you ain't.

if what you told absane it true then you must be an old fogey indeed.

15. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

ROFL. Second thread from the list. Nice

16. what makes you think that because someone disagrees with someone else, free discussion isn't taking place? religion is discussed freely here despite the fact that some atheists say "you're stupid, god doesn't exist". that statement doesn't invalidate anyone else's opinon, it is just another opinion whether relevant or irrelevant. i dont know if you've noticed, but everytime an atheist posts a thread about how god doesn't exist, there are inevitably some theists on there telling everyone that they are blind fools who are going to burn in a lake of fire, or quoting irrelevant scripture...etc. the only difference between these two occurences is that the atheists don't whine ad nauseum about the theist "taking away their right to freely discuss a topic". the whole forum is open to theists and atheists, discuss whatever you want, if someone disagrees with you or is rude, ignore them. stop being little fucking baby pussies about it and go on with your life.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2006
  17. leopold Valued Senior Member

while i agree that the whole forum is open to atheists and theists alike religion in and of itself does not belong in the science forum.

18. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

that is why there is a religion subforum, leo.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

no need to tell me. it seems charles cure and others are the ones to tell it to.

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

That is because you do not know how to read.

Bigoted.

Who cares? It's a science forum ether way. Religion is free to be discussed in a science forum in the same way any other subject is.

No you did not notice the poll at the top.

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Fanatic.

22. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

You are an atheist. Otherwise you would not be crying about the post regarding silkworm's fanaticism.

23. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

So skill you like to point out peoples fanaticism yet you cant even see your own. Religon can be debated & discussed. It is a free forum and it is open discussion.