Humans Force Earth into New Geologic Epoch

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Star-gazer, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Star-gazer Registered Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I've gotta say something, considering how horribly hospitable the planet was thousands of years ago why do we really care that much what happens in the future? I mean we've been lucky so far not to die of a meteorite or some other collison in space, we've been able to beat plagues, wars, etc. If we one day suddenly do cease to exist or destroy the current climate what's the problem? We had a good run...

I suggest to you the world will end soon and life (other than man) shall flourish.

PS I'd like to see the dinosaurs back!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. marnixR in hibernation - don't disturb Registered Senior Member

talking of dinosaurs : the following passage from Jurassic Park (the book, not the movie) is particularly apt :

... Hammond said, "These animals ... might get out and destroy the planet."
    "You egomaniacal idiot," Malcolm said, in fury. "Do you have any idea what you are talking about ? You think you can destroy the planet ? My, what intoxicating power you must have." ... "You can't destroy this planet. You can't even come close."
    "Most people believe," Hammond said stiffly, "that the planet is in jeopardy."
    "Well, it's not," Malcolm said. ... "Let's be clear. The planet is not in jeopardy. We are in jeopardy. We haven't got the power to destroy the planet - or save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Yea that's what I mean!

8. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

lol 200 years of pollution destroyed a 4.5 billion year old planet?

Doubt it...

The world yes is undergoing a "change" evidence can support man as the culprit but when you put that evidence under scrutiny and consider its observation period of about 200 years in relations to its entire existence…4.5 billion years…. well you get the idea.

I agree human kind needs to find a “better” more efficient way to live in unison with the planet/universe and its resources otherwise we risk consuming ourselves to extinction. However I hesitate to make any conclusion that says our short industrialized existence has had any significant influence on this planet that is hasn’t endured before our time.

9. blobrana Registered Senior Member

A quick look at a satellite view of the Caspian sea will show that an entire region has been physically changed due to human activity. But the changes are not just to the geology but to the ecology. The current extinction rate will put the current period together with the top 5 planetary events.

See also
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=76767

10. Star-gazer Registered Member

I agree with everyone's statements, we can't destroy the earth, but we could easily destroy ourselves. It whould take a cosmic disaster beyond our capabilities to eradicate the earth completely. Life on this earth has endured a lot, it whould take something even more powerful than humans to destroy it completely.