Human Rights

Discussion in 'World Events' started by kmguru, Aug 9, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Below is a description of the human rights condition I picked up from a website. What do you think? Can you guess about USA?

Guess?
    The Government generally respected the human rights of its citizens in some areas; however, its record remained poor in many other significant areas, and it continued to commit serious abuses. Police committed a number of extrajudicial killings, and some persons died in police custody under suspicious circumstances. Police routinely used torture, beatings, and other forms of abuse while interrogating suspects. Police frequently beat demonstrators. The Government rarely convicts and punishes those persons responsible for torture or unlawful deaths. Rape of female detainees in prison or other official custody has been a problem; however, there were no reports of this during the year.

United Kingdom
    The Government generally respected the human rights of its citizens, and the law and judiciary provide effective means of dealing with individual instances of abuse. Individual members of the police occasionally abused detainees. Prison conditions, including overcrowding and the number of prison suicides, also remained problems. There are some limits on freedom of assembly and association related to the security situation in Northern Ireland. The Government continued to take steps to combat violence against women. Societal discrimination against women, nonwhite minorities, and the Traveller (nomadic) community are problems, as are child abuse and occasional societal violence against minorities. Trafficking in women is an acknowledged problem.

Canada
    The Government generally respected the human rights of its citizens, and the law and judiciary provide effective means for dealing with individual instances of abuse; however, there were problems in some areas. Problems include discrimination against aboriginals, the disabled, and women. There was an increase in anti-Semitic harassment. The Government continued to take serious steps to address private acts of violence against women. Trafficking of persons into the country, including trafficking for purposes of prostitution is a growing problem.

Australia
    The Government generally respects the human rights of its citizens, and the law and judiciary provide effective means of dealing with individual instances of abuse. There were occasional reports that police beat or otherwise abused persons. Societal violence and discrimination against women are problems that are being addressed actively. There were some instances of forced labor, and trafficking in women is a limited but growing problem. Leaders in the ethnic and immigrant communities expressed concern that increased numbers of illegal immigrants and violence at migrant detention centers contribute to instances of vilification of immigrants and minorities.

Germany
    The Government generally respected the human rights of its citizens, and the law and judiciary provide effective means of dealing with cases of individual abuse. There were instances in which police were accused of human rights abuses, mostly against foreign residents and asylum seekers. Instances of societal violence and harassment directed at foreign residents continued as well, some resulting in deaths. After a 13.7 percent decline in rightwing-motivated crime in 1999, preliminary figures for the year suggest a significant increase in the number of such crimes. Moreover, the number of proven or suspected violent rightwing crimes (most of which resulted in bodily harm to the victim) during the year rose by more than 12 percent, from 746 to 840, continuing a trend found in 1999. The Government is taking serious steps to address the problem of violence against women and children. Women continue to face some wage discrimination in the private sector, as do members of minorities and foreigners. Trafficking in women and girls is a serious problem, with Germany being both a destination and a transit country. The Government has taken the lead in coordinating federal and state efforts to combat trafficking and aid its victims.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

I havn't heard anything about violence and discrimination against woman. It should really be against men. Because the media always makes our that we are stupid. But I guess it is politically correct in society nowadays to say bad things about men. But say something little about woman and you are called shovanist. Well thats probably why its there in that paragraph.

Forced labor. Heard nothing.

Trafficking women. Well aren't there prostitutes everywhere. I thought the people were so nice when I walked around the city and having them all call me sweetie

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Now to detention centers. Lets see, they get cable tv, basketball courts. all meals and expenses paid. They get treated better than the average Autralian, its just that they are locked behind a fence. Well, actually what really hurt our human rights record with the detention centers was that a man raped his son. And the media blamed the government for this. I mean, this isn't the normal thing a father does to his son. But undoubtedly it does happen. also, it is mostly the Palestinians who cause the violence at detention centers. I reckon we should just round up the ones responsible give them the shanty of a boat they used to get here and just send them back to sea. At least have a little respect for the 5 star ok 4 1/2 star treatment they get. I've lived in this country for a good 18 years 1 month 1 day and 14 minutes at time of writing, not including the 8 months 25 days spent in the womb and the government has never given me free food, free cable, free accomodation. You have to earn it over here. Not just sail illegally and expect this and more.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.