Human Society Is Going Toward the Wrong Direction

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by hujiaqichina, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hujiaqichina Banned Banned

In mid-April, a reader from Hong Kong who works as an investment analyst sent me a letter in which he referred to many problems that mankind facing today, some with serious degrees beyond example. Recently, the financial crisis has been lasting over six months, but from his point of view, neither a politician nor an economist came up with any perfect solution. After reading my book On Human Extinction, he wanted to know my idea.
    I sent him a reply saying that this is a complicated question and suggesting that he should read the latter part of my other work, Saving Humanity (Selected), in which I had made systematic elaborations. I also gave him some of my ideas in short: in the mid-18th century early stage of the Industrial Revolution, the world population was only 0.7 billion, but now we have 7 billion. This means ten-times the consumption and pollutions. Into what will this turn the earth?
    There are some things to be more concerned about. The continuous economic growth made the per capital GDP 200 times larger than that of over 200 years ago. Ten times the population multiplied by fifty times per capital GDP equals 500 times the burden on Earth than that at the early days of the Industrial Revolution. This increase will be doubled every 20 or 30 years, which means that by the end of this century or the beginning of next century, the burden carried by Earth will be tens of thousands of times heavier than that of the initial stage of the Industrial Revolution. This sounds fearful. Where is the end of this development? It can be simply understood that with the past direction and pattern, the human species will not survive long.
    However, science and technology is a double-edged sword. It is profitable and at the same time baneful, with equally strong powers at both the good and evil sides. A city with millions of people can be ruined by a nuclear bomb explosion in one second, and the bio-toxin transformed from transgenic technology has more dreadful destructive power than nuclear weapons. Think about it; it is of course not at the destructive peak of science and technology, but there is always the trend that of devouring power continuously growing with the development of science and technology. So what is the ultimate destructive power of science and technology? And is mankind capable of controlling it?
    In fact, we have been running on the wrong track for more than 200 years, pursuing the old direction and developing methods which will not leave much for our descendents or even ourselves to live long on Earth. Thus, I think it is about time to make a thorough change of the human society.

Please visit my website at www-hujiaqi-com ( The human studies in which I have been engaged for the past 30 years have shown that the continued development of science and technology will soon extinguish humanity. It is a matter of life or death and of unparalleled importance to mankind. It is mankind's biggest problem, and we need to wake up in order to save ourselves from extinction. We must achieve great world unification, and the basic conditions are ready.Only we need is to reach an commom opinion,that is the people in the world should wake up.)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hay_you Registered Member

Very interesting stuff.
    I was wondering, did you know that all the people in the world right now, can fit in the state of Texas? ( with about 2 yards around each person)
    The problem of mans ruining the earth, is not from over population. It is from mans mismanagement. Which comes from the pursuit of power and greed.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The problem is human nature, which won't change without either drugs or genetic engineering.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hay_you Registered Member

Not everyone is like that. There are some that don't need power or really are not that greedy. The trouble with man is that the ones that are greedy and want power are the ones that rule. And the meeker ones get run over.
    This is a reason why mans governments always fail in the end.
    Man is definitely going in the wrong direction. For man now it maybe too late. There will have to be some intervention, or things will really go down.
    I see just as many cars on the road as before, people are even buying new cars, there is no thought of slowing down the use of things like this. What can politicians do? They can't stop this over night, the people would not stand for it. So , down we go.

8. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Hay_you...what percentage of the world's population doesn't need power, or are not greedy?

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Or more specifically, what percentage that are in politics?

If human society is going is the wrong direction, its because they are being lead that way, not necessarily by nefarious personalities but by the system itself.

10. hay_you Registered Member

You are talking about energy, I was talking about wanting to rule a country, or the whole world. Every ones wants his family looked after. But the way the world is now requires everyone to lookout for himself. Because you are basically on your own. And in some countries you are not successful unless you make it big.
    But many people don't need or want this kind of system. After all this system is based on greed. And it is man made. You have to go along or your on the street.
    In other parts of the world people are starving. Man's system does not work. It has to fall. This system was not planed it is a result of a carrot infront of a donkey ( I could have used the other word for donkey, but I thought I better not)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. mike47 Banned Banned

Greed and selfishness is everywhere . Humans can be better by having more controls over the huge corporations, the media strange business ,the elections and the elections contributions.....etc . We have too much propaganda to the point where people became like robots : if it is on TV it is the whole truth in their views .
    We have dumb asses politicians who keep on lying to their masses and at the end they get reelected as if lies, manipulation and deceits are the norm .
    Humans need real education based on science and philosophy that open the eyes of the public . We are citizens and therefore we can change things by our votes, our demonstrations, our refusal to follow non sense day after day, week after week , month after month and year after year .
    With all the money spent on education and we have an educated population that is just a mere ring in the hands of the powerful : the politicians, the religious leaders, the media, the celebrities.....etc who influence the people too much .

12. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Dear Hujiaqichina,

You have been here before, and I just realized that you were banned as spammer (your name was "hujiaqi_beijing", congratulation for your very creative new name) , I don't know why actually, maybe it's because you are using this forum as a platform to direct people to your website.

Anyhow, I checked your website again, and I realized that you haven't touched anything on your website since then. That's why I am repeating my previous in here as a reply to your previous post.

"I read some articles on your website. Before that, I would like to make two remarks about it: The background colour of your site is too dark, too difficult to read the articles. Either change the background colour, or change the font colour, make it readable. Secondly, when I entered your address to the bar, I ended up with a site which says “under construction”. Thanks to help of Google I found it. I think you should give a specific direction so that people can easily reach.

