Hypersonic Nuclear Missiles

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by RainbowSingularity, Apr 23, 2022.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i see Russia has test launched an upgrade ICBM said to be capable of carrying a hyper-sonic missile
    im guessing it can carry maybe 2 independent hyper-sonic missiles
    which guarantees a direct nuclear strike on its target
    with 6,800 mile range

i am guessing Russia will convert its long range missiles to 50/50 hyper-sonic so they have a guaranteed strike %

changes the premise of missile defense systems

depending on how they use them
    im guessing 1 hyper-sonic nuke can destroy missile defense systems so a large single 10 war head missile can hit 10 citys

im guessing an air born hyper-sonic nuke would fry all the sensors allowing a hole big enough to fly a few new tech conventional nukes through and hurl 30 nukes at USA citys which would be hard to defend against
    considering usa doesn't have missile defenses set up for their civilian citys

what would be the reply ? only possible would be full launch ?(guessing)

how does hyper-sonic nukes change the global missile defense system ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Depends on how many nuke subs out there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Not really any more than the existence of hypersonic missiles already have. Hypersonics merely render a pretty inefficient system even less so. At least at the moment. So the arms race just progresses to the next thing: producing and stopping hypersonics.
    I'd have thought that the launch of a nuclear weapon, whether ICBM or not, whether hypersonic or not, by US/NATO or Russia aimed at the other will likely signify the end of the world as we know it... unless the targetted country / alliance decide to "take it on the chin" to avoid that outcome. But not sure how likely that would be.
    Makes them less effective. But ultimately, so what?
    The US and Russia already have more nukes than they could ever possibly need, so whether they have to launch 4 or 1 to achieve a hit is pretty much inconsequential.
    Missile defense systems currently aren't all that effective. Yes, they can knock out the occasional missile, but experts don't think they're all that effective even against a limited nuclear strike (e.g. should North Korea launch all 20 of theirs).
    Nuclear weapons are ultimately their own deterrent. Mutually Assured Destruction and all that. If either US (and by dint of alliance, NATO) or Russia launch one at the other in anger, I think they're kissing their own ass goodbye. As well as everyone else's. The answer of what NATO might do if Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine, however, is unclear, as they have repeatedly stressed that they won't go to war with Russia directly over Ukraine.

So, honestly, I don't think the new "Satan-2" weapon really changes anything that wasn't already changing (re: hypersonic missiles).

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dicart Registered Senior Member

The best reply would be to launch some nuclear weapon ,high in the sky, close to the nuclear missile that is about to strike (or about to explode in the sky).
    There will be some minor damages due to this launch, but surely less than the strike who is intended to do full damage.

8. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

"I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops! Uh, depending on the breaks."
    -- General Buck Turgidson

9. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

russia probably cant get the required electronics to build hyper-sonic missiles now the sanctions have been created.

which is great news

10. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Some of our nuclear missiles might be thought of as defensive then.

ya know one thing we haven’t studied is the effect of high altitude nuclear explosions. Space explosions testing