How to upload from a CD to a laptop?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by wynn, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Hello.

I have a PC (Windows XP) and a laptop (Windows 7).
    The PC has an ADSL internet connection.
    Now I wish to connect the laptop to the internet as well (but not simultaneously as the PC, just using the same modem).
    I have the CD with the internet set up wizard from the internet service provider.
    I have installed the internet connection to the PC, so I know in roundabout how this goes, but I'm not sure it's the same with a laptop/Win7.

The laptop has no drive for CD's, nor do I have an external hard-drive.

How can I upload the contents from the CD to the laptop?

Thank you for your help!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's really dependent on whether the CD is meant to install drivers for your modem, or whether your modem is stand alone. I mean do you plug a USB or Ethernet cable into your modem from your PC?, have you tried just directly connecting the cable to the laptop?

If no drivers are required then the only thing you need to take note of is your ASDL settings, most ISP's nowadays have modems or routers that handle those settings rather than allowing your PC to handle them. It's likely that if you connect the modem to your laptop you'll be able to navigate into some settings by using a web GUI. Of course I can't confirm this since one of the main details you've missed is "The Make of your Modem and your ISP", both of those things are important for debugging your issue.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry, I'm not very good at computer issues ...

It appears that the cable from the PC to the modem is an ethernet cable.
    The modem has ports that say USB, but it doesn't look like one could plug a USB key into it. There is also a WiFi port.

The modem is a Sagem F@st 3344.

I'm not in the US. What info do you need about my ISP (it's not in English, so I'll have to translate)?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

First try this

Put your CD in your Desktop

Copy all files to a thumb drive (those little do dats)

Put the thumb drive to the lap top and run the setup while connected to the ADSL via either the USB cable or Ethernet cable.

Alternatively Window 7 may be able to connect to ADSL natively without the CD

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It looks like you probably have a Sagem F@st 3344 11g WLAN ADSL2+ VoIP USB 4P Router a specification sheet in PDF (in English) is available here

What it suggests is:
    you have an ASDL 2+ "Router", With both Ethernet and USB connections. It's also capable of supporting both 108.22g Wireless access and Bluetooth apparently.

If you purchased this device yourself then you will likely have a user manual found probably on that CD you are trying to use, so you'll want to have a look whats on the Disc on your PC. If you didn't buy it then it's leased, this means that the CD probably still contains information thats relevant which again you should be able to read on your PC.

In most cases the ISP will change the login and password that you'd connect to the router with to something that you wouldn't guess alone. You might try logging in with user:root and password: *whatevertheISPsnameis* but it's not guaranteed

You will need to login however to setup a connection for your laptop, obviously connecting a cable between it and the router will be the easiest method and probably wouldn't require any addition settings to be changed (and therefore you won't need to log into the router) however if you want to setup your wireless connection, you'll need to gain access.

Once done, you'll be able to connect your PC and the laptop at the same time through it to the internet, and potentially share files between the two systems.

Incidentally it's likely the CD would just automate the task of pairing your laptop wirelessly with the router, since you can't use the CD direction you'll have to look at doing this manually so be prepared to do some research on configuring a wireless connection manually.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Allright, thank you.
    It looks like I'm in for quite a bit of work.

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I did it!!!! Yay.

Why is it that whenever I finally manage to do something computer-related, I feel pretty much like this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.