Humans are so Human,

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Mar 16, 2006.

1. duendy Registered Senior Member

from where i am breathin, i feel you are ironically missin a crucual point. that thr trouble issss, tat man is trying to be his idea of 'God' or 'Gods'

when you rearch patriarchal history and mythology and compare it wit prepatriarchal insights, you find that this game has been going on in linear fashion.......thinkof the Pharaoh. he though he was a god-----the patriarchs believed they were next in line--the elite tat is. and in the matrialistic age where 'God is dead'-----scientists now believe they can outdo Nature. make it better, and evetually defeat death--or at least prolong life. and oter shit like Biotechnology. so it seems to me that tis process is more unconscious. they dont realize tey are still affected by patriarchal ideology

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

i totaolly agree with you
    and it is the emotion alot of the time that controls us to do what we do

but for those of us that think for ourselves we are the ones that do not have to be slaves
    because we as humans have freedom of choice
    but if we are always just doing what we "feel" like doing, then we arent really making a choice
    really its about discipline
    and for me alot of the time its doing what i dont feel like doing just for the sake of making a choice
    it's also about being completely honest with ourselves and other people
    with the things we dont really want to be in the first place anyways
    it's alot of the little things that help add up to using them in the big picure

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

No, actually, you were missing my point here, Duendy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I was talking about reaching ones infinite potential, which has nothing to with the patriarchal God, nor His followers, or even anything that you stated in your last post. You're addressing towards the persons who are dictating this infinite human potential. I am not. IMO, only you can dictate your highest possible potential, anything else would make it superficial to you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

i totaolly agree with you
    and it is the emotion alot of the time that controls us to do what we do

but for those of us that think for ourselves we are the ones that do not have to be slaves
    because we as humans have freedom of choice
    but if we are always just doing what we "feel" like doing, then we arent really making a choice
    really its about discipline
    and for me alot of the time its doing what i dont feel like doing just for the sake of making a choice
    it's also about being completely honest with ourselves and other people
    with the things we dont really want to be in the first place anyways
    it's alot of the little things that help add up to using them in the big picure

but like i said i agree with you
    the human nature completely discusts me
    the things we do just for whatever
    for me it's about doing everythign i can to be the person i want to be
    and not give into my natural flaws

and to answer the question "why is that?"

it is because only the truly righteous can be righteous
    nothign is handed over on a sliver platter
    and really to accomplish something we should want to do it for ourselves
    not to be accepted by other people
    when it comes down to it we are our best friend

8. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

I totally agree with you, Mr. Israel. It has a lot to do with discipline, and hard work and determination and will. But all these things make this possible, emotions does not.

I conclude my point with something someone else has stated a long time ago. It's an excerpt from the fourth book of Corpus Hermeticum, called The Key:

"And the wickedness of a Soul
    is ignorance; for the Soul that
    knows nothing of the things that
    are, neither the Nature of them,
    nor that which is good, but is
    blinded, rusheth and dasheth
    against the bodily Passions, and
    unhappy as it is, not knowing itself,
    it serveth strange Bodies, and evil
    ones, carrying the Body as a
    burthen, and not ruling, but ruled.
    And this is the mischief of the Soul."

Read the ignorance being human emotions, and that most people in general is being ruled by it, not the ruler over it. If we are not ruled by it, then the potential is truly infinite. To rule emotion takes determination, and the capability of viewing oneself externally, critically. To want to change who we are into something that's potentially better.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  9. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

yes definately not from emotion
    for one others can effect oru emotions and in that case we arent really thinking completely for ourselves
    also higher powers can control our emotions
    but not our actions
    and thats just the way it is why we have to think for ourselves

10. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

In my opinion, you're totally right.

Nice to know that someone is sharing my view.

11. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

well part of my influence in understanding this was in the bible
    i dunno if your into that or not
    but i am a little bit
    when moses was trying to leave egypt to worship his God with the rest of the israelites he asked the pharoh and god hardened his heart to turn him down
    never controled his actions but controlled his emotions to make him choose or not choose his actions
    but seeing as the pharoh probably had too much pride, etc... and which is also an emotion or whatever you want to call it he thought with his feelings and which means in the big picture did not really make his own choices

sorry didn't mean to ramble on that for so long was just giving an example

12. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

You are in no way out of line, Mr. Israel. One of my main points of reference, is like in your case, The Bible, although, I have found the practice of psychological magic (alchemy) much more useful on the subject. I don't think I actually believe in God, or, I'm not really sure yet, I'll have to study and learn much, much more, but I do believe in my highly divine potential as a human being. And to me, that's the essential point here.

13. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

cool man i havent heard of that "alchemy"
    i wouldnt mind checkign it out though
    for me it was somewhat the bible that got me started out
    i dont read it so much anymore
    i beleive in higher powers
    but that doesnt neccesarily mean i "trust" them
    i have difficulty trusting anythign but myself
    i dunno im starting to ramble again
    maybe you could outline alchemy for me a bit or give me some suggestions on some good books

14. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

There are two kinds of alchemy, one is 'scientfic' (chemical), and one is psychological. Both are based on the same - the process of making 'gold'. Essential in both is the 'quintessence', which in the psychological way means to regain access with ones Spirit, Soul, Self, Inner Light etc, in a way of separating it from all the other crap that's dwelling in ones personality, and focusing your minds attention on that only. Of course, there's a lot of different things you could do with psychological alchemy, but to me, that's basically the essential. In chemical alchemy, 'quintessence' is the ultimate matter. Some considered it to be gold, others considered it to be entirely different things, based upon ones intentions. The process was to separate and/or create this ultimate 'matter' by scientific/chemical research and experimenting. When the alchemy principle was invented, they didn't basically know a hell of a lot on the research of what the Earth consists of, or all the elements that we know of today. So to me, that's kindda unessential. But the psychological part is fun, and very, very challenging. It takes a bright head to fully comprehend it, and the persons who invented it, is far beyond me in knowledge, thus, this explanation is far from absolute. I may even be wrong about certain things, but this is my interpretation anyway.

If you want to look into it, I recommend starting at the top, and read through the ancient text of Corpus Hermeticum, as though has been to me, a catalyst for some deep profound thoughts and understanding.

Corpus Hermeticum can be found here, but, I recommend buying it for yourself online.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Corpus Hermeticum has very little to originally do with alchemy. It is a result of a natural fusion of the ancient Greek pagan mythology with the early Christian one. Later it was continued by gnostics, then revived again as Corpus Hermeticum in renaissance by Cosimo di Medici as he ordered the translation to Latin.
    It's inappropriate to call it alchemical philosophy, because it's not that, it's the mystical philosophy of Europe that was before and stayed after alchemy was abandoned.

p.s. Corpus Hermeticum wasn't invented, its' roots are those of mythology and mythology isn't invented, its' source is the human unconsciousness.
    And if you know Buddhism of the time when Buddhist misionaries were sent to Greece (also Egypt and Malta) during the time of Plato you'll notice many simmilarities,
    besides don't forget that both Greeks and Indians were and are indoeuropeans, so the simmilarities in the mythological worldview go even deeper than Buddhism. What I am informing you of is that you should not link Corpus Hermeticum with alchemy, because it's a lot older than alchemy is, what alchemists did was interpret the text during the middle ages, nothing more.

16. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

intense
    so would someone like david blaine be an example of this?

17. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

I know, I was out of line calling it an alchemical text, but it was CH that triggered my interrest in alchemy anyway, so that's my basic point of reference. I got highly fascinated by the profound philosophies of transmutation, and I think those thoughts on human/God relationship is why the alchemists adopted it as an alchemical text. The major point for me here is the point of transmutation, which is what we were talking about in the first place, not who wrote the text, that's a bit unessential to my ultimate point. But thanks for the info, anyway. It's always great to expand ones horizon.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  18. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

Call me a fool, but I haven't heard of David Blaine. Who is he and what have he done?

19. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Every animal has instincts to revert back to, usually based around survival and happiness, a mouse may repeatadly make the mistake of running into a non lethal trap to get the cheese because of its own hunger, humans arn't any different.
    Why would it be advantageous to have no emotions?
    I dont see how we're capable, just because we are evolving into something better, without the original instincts we would die out, so they remain there.
    Emotion is a very big part of humanity, compassion, caring, some creatures will leave the wounded for the good of the rest of the herd, some humans will do that, others wont, the humans that do may also feel guilt over it, but realise its necessity, its not really possible to break away from emotions or logic, they often conflict.
    It boils down to the old philosophy of there being no such thing as a selfless act, you do something to make someone else happy because it makes you happy to see them happy, so even then you are being ruled by emotion.
    In my opinion an emotionless creature would have to be static as any action would require an explanation which will most likely have traceable roots to an emotion, good or bad.

20. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

Crucial point, friend, but it's not about loosing ones emotions, but controlling ones emotions. I strongly believe that there's possible to rule our emotions with reasonable thinking, and by gaining knowledge on why we feel the way we do when we feel it. Then, IMO, it all boils down to awareness and reasonabillity. But you're totally right about the way it was put by the author of this thread.

21. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

well i dunno
    for me i dont really envy too many people
    but if there is anyone i envy it would be david blaine
    and not for the reasons most people might

i dunno look him up on the internet
    he is an inspiration for me
    the things he does such as standing on a 10 story high pilar for 3 days
    laying in a coffin like box for 7 days and staying in a large type of ice cube for 3 days
    i respect his discipline
    and the ways he goes about doing it
    i dunno hard to explain my own views on it
    also the littler things he does are also pretty cool to watch and i wish i could do that too
    but its not his abilities that impress me as much as his actions if you knwo what i mean
    and i know you do
    ya know
    i respect the humility bro

22. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Actually Chi you have that all wrong, we are animals and we use our higher conscience to behave 'humanely'.

23. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

i guess what you call human
    as for me i try hard to act as far from my view of "human" as possible
    our natural human ways and fealings and all that discust me
    i have respect for discipline
    and i even discust in myself alot of the time for not being able to acheive what i would like to