When we look at the main picture of your ideas…

I agree with almost all of your descriptions about the general picture of human development, the state of living species and other information about universe. It did not say anything new, because the most of them are already our daily life subjects, while other issues are already discussed in this forum as well as thousands of other places. Agreeing with you on these areas is actually agreeing with the general knowledge of current situation of our civilization.

Here is a passage from your “Open Letter to 26 World Leaders” article:

“The extinction of any species is a result of the maladjustment of the natural environment. As the only intelligent life on this planet, there is no need for us to cope with the climatic changes with a naked body and fight against beasts with bare hands. What is more, there is no more relying on nature’s simple food such as berries or fruits, for we can enjoy our productions creatively.”

If we know this, we also know that we need more science and more technology. Because, among other things, science and technology makes us distinctive species on this planet, and they give us real possibility for a longer survival than our natural limits. If you are able to talk about and be aware of global scale issues, communication, knowledge of universe and many other things, it is mostly due to science and technology. You are basically saying that science and technology should be controlled by world leaders; but these are the main responsible bodies who already controls over our subject issues. Science and Technology are tools, and if they look like some dangerous means to end humanity, it is because some people or authorities are manipulating them towards this direction. These tools can also be directed towards the well being of humanity, it’s a political choice.

“The restriction of science and technology” is a dangerous path to follow: You may also be restricting the possible outcomes of future science. If you want to ask something useful from world bastards, ask them what are they doing for their people, what are they investing on science, atom bomb or cures for human condition.

I also share your excitement about the “the problem of the extinction of human beings”. I believe we humans have become the subjects to an interesting possibility of this universe and atoms, forces and life have gained consciousness through our existence. As Einstein once said, “The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is THAT it is comprehensible”.
    "

You haven't modified yourself, so I haven't modified mine. Sorry.

13. hay_you Registered Member

That is true. But not everyone is like that. Religions ( leaders)by what they do , show what they really are.

14. hay_you Registered Member

In North America, voters get these people in power. So the average person is also responsible for the leaders they elect. You just can't blame the leader, the average person is part of this system.
    Today a leader can say this is the way we should go, and he advocates getting rid of all the cars and computers and all the material stuff we have and go back to the way things were 200 years ago, people are not going to follow that.
    But there are people that would give up material things, if everyone in the world had enough food and shelter. Personally I would be interested in that. But realistically, I never hear any politicians, trying to get elected on that question.
    The only reason people are trying to cut down on the waste now, is becasue they have to. But all people are not like that.
    But man can't do it. He doesn't have the ability or will.
    Man's systems are built to fail. A great power comes up for a while then go down. The difference now is that becasue of all the material pollution we have, we are taking the earth with us.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You seem to have no problem taking advantage of science and technology (computer, internet, servers, web sites, design software) in order to promote your anti-science and technology agenda. Well done.

16. mike47 Banned Banned

It will be helpful for our health and survival if we can have environment friendly technology without losing the luxury of technology itself . Too much pollution is not accepted and it can be reduced gradually by scientific research .

17. hay_you Registered Member

Science has really given man the ability to ruin the earth.
    Years ago man could leave the earth better and more productive than when he came into it. Everything was natural, even the wood he cut down to build a house, could grow back by the time he died.
    Today I can leave garbage that lasts a 1000 years. And I do nothing to help restore it. I drive a car, and am part of the problem.
    Science is telling us that thing are happening faster than they thought. And they are now noticing things they never thought of.
    It maybe to late already.
    Computers were supposed to make life easier, with more free time.My wife works in a Law office, now she does 10 times the work , and she doesn't get any extra days off or time.

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think you know my vote. genetic engineering of sorts, in the form of evolution.

no need to worry dears. those of us who believe in a perfect existence will achieve it, through death and rebirth. those who don't, will take care of destroying themselves, and get the hell out of our way.

19. mike47 Banned Banned

Life is easier today than hundreds of years ago . Also human longivity is longer and people live healthier and happier . Do not blame science and technology, blame the human greed and the human selfishness .

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

um, is easier supposed to be better?

and i'm not buying the healthier/happier stuff. we're just all on drugs now see.

21. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Well if the tasks that you hate doing become easier then you now have more time to do things you enjoy...and since things you enjoy make you happy..well :shrug:

22. hay_you Registered Member

If you noticed, I said science has given man, the ability to ruin this earth. I didn't say science is ruining the earth. Many things from science are beneficial. It is the use of science in wrong ways that really has caused a problem. I know that there are some scientists that wished they never discovered what they did, becasue of the use governments has put these things.
    But science can be bought and sold. Some research would only happen becasue of the interest from commercial companies. But scientists have to know that their findings could be used in ways they may never have thought of. The exploration of space , has brought many interesting and useful discoveries, but it also has brought many things for war.
    But if the bottom line is that we end up ruining the earth and maybe life, is that worth it?
    It really is that man does not have the ability to rule himself. There have been many ideologies, on rule , and many tested , but in the end they all go down. Going down now could take everything else with it.
    There is an answer to this but most people do not want it or believe it.

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well generally i sit behind a desk all day, which i hate. i hate traffic; spend a lot of time in that. what i like is gardening, sewing, cooking, homemaking, the arts, taking care of my soon to be husband, and kids. when in the hell is there time for that nowadays? nowadays that's what we pay institutions for. i don't like our society at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.