Humanoid Muscularity Index: Any Improvements I can make

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by caters, Apr 8, 2017.

1. caters Registered Member

I view my muscularity index as better than BMI because 2 people can have the same BMI but they wouldn't necessarily have the same HMI(Humanoid Muscularity Index). Same argument over BVI. Volumetric distribution does not equal fat vs muscle and fat vs muscle is what you really want. HMI provides that, BMI and BVI don't.

-3: Very fat

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

MI and cirrhosis chances are very high and GERD is almost a prerequisite for this because just about every humanoid in this category has GERD. A -3 HMI + pregnancy is even more of a problem because there is a high chance of pregnancy mortality and they might not even look like they are pregnant until they give birth or symptoms show up.

-2: Fat

This is better in a surplus but worse in a famine

MI and cirrhosis chances are much lower but GERD still happens in the majority of people with a -2 HMI. A woman with a -2 HMI might look pregnant at the very end of the third trimester and so again, would only know by symptoms until the 3rd trimester.

-1: Slightly fat

It is even better in a surplus but even worse in a famine.

These people have the best chance of a fat -> muscular transition before they die. GERD is uncommon but still happens. Children commonly reside among a range between -2 HMI and 0 HMI. Rarely do they ever get above 0 unless they have a genetic mutation that makes them always have a high muscle mass.

0: Neutral

This is like the lean physique, not fat but not muscular either. Unfortunately, anorexic people and in general underweight people also fall into this neutral category. If you are not underweight though, 0 HMI is just as good in a surplus as it is bad in a famine.

Health problem risks are at normal for their genetics and pregnancy shows in the 2nd trimester, just as it should. Perfectly healthy but not muscular

1: Slightly muscular

This is good in a surplus but bad in a famine. Females who train tend to be more around 1-2 HMI

There isn't much muscle definition but the body is definitely toned. Increase in muscle mass is easy at 1 HMI

2: Muscular

This is very good in a surplus but bad in a famine. Most men naturally fall under 1-2 HMI and after training fall under 2-3 HMI. Very few women fall under 2 HMI. It is just hard for a female body to gain that much muscle mass.

There is some muscle definition, especially in the abs, but overall, there isn't much muscle mass. Some people get a condition known as Athlete's Heart at this point.

3: Very muscular

This is absolutely the best in a surplus but the absolute worst in a famine.

There is a lot of muscle definition and muscle mass. Less than 1% of females get up this high. About the only ones that do are ones that have genetic mutations for increased muscle mass. Just about everyone with this high of muscularity has Athlete's Heart. Veins are seen in the muscle and you can see individual muscle movements.

Now, this is what I have for the baseline. This isn't going to be in my story but if I write a book all about this humanoid species, I will want to include this muscularity index.

So are there any improvements I can make to this index? Possibly having bone added to this for underweight vs not underweight(bony people tend to be underweight).

There are a lot of factors that can change where a person falls on the index.

Age: Usually tends to go up in the index as the person gets older until adulthood is reached, elderly tend towards 0
    Gender: Females are more likely to be fat and males are more likely to be muscular
    Diet: Protien rich favors muscle, carb rich favors fat
    Cardio: Doesn't favor muscle or fat, it favors neutral
    Strength training: Obviously favors more muscle and less fat
    Genetics: Some people have a genetic tendency to be fat or muscular

Is there anything I can do to make this index better?

Note: I posted this in the sci fi forum because this has to do with a fictional species that while they have anatomical differences from us, are still anatomically similar, especially with external anatomy. And their metabolism is basically the same as ours. If this belongs in the health and fitness thread, then by all means move it there.