How to spot misogynists and misandrists

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wegs, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Bells Staff Member

You might find this paper interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5920542/

Quantum Quack and wegs like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

You think we are going to go extinct? How, exactly? We certainly have the power to make life miserable for ourselves, but extinction? I think perhaps you have been watching too many apocalypse movies.
    Change is always inevitable. And the patriarchal system has not "failed humanity terribly" any more than ancient matriarchal societies failed humanity terribly. It is just a poor way to do things. Things are slowly changing - but it will be a long time before we see anything like equal opportunity.
    We freed the slaves over 150 years ago. Racism did not disappear.
    We passed civil rights laws and decided cases in favor of racial equality. Racism did not disappear.
    Women got the right to vote. Sexism did not disappear.
    Women got the right to serve in the military, and become doctors, paramedics and police. We've had female senators, presidential candidates, secretaries of state and Supreme Court justices. Sexism has not disappeared.

We are headed in the right direction, but we have a long way to go.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Nope!
    Climate change will eventually force habitat construction upon us but by then the "extinction threshold" becomes a real possibility unless the smart ones get their act together and design and build sustainable communities...

You could use the biblical story of Noah's Ark as a good analogy.
    Replace the name Noah with the words Climate Science
    the word God with Nature
    the rains with climate catastrophe
    the general population with climate change deniers
    and see how you go...

With out strong affirmative action you may never get there. Male addiction to power is not going to be easy to get over..

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

This is exceptionally interesting, thanks for posting this Bells. I found it curious, the socio economic/demographic etc breakdown and the ''misogyny scale'' (questionnaire) in the center of the paper. There doesn't seem to be enough (mainstream) conversation about misogyny, in terms of how it affects society on a broader scale. I've only viewed it from my (and other women's perspectives) as a ''victim'' of it at times, but not how it (misogynistic attitudes) can potentially affect men in modern day society.

Quantum Quack likes this.
  8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Or people will just . . . farm and build like they do now. Unfortunately there is no real need to be sustainable if you are in it for yourself.

But that's a discussion for another thread. I don't really feel like arguing any more about the patriarchy thing because I think you and I are basically in agreement; we're just arguing over semantics, which isn't that fruitful.

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Farming, logistics, etc are all going to be seriously effected when you think of the numbers. Frequent Heatwaves of 60+ deg C frequent flooding, intense drought, no forests surviving, no insects = no food for so many people plus many factors not yet even considered. We are sleep walking in to a nightmare, a nightmare becoming worse every season.

The current Corona virus outbreak currently spreading around the globe may eventually be found to be associated with climate change**.... with potentially more novel and new viruses yet to be revealed.
    (**) Animal products derived from long term climate stressed animals. Example: Fish in waters that they normally do not swim in mixing with breeds that they normally do not have contact with... etc
    Fair enough... later perhaps.

10. Bells Staff Member

A few things that should be noted about that paper.

It was based on a study of men in Tijuana, Mexico. Where there is a fairly strong male dominant ideal to begin with, but it was also looking at how drugs affect how these men think, feel, behave. Mexico is very much patriarchal, and misogyny is rife. And it may very well be that misogyny that stops men from getting help to begin with.

Most importantly, violence against women in Mexico and in parts of South America is exceptionally high.

According to United Nations statistics, around 64,000 women and girls are killed annually. Moreover, 14 of the top 25 countries with the highest rate of femicides resides in Latin America and the Caribbean. Specific to Mexico, UN statistics show that an average of seven women are murdered daily. Some attribute the recent spike in Mexico’s femicides to the rise in violence between organized crime groups. Regardless, Mexico’s rate of femicides reflects the level of impunity characteristic of Mexico’s culture even today.

[...]

In a UN Womens’ Report “The long Road to justice, prosecuting femicide in Mexico,” the authors explain a direct correlation between Mexico’s “patriarchal, misogynist mindset and gender violence and girls which can result in death is perpetrated, in most cases, to conserve and reproduce the submission and subordination of them derived from relationships to power.” According to the authors of the report, misogyny is still very relevant in Mexico. A survey released by Reuters ranked Mexico City the fourth most dangerous city for women. According to a collaborative report, La Violencia Feminicida en México, Aproximaciones y Tendencias 1985-2016, there has been little change to the overall cultural mindset, which marginalized women as “disposable” and permeating gender-based violence, and ultimately, femicide. In 2016, there were 2,746 femicides in Mexico and in the last decade there was 23,800.

Mexico is an extreme, but the paper itself is interesting in its own right.

To alter things in Mexico would take a massive cultural shift, which is a generational thing. This is unfortunately not something that will change in my or even our children's lifetime. Awareness, education programs in schools starting from the moment they start school, may shift some of those figures a bit, and that may help. Increasing punishment is not going to work, especially given how few femicide's are even investigated by police.

wegs likes this.
  11. just me Registered Senior Member

this gender nonsense is silly.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Agree. It's nobody's business what your naughty bits are, or how you identify - unless you choose to share.
    Closed-minded busy-bodies should mind their own biz.

cluelusshusbund and just me like this.
  13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Which nonsense is that?

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

People deciding what genders there are allowed to be, and what bucket others have to fit in.

Only a fool would think that's not nonsense.

15. just me Registered Senior Member

just the general obsession with genders and gender stereotypes these days.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

I don't see too much obsession. Most people can figure it out.

17. just me Registered Senior Member

I hate it.
    I cried like 5 times at school and everyone said it was because I was a teenage girl that I cried a lot.
    but I don't, those were the only times I cried all YEAR.
    it was just my bad luck that I happened to have a vast audience every single time.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Hm.

- Do you identify as a female, and
    - did they question your gender - or simply stereotyped you as your gender.

19. just me Registered Senior Member

that's an accurate summation.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

OK, so it seems it isn't a question of gender fluidity in your case, but of sexism.
    Wasn't sure.

21. just me Registered Senior Member

gender stereotypes and sexism are virtually synonyms.
    and yes.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Misogyny isn’t stereotyping - it’s a definition that fits certain men who have a disdain or are threatened by women, and who often seek to hurt them physically, sexually or emotionally.

23. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

The only piece of shit I can see here is you. Don't tell me to kill myself you fucking piece of shit Internet warrior.