Hypothosis scientic method.

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by pljames, May 14, 2013.

1. pljames Registered Member

I am trying to understand the phrase scientific method or the word hypothesis. For example one runs upon a anomaly in space, it has form but it is a mystery. Using the scientific method of giving it a name, then we try to figure what it is. In this anomaly, it is large and has a black hole in the middle of it and draws light into itself. For simplicity I would call it a (black hole). Now I must study it to see what and why it does what it does. How can I guess what I do not understand. In observing it is step one, but the word hypothesis/theory is a mystery to me. How can I theorize what it does and why I have nothing to go on but the observation? Paul

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

hypothesis is basically an educated guess.
    educated guess is a guess based on logic, reason, and available evidence.

if an hypothesis gains enough evidence to support it it becomes a theory.

if a theory gains enough evidence and no evidence has ever disproved the theory then it becomes a scientific law.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

Not quite. In science, the theory comes first. Theory seeks to explain observations made by natural historians and experimentalists. Once the theory seems sound, the hypothesis says, "If the theory is correct, THIS should happen if we do THAT". If we then do "THAT", and "THIS happens" the theory gains a bit of support. If "THIS happens not", then the theory likewise loses support. In either case, we have gained more observations on which to improve the theory. And around and around they go!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes, quite:
    A scientific hypothesis is a proposed explanation of a phenomenon which still has to be rigorously tested. In contrast, a scientific theory has undergone extensive testing and is generally accepted to be the accurate explanation behind an observation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothesis

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  8. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

A proposed explanation, derived from a theory. No scientist "guesses" based on nothing.

9. Username Registered Senior Member

I have to agree with leopold here.

A hypothesis is indeed an educated guess. That is how one would go about creating a hypothesis. Someone may have experienced or observed a subject (area of focus or study) and phenomena, to the point that they are capable of making an educated guess. An educated guess is a hypothesis in the sense that it is making an assumption and asking a question.

A question for a hypothesis would be: “Do seat belts save more people’s lives that use them versus those that do not who are involved in car accidents?”

You would then use the scientific method to determine which is true. It could be based on statistics, data, observation (direct or indirect), and experimentation.

Once someone has gathered enough evidence to support a hypothesis one can give an accurate assessment and say: “Seat belts save more lives in car accidents than it does with those who do not wear them.”

A theory involves more and more hypotheses and testing. As in it is a collaboration of many hypotheses that many people have tested and studied. It’s not just making a single statement or a single hypothesis. It’s providing someone with a whole plethora of information that has been studied extensively.

10. Username Registered Senior Member

Also, to further expand on the above scenario of the seat belt hypothesis. Just because something is proven doesn’t mean people should abide or live (their lives) by it.

I don’t think people should be force to wear seat belts just because it saves lives. Same with a lot of other things, people should have the freedom to choose what they want to do regardless of some superficial norm.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

All I can say is you are both incorrect.

Observe, theorize, hypothesize, test. That is the scientific method in short.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

I. The scientific method has four steps

1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.

2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.

3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.

4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

If the experiments bear out the hypothesis it may come to be regarded as a theory or law of nature (more on the concepts of hypothesis, model, theory and law below).
    http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_labs/appendixe/appendixe.html

13. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

No, they are correct. Hypothesis comes before theory.

The scientific method has four steps
    1.Observation and description of a phenomenon. The observations are made visually or with the aid of scientific equipment.
    2.Formulation of a hypothesis to explain the phenomenon in the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.
    3.Test the hypothesis by analyzing the results of observations or by predicting and observing the existence of new phenomena that follow from the hypothesis. If experiments do not confirm the hypothesis, the hypothesis must be rejected or modified (Go back to Step 2).
    4.Establish a theory based on repeated verification of the results